Relegated clubs settled. So what do you reckon?

I know. It’s just like buses, where I don’t post for ages and then you get two at once.
Apologies in advance, for those who like time to digest things.

So, after Sunderland beat Everton 3-0, the relegation places have been settled and Norwich and Newcastle are coming down with us.

I have to confess to being a bit shocked, as although Sunderland have been on a decent run, so I didn’t expect Everton to seemingly roll over so easily.
Martinez’s position is already being brought into question and today’s result can’t have helped.

But who cares?

The big question now is who do we think are favourites to come straight back up?

It depends how you look at it, in my opinion, but if you look at organisation, it has to be Norwich.
They’re in a much better position, having been there more recently.
Mind you, Newcastle beat us in that sense, but they’re just as messed up as we are.

Resources-wise, that’s an interesting one, as Ashley will probably throw Newcastle a bone.
What we’ll get is anyone’s guess, as Lerner might still be in charge, at one end, or we might have a new owner, at the other end of the spectrum.

But I’d expect Norwich to be favourites in that sense too, as they know the script.

It really shouldn’t be like that, as both Newcastle and Villa are way bigger than Norwich.
But it does demonstrate how you need to be nimble and much more up to the speed of things generally and not live on times past.

Leicester, even before they won the league, haven’t gone un-noticed on my part, in that they were just behind us in turnover.
That should never be right, but they seem to have called on foreign fans, who are seemingly far more willing to spend than we are.

Which demonstrates that the Villa are a great proposition, if you actually know what you’re doing.

So what am I actually saying?
I don’t know, except I don’t see us being favourites to come back up.
In fact, I doubt we should be anywhere near, as things stand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. swampduck May 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm . Reply

Hong Kong Pharmaceutical company linked to Villa takeover, Gabby and Jack will be happy…free drugs. http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/830245900?-11177:843:0

1. pat57 May 13, 2016 at 10:20 am . Reply

If we keep playing the same crap next season they should distribute some to the fans!

2. Tekkers48 May 13, 2016 at 10:28 am . Reply

I’ve a gut feeling we will here more about the takeover this evening. Club will put out good news story before last game in Prem game to try and keep spirits up. How good the news is though is anyone’s guess !

1. giddyvillan May 13, 2016 at 10:30 am . Reply

If it includes Lerner has now left the building for good to me that would be fantastic news.

1. DSVilla May 13, 2016 at 11:10 am . Reply

I think he left the building for good a few years ago Giddy.

3. Badger 123 May 13, 2016 at 1:20 pm . Reply

I see Watford have basically sacked Flores. What a joke. What do they expect? Although I suppose it shows ambition.

4. Bill Pearson May 13, 2016 at 1:48 pm . Reply

I’m not very happy with some news about the potential buyer’s, they sold out 3 years ago from the Chinese government and are not as wealthy as first thought, they are having a job to get the money together. This has come from a businessman that deals in China. I hope to God its not true.he said that the farmacy was in with the government but pulled out over money problems.

1. steve May 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm . Reply

since the ice hockey bloke earlier in the week i think it is all bullshit and can’t bring myself to believe anything anymore until happens.
      How reliable is the Mirror anyway. If they make up enough shit surely at some point they will be right.
      I am pretty sure lerner won’t sell to anybody who is struggling to raise the money.

2. Hitchens 60 May 13, 2016 at 2:54 pm . Reply

Bill – if true (and I’m not doubting you personally) Interesting and disturbing. The Mirrir reports them as still bring Government owned BUT then go to say that Lerner pulled out of a deal with the same group last year following the crash of the Chinese stock market.

If, as rumoured, there are plenty of suitors (including allegedly Ellison and Oracle) and given Hollis’ statement of a couple of weeks ago then why go with a cash strapped buyer – it doesn’t make sense! But when did any of Lerner’s business decisions make sense?

1. originallondonlion May 13, 2016 at 6:34 pm . Reply

Bill & H60. Rui Kang are a consistently loss-making company whose shares were worth 8 HKD 5 years ago and are worth 0.28 HKD today. Their results make Aston Villa look like a gold mine. The whole company is not worth 50 Million Sterling.

As far as I can see they are still listed as an independent company on HKSE (0837HK) not as a subsidiary of a bigger group. The story does not hang together as yet.

1. Bill Pearson May 13, 2016 at 6:49 pm . Reply

OLL, looks as if my Chinese friend got it right, after all he was a government official for industries, mind you it was 12 years ago. Im worried now that Lerner doesn’t give a fuck who gets it.

1. originallondonlion May 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm .

Further to my post Rui Kang have just been taken over by an even smaller China Wah Han (HK638) another Chinese pharma company listed on HKSE but worth only about £27 Million. This firm does own a chain of Sports Clubs and health stores called MEGAFIT in the PRC. Perhaps Jack and Gabby are going out to do a photo shoot – they will do the “Before” pix.

In summary the T/O is tosh until we see where the money will come from.

2. Hitchens 60 May 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm . Reply

Thanks OLL – on that basis I don’t see how they can raise the £75m nor do I understand why Hollis would be in discussion with them as it flys in the face of his recent statement; anyway I believe he is more astute than that. I wonder whether the Mirror have been fed a ‘blind’ to divert attention from the real buyers which could still be Chinese (rumours of a Chinese billionaire interest has previously been reported).

Lerner scares me – can’t trust the guy when it comes to business decisions.

Got everything crossed but wish they would get a move on as I’m suffering with ‘pins and needles’!

5. Dave.C May 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm . Reply

Changing the subject, can we have Quique Sanchez Flores please, Watford must be mad to let him go!

1. Hitchens 60 May 13, 2016 at 6:58 pm . Reply

Looks like we’re not the only club with owner problems! Next Watford statement – ‘we’re closely monitoring the Leicester model and will be planning our business on a similar basis’ – more moneyball then!

2. originallondonlion May 13, 2016 at 7:04 pm . Reply

Watford isn’t a football club, it is a ‘used manager showroom’.

I can’t understand everything Flores says, but more than I could of Lambert – so it might be progress.

3. Andrew May 13, 2016 at 11:10 pm . Reply

Watford are owned by Udinese’s owners, in Serie A. They’re well known for cutting and changing the team every season, they show loyalty to no one. They’ll target obscure youngsters and hope they come good and sell them off for profit. Yes their form since January was poor and they think Flores would have continued that into next season and they would’ve been relegated, but they’re soon to get all 3 of their sides relegated, Granada as well.

6. nath May 13, 2016 at 8:52 pm . Reply

i hope premier league don’t hand the parachute payment over, until lerner has gone. looks like the chinese takeover is another red herring, well i hope it is, knowing lerner and his business skills, he would sell 2 anybody, even if that was a company intent on completing lerners job and ruining our great club further if that was possible.

timescale on such takeover, ppl have said end of this month, that is way too late too appoint a manager. preparations for the pre season, players need to be show the exit door with a swift boot, players need recruited and i cant see all this first game is 6th august. 2 months away end of month. not like they havent had time to get sorted, gardes been gone ages ago

1. Andrew May 13, 2016 at 10:54 pm . Reply

Player’s cant be recruited till July 1st anyways. I know you mean talked about, scouted and such but the month of June is long enough for a new manager to arguably know who he wants. Most manager’s should know going into jobs who they would want and such.
      Also can’t sell anyone till July 1st, contract’s on the likes of N’Zogbia aren’t up till June 30th.

Unfortunately it was always inevitable it would take this long, and while yes, Garde was gone a while ago, he was never going to get replaced till the end of the season. We all knew we were down, no manager was saving us and there was no point in Lerner spending more money to bring in someone. New owner will pick who’s manager, or let Hollis do so.

7. JD VILLA May 13, 2016 at 11:08 pm . Reply

To stand any chance we have to get rid of all the shit and that’s probably most of the present senior squad.We will have to buy players that are battle championship die hards to couple with our youth.If we can do this with the right manager won’t matter who’s in charge.Do this and we will be up there.UpTheVilla