My stance on RDM and should we let our better players go?

I think it’s only fair that I make my position regarding Roberto Di Matteo totally clear.
That way, there’s no ambiguity and while I believe I tend to be pretty straight-forward in my views and they normally conform, so I do sometimes go against the flow.

So what to think?
Well, the truth is, I have serious doubts about him, even more so after reading that he lost the players at Schalke;

“There were issues within the Schalke squad. Three games before the end of the season Di Matteo and the director suspended three of the players Kevin-Prince Boateng, Sidney Sam and Marco Höger for “team-spirit-threatening behaviour.”

Ok, the article goes on to say that the decision wasn’t his.
But my worry is that we have what seems a very similar problem down the Villa, with the likes of Gabby, Lescott and Richards calling the shots. A situation that quite simply can’t be allowed to continue.

Unless.

Is RDM strong enough to walk in and hoof the trouble-makers?
I’m not convinced he is in the slightest, although hopefully, it’s exactly why he wants Clark in; to seize these players by the proverbial throat and find out what they’re really thinking.

But is it really an impossibility to think that the older players just might have it right, in saying that the younger players don’t have the right way of looking at things?
On the face of it, that’s just preposterous, if we look at the seasoned player’s performances over the season.
But maybe we might need to consider that they feel they’ve been banging their heads against a brick wall?

Before you shoot me down, I’ve been in this position, where you feel you’re wasting your time.
And while it’s no excuse whatsoever in not doing your best, I’d suggest it’s easy to get dragged down to a lower level.
I seriously wonder if that is what might have gone on over the last however long?

Whatever, while I suspect that will be a not very popular view, I’m throwing it out for discussion.

All that said, as I’ve said before, I’m very willing to give the new team a fair go.
I can see the possibilities, if things go to plan.
Hence we need to get behind the team, especially if we get the goal scorer, the goalie, a CB and a decent midfielder that we need.
Blimey, that’s the whole spine of a team, isn’t it?
Hmm.

And then there’s talk of Amavi going to Liverpool for £11 mill, although I’ve seen reference that says it’s total rubbish.
Would I sell him?
Would I proverbial!

While I accept that some of our better players will probably leave, so I believe we should retain them if we’re going to show any serious signs of ambition.

We really need to do our best to keep Amavi, Ayew, Grealish and maybe Traore (if the supposed doubling of wages isn’t true).
If we let these players go, it will show us what the new ownership/management is all about.
And no, sell them to re-invest simply doesn’t cut it for me. These are players who could light up the league and give us something to cheer about.
God, how have we missed those times?

We’re either going balls out to get straight back up or we aren’t.

I’m hoping we’re going for it and any “transition” talk is just that.

1. langfordvilla June 7, 2016 at 1:05 pm . Reply

Bamford would be a good choice at Championship level but not at 10mil IMO. We have to plan for a return to the PL 2017/18 and Bamford has been found wanting in the PL up to now. May be worth a punt at 6mil or thereabouts and given another chance in the PL.

1. DSVilla June 7, 2016 at 1:12 pm . Reply

Agree with Langford. He looks talented but a bit lightweight from what I’ve seen. £10m is too steep.

2. langfordvilla June 7, 2016 at 1:44 pm . Reply

Think we should look for an experienced leader in the midfield on perhaps a short term contract 12/18 months maybe.
    With both Man Utd and Everton both having new managers how about Going for Barry or Carrick? I dont see either Mourinho or Koeman giving them much playing time next season……just a thought!

I think the transfer window opens this Thursday.

1. Hitchens 60 June 7, 2016 at 2:01 pm . Reply

Agreed Langford but hasn’t it been reported they have both been offered extended contracts and I’m pretty sure Barry has said he’s going nowhere; I am hoping that DM with his contacts will pull of a coup or two in finding experienced quality players for midfield and defence.

On a related point we really do need to utilise the loan system to its maximum effect – something we’ve failed to do (with one or two exceptions) in the past. I’ve read that DM favours a loan move for Bamford which would be a good deal if he can pull it off.

1. Ardent Villain June 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm . Reply

Would like Barry to come back as captain for a season or so, but can’t see it happening unless Everton tell him that their new manager isn’t going to play him, and RDM can make a persuasive case to him for dropping down a division…

1. langfordvilla June 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm . Reply

Totally agree Ardent. I am not convinced that he will get much playing time next season under a new regime at Everton….would be a great move if we could get him.

3. langfordvilla June 7, 2016 at 2:07 pm . Reply

Yes Bamford on loan would make sense. Didnt know that about Barry/Carrick. Cant think of too many others who could play ‘a leadership role’ for us who might be available….but we could certainly do with one!……perhaps Petrov if he can get sufficiently fit!

1. Hitchens 60 June 7, 2016 at 7:04 pm . Reply

Langford – I think Petrov (if DM is convinced of his fitness) as club captain would be a brilliant move bringing real respect and heart to the team and the club. Wouldn’t expect him to play 90 minutes of every game but his presence would do wonders for morale of the fans and hopefully show the players how important it id to give your all for the shirt.

1. LANGFORDVILLA June 7, 2016 at 7:43 pm . Reply

H60….fully agree. Players should be inspired by Stan. Its amazing to see what he has come back from. All young players should take note! And you can rest assured that it isnt about money…..so refreshing in this day and age!

4. nath June 7, 2016 at 6:44 pm . Reply

this could be a very exciting transfer window, names we are already linked too shows we mean business, watch out championship………. we are in it, to win it and we are off, back to premiership.

5. JD Villa June 7, 2016 at 7:29 pm . Reply

Cant see Gabby,Richards,lescott being around heard on the grapevine Di Matteo has the go ahead to release any player he wants to and replace him could be exiting.utv

6. KentNielsen77 June 7, 2016 at 8:57 pm . Reply

Delighted to see us linked with Dwight Gayle tonight – top class finisher.

1. nath June 7, 2016 at 9:22 pm . Reply

i think gayle is less of a risk than bamford, also if the 10 million is the fee chelsea want, then i would go for gayle you should pick him up for under 4m and hes a better finisher again in my opinion.

2. LANGFORDVILLA June 7, 2016 at 9:26 pm . Reply

Got to agree….Gayle is a much better option than Bamford IMO.

1. Jb June 7, 2016 at 9:55 pm . Reply

Get them both! Ayew, gestede, Bamford and Gayle:)

1. Bum Bum June 7, 2016 at 11:00 pm . Reply

And don’t forget Gabby! The man with more cautions than goals!!!

7. bencey83 June 8, 2016 at 12:38 pm . Reply

Gayle and Bamford could be very good.

8. bencey83 June 8, 2016 at 12:39 pm . Reply

Got to wonder why we’re getting linked with better players now we’re in the Championship than when we were in the Premiership?!?

9. mike lewis August 1, 2016 at 9:59 pm . Reply

I think we are no better than last year and again lack of investment

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath August 2, 2016 at 7:56 pm . Reply

Agree this guy is as bad if not worse than Lerner. At least Lerner spend loads of cash to get us into top 4 but unfortunately mon pissec it up the wall