My PERSONAL stance re the club and Lambert

Ok, so today we had a pretty bad result.
Actually, I don’t think it was that bad when you weigh up our record at St James’ Park.
But it was a loss, where many of us thought we might take a point(s).
A quite important result really, as if you take the Norwich game out of the equation, we’re now in for a tough run of fixtures, which will probably see us get sucked closer to the relegation zone.

Scary times, yet again and quite frankly, bloody annoying after what we’ve witnessed over the last few years (was it really that bad under MON? I don’t think so, but many disagree, which is fair enough).

And with today’s result, so come the criticisms from those that think we should now sack Lambert and get someone else in.

Well, I’ll say straight off that I think this is totally the wrong thing to do AT THIS TIME.

Whereas a short while back I thought Lambert might have lost the dressing room, I now don’t believe he has. And that is what makes the difference for me.
I keep coming back to “what would a new manager add NOW?” and I’m not seeing the answer.

The players, to me, just aren’t good enough. Something many of us said would be the result if you try and do things on the cheap and any top manager would get rid of all but one or two, if he came in; we all know that.
Hence until the strategy from above changes, changing managers that we might currently expect to come in will achieve nothing.

Hence I think we’re stuck with what we have and Lambert stays.
Indeed, the hierarchy decreed such, when the word came out that the club is in discussions with Lambert about a new contract.
This is strange, to say the least, but no doubt stability is the main reason, which I can see some merit in.
But for me, it’s all about the progression that we’re supposed to be making.

We’re struggling again and the footy has mostly been rubbish this season, in my opinion.
We’ve reverted to pragmatic tactics and to me it’s a classic sign of failure and acceptance that we’re just not good enough. Yet who signed the players?
And where exactly is the so called progression? I’m sorry, but I just can’t see any.
It’s not as though we’re bringing the kids through either, are we?

My own stance, if we just scrape survival, or god forbid get relegated, will change, as it will prove that we have made no progress whatsoever, regardless of the PR that the club has come out with.
Then, a serious campaign, which I suspect would be backed by other Villa sites, might be on the cards.

Until then, we have to try and support the club/team, I’m afraid.
I know. It’s difficult.

1. Foxy February 25, 2014 at 11:27 am . Reply

I was thinking about the cups last night, how we’ve been knocked out by lower league teams three out of four times in the current and last season. Once isn’t unlikely, twice (if you’re being kind) is possibly just bad luck but three times suggests the manager and coaches really don’t have a clue. It’s not like we have a club full of bad players, or don’t have 11 decent players to choose from, with some decent subs available. I was happy with the idea of the club being rebuilt using youth and promising talent from abroad, lower leagues and most importantly, the club’s own academy. The manager and coaches clearly haven’t succeeded in doing anything with them though. How many times has the team played properly and won by luck (i.e. the opposition failing to score after 20 attempts on goal combined with us having three breaks, three shots and three goals)? Twice?

2. Naughtius Maximus February 25, 2014 at 12:16 pm . Reply

hi guys, if this works i’ll be using my gravatar email from now on due to imposters.
    there’s only one Naughtius Maximus.

1. Naughtius Maximus February 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm . Reply

btw this thing of goal diff saving us, im not so sure, it’ll only take a couple of 3 nilers or a spanking by someone to drop us right in it even more and that is a distinct possibility.

3. Naughtius Maximus February 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm . Reply

article here on the aftermath of the Newcastle game and ties in with the rumour someone posted saying there were rows going on after the game in the villa dressing room.
    its played down a little maybe and sometimes its good to clear the air but after a game like that when you’ve lost the game literally seconds before returning to the dressing room players and more importantly the manager and staff should be nipping that in the bud as what gets said is based totally on emotion.
    on reflection you can get the team together and give a balanced bollocking if you will and let players have a say based on reason and objectivity and hopefully that will be constructive. having a blazing row straight after the game when things can be said that normally would be between team mates is not a good thing.
    team spirit and unity is vital at a time like this, this news is very, very concerning in my opinion.

4. slaughtered mutton February 25, 2014 at 1:12 pm . Reply

could someone write a article showing games left and how many points you think may be needed ~ plus who we think will be relegated ~ might help take our minds of the dire situation we find ourselves in again
    ltrs

1. GIDDYVILLAN February 25, 2014 at 1:58 pm . Reply

What’s the point?we’re far too hit & miss atm possibly more miss.i think we perform better against the better teams in the div than the poorer,but it’s too hard to gauge how we will perform on the day.so i think it’s pure guess work the outcome of our remaining fixtures,i know one thing we need to start accumilating points quickly for team moral.i live in hope.

5. Foxy February 25, 2014 at 4:22 pm . Reply

I was on the Southampton site earlier trying to find anyone at all who can tell me if the U-18s match on Saturday is going to be behind closed doors (only 10 miles from me so I’ll just rock up and hope) and saw this on their ticketing site:

Category A:

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham

Category B:

Cardiff, Everton, Fulham, Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham

Category C:

Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Hull, Norwich, Stoke, Swansea, West Bromwich Albion

Embarrassing isn’t it?

1. Foxy February 25, 2014 at 4:23 pm . Reply

Oh and I keep posting at the bottom of the thread and my posts get dropped randomly in the mix. I think that glitch is back again.

1. GIDDYVILLAN February 25, 2014 at 5:07 pm . Reply

Mate it could be due to a number of posts being deleted due to a tosser using other users names last night.that’s my theory