Roll on the football season!

Apologies.
I didn’t realise that comments had closed on the previous article. The site does that because old posts attract lots of spam and it’s just more work for me having to get rid of it.

The truth is I don’t really have much to say, but thought some of you might like somewhere you can continue to comment to each other, if you haven’t forgotten about the site that is.

You all know that I’m not in the slightest bit interested in speculation about who we might sign and it’s a view backed up by Smith-Rowe having signed a new contract with Arsenal after our signing him was in the bag.
Likewise, Grealish was a cert to move to Citeh and while I guess he still might, my opinion says it’s looking less likely. That’s after even I fell into the trap of posting that it was a done deal.

What is factual is that we beat Walsall last night either 4-0 or 4-1. I genuinely don’t know because I couldn’t even be bothered to read about it. Friendly results mean nothing to me after Villa players looking poor in pre-season, the year we won the league!
Am I just a tight git, or am I correct in saying watching the game on VillaTV for a fiver is bloody expensive?
I can understand a fiver if you’re going to watch at the ground, but…
Anyway, I actually found a site that was streaming it and started to watch it. Until every time I went fullscreen I was bombarded with adverts. I turned it off after a few minutes.

Buendia seems a great signing. I wasn’t at all convinced about us signing Ashley Young, but my son-in-law(ish) has convinced me that his versatilty will prove to be a big plus. It’s a very good point and apparently he looked the part last night. From the little I’ve read about his signing, he jumped at the chance to come back to Villa and didn’t want to go anywhere else. We also apparently aren’t paying him a massive wage.
The cynic in me wonders if he still owns a house around here, meaning the move doesn’t disturb much for him.
I think a big part of me was annoyed that he left us, but along with Barry, Delph and others, I don’t suppose you can’t blame him.
I’ll wish him luck. He does now play for us again, after all.

Elsewhere, we’re going to sign the world, as per usual.

August the 14th can’t come quick enough.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 8
  1. OLL again
    OLL again July 30, 2021 at 9:54 am .

Reputations: Built over time and destroyed in an instant. Only one good reason why NSWE would sell Jack and that is because his shin injury is evidence of a permanent weakness. Otherwise the goodwill the new owners have accrued will be trashed. Anyone who gives a leg up to the Manchester duo is admitting for the future we play not even second fiddle to them but somewhere up the back. Also establishes them as weak owners.

Correct tactics even if Jack submits a formal request is to say you are here for 4 more years and can play in the reserves if your attitude is wrong.

1. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 July 30, 2021 at 11:33 am .

Understand your thinking OLL but it’s not going to happen.

The owners have already stated they want Grealish to stay and they want to build a side around him. They will do everything to persuade him (including another new contract less than 12 months after his last one) to persuade him. If Grealish has decided he wants to go to pursue ‘cheap’ trinkets then he’s no use to them or to Villa and as good business men they will look to cash in (which is what I would want them to do). It’s Grealish’s call.

Perhaps Grealish should look to that great Italian Totti who played his whole career at ‘his’ club Roma and said ‘helping Roma to win one Serie A title is worth more than winning ten with Juventus’.

Up to you JG.

2. Holte
    Holte July 30, 2021 at 1:38 pm .

If you believe all the press talk we won’t have any of our ‘first eleven’ by the end of the transfer window. Grealish, McGinn, Martinez, Watkins and El Ghazi all linked with other clubs. I’m surprised Buendia hasn’t been mentioned because after all, Villa are a nursery club for the big six and the rest of the European elite.
    Personally until it is announced officially by Villa, then i won’t be taking any interest in it whatsoever.
    Just seen our away kit and it does look good, not that i would ever pay extortionate amounts for it. It will be interesting to know how many fans have had Grealish on the back of any new shirts purchased. Massive refunds possible i wonder.

1. WARRIOR
      WARRIOR July 30, 2021 at 2:53 pm .

Goodbye, Jack hello Leon and Tammy and Todd thank you VTID

3. steve
    steve July 30, 2021 at 3:46 pm .

So what city have offered £100 million. NSWE don’t need the money.
    This is down to Jack and whether or not he wants to lead villa back to the top.
    if he doesn’t it will set us back massively.
    This is ‘THE STATEMENT’ are we on the up or not. if we can’t keep our best players others will follow (martinez, watkins) and we become less attractive.
    The next few days are massive.

1. Big Fat Ron
      Big Fat Ron July 30, 2021 at 4:54 pm .

Steve, you’ve pretty much summed it up. We all like a bit of hyperbole, but your statement is what it boils down to.

It should be a case of do you want to win honours with Villa – your club, of City. Very simple. Because if he’s good enough for them, that means he’s capable of winning honours. Does he want to lead that at his club, or be a supporting act at a random club, which has been proven to cheat financially. He knows NSWE will and are funding a squad that can and will challenge for honours. He can have more money if he wants it. So I don’t see any reason why he should choose to leave, other than one more year without European football. City should be banned from Europe anyone, so they dodged that bullet very well.

Dodgy shins or not, everyone would be gutted if he left – fans, players, staff, owners. We can’t afford to let him go. I hope his chums in the England setup didn’t turn his head in the summer.

1. Hitchens60
        Hitchens60 July 30, 2021 at 5:40 pm .

My point entirely BFR – this is Grealish’s decision and his alone. If he decides to go then he’s taking the easy option.

2. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 July 30, 2021 at 5:48 pm .

Steve, it will be a setback if Grealish decides to abandon ship and, I for one, will feel he’s let every single Villa fan down. BUT our owners are winners and they don’t want players not willing to fight for the cause.

Look what Eden’s has achieved in the NBA after persuading one of America’s top players to stay and fight the cause. The polar opposite to Randy!

If he goes they will invest in top, top players and I don’t see a procession of players leaving.

No one – not even Grealish – is bigger than our club.
      UTV

4. Big Fat Ron
    Big Fat Ron July 30, 2021 at 5:34 pm .

Completely random comment: Umbro are still knocking out some very nice kits, looking at some of the new ones for this season. Love the Kappa gear, but would be nice to go ‘back to the future’ some day. Would like to see a yellow and sky blue third for us; the one in the early nineties was nice.

5. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 July 30, 2021 at 7:04 pm .

On a different but probably connected note, it’s being reported that Villa have bid £25m for Ward-Prowse turned down by Southampton.

I say it’s connected not to suggest a replacement but that Grealish’s decision might impact on whether a player like JWP pushes for a move to Villa.

Expect Villa to go back with an improved bid.

Next week or so is going to be very interesting.

6. WARRIOR
    WARRIOR July 30, 2021 at 7:30 pm .

Warrior here I would like to withdraw my last message it was made in haste so sincere apologies VTID

7. WARRIOR
    WARRIOR July 30, 2021 at 8:14 pm .

8. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 July 31, 2021 at 6:53 am .

So it’s official ManC have bid £100m for Grealish.

Over to you Jack but if you go don’t expect all Villa fans to wish you well.

1. WARRIOR
      WARRIOR July 31, 2021 at 8:22 am .

Fair comment Hitch imagine 40 000 fans booing him every time he touches the ball or enters Villa Park from Villan to Villain I remember a certain F Delph heart overhead crap go if you want to go go but don’t treat us loyal Villans with contempt £130 million sounds good. VTID

1. Hitchens60
        Hitchens60 July 31, 2021 at 8:49 am .

Exactly Warrior

2. villa123
        villa123 July 31, 2021 at 8:51 am .

Delph insulted the Villa fans, that’s why he’s hated.
        Whereas I actually think many fans will be thinking that if Jack does go, it’ll have genuinely been a heart-wrenching decision and be more sympathetic.

I may well be wrong about that, but the thought of lots of fans booing the player who’s lit up Villa park more than any other in a very long time doesn’t sit well with me.

1. WARRIOR
          WARRIOR July 31, 2021 at 10:17 am .

Sorry if I upset fellow Villans with my comments but I speak from my heart I travel from Wiltshire to Brum 194 miles round trip and go to every home game as I can and I’m a pensioner and have followed Villa all my life so VTID

9. steve
    steve July 31, 2021 at 8:49 am .

If Jack goes i am afraid he will kill the dream.
    One of our own will be saying he doesn’t believe in the project.
    That sends a message to watkins martinez etc that you may as well go to the perceived bigger clubs when they come calling.
    So Jack over to you. Back up what you have been telling us or just go.
    I don’t like saying this but if spurs and man utd had made decent offers in the last couple of years i reckon he would have gone then.
    I hope he stays and we maintain our upward momentum but i now fear the worst.

1. villa123
      villa123 July 31, 2021 at 9:06 am .

I think Jack could have gone to Spurs if he wanted to. But I don’t think he wanted it and was happy to help us improve.
      We’ve done that and he may actually be thinking that the massive fee would help the club kick on again.

The thought of leaving for the champions must really appeal.
      But as has been oft said, will he actually get in the side?
      Pep has raved about him, but that doesn’t mean he’d start every game.
      Whereas he’s a cert in any Villa side.

It must be a really difficult decision and I’ve seen it said that he really doesn’t know what to do.
      Which means he’ll be in the hands of his advisors. And they’re going to tell him to go for the highest wage, pure and simple.
      That seems crazy, when you consider we’re going to offer him £150k a week or more, but we have to remember that the next game could be career ending.

1. steve
        steve July 31, 2021 at 9:18 am .

We as fans all want to see villa play in europe and the champions league. The next couple of years if jack stays with the owners we have is our best chance in a generation. Jack will blow all that if he goes purely because others will follow.
        Winning with man city is not an achievement its expexted and losing is failure.
        Winning with villa is immortal legend status.

1. steve
          steve July 31, 2021 at 9:31 am .

For what its worth i believe this has nothing to do with the ambtion of NSWE. I Genuinely believe they want us to get to the top.
          This is all on Jack
          His decision will affect us for the foreseeable future.
          The Last thing we need now is our owners losing interest as lerner did when o’neil left.