Latest club statement from Villa; Running scared?

No doubt I’m a bit late picking up on this story, but that’s what you get when you do real work for a living, in a job that doesn’t involve looking at a computer, sneaking peeks at the internet for the latest Villa news.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a job like that. I’d be able to keep you all more up to date, faster.
But never mind; I enjoy grafting my proverbials off. I think it keeps me in the real world.

The point is I’ve come home to see that Paul Faulkner has released a statement asking for everyone involved with the club to “stick together” or something similar (the truth be told, even though I specifically went out of my way to read the article, my eyes just glazed over).

I don’t know about you, but for me there is something intrinsically wrong with Faulkner and the position he occupies at the club. It, in a way sums up what’s also wrong with football today.

He is purely a bean counter, who doesn’t give two hoots about the club.
Yes, I know I said it just the other day, but I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking it, because he’s oft complained about. And not just on this site.

Anyway, why is the title as it is?
Well, it’s quite simple to me.
It appears that someone who “matters” heard the protests from the most loyal supporters at Selhurst Park and realised that the fans might actually be starting to seriously wake up to what’s going on at the club.
Not that we didn’t wake up a good while back. We did, but I suspect the hierarchy probably genuinely thought it’s a recent thing.
That’s how out of touch they are in my opinion.

So, out comes this plea from someone who probably doesn’t realise how despised he is by the people who go and actually support the team.
What a mistake.
If it was a plea from someone we actually cared about, eg A Sid or a God or a Taylor etc, it might carry some weight.

Of course, Randy Lerner couldn’t have done the pleading. How could he, when he’s never here to support the team and “stick together”?
So they pick what they think is the next best option.
Oh dear.

The club are scared of the fans turning on the board on Saturday and this is just a feeble attempt at trying to stave off any type of uprising.

I’m tempted to say don’t fall for it and give them both barrels (in a proverbial sense).
But at the same time, if you’re going to protest, I would hate to hear major booing during the game.

1. TED April 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm . Reply

Oohah the real cause should not be forgotten quite the contrary it should be highlighted. Please do not allow Lerner to deflect away from him. This appears to be a real PR stunt focusing fans and more important the press attention away from Lerner. It appears obvious from what I’m hearing Faulkners statement was a PR mistake. Fans clearly annoyed with the patronising rally call while Lerner makes money and stays away. Lerner has done this before we need to focus on the cause one man is to blame. Lerner out

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath April 15, 2014 at 7:32 pm . Reply

Agree ted. Let’s hope the fans hammer lambert and Lerner on sat. Problem is Faulkner has pulled a master stroke putting Sid on the bench as he knows fans will lay of management with Sid there

1. GIDDYVILLAN April 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm . Reply

Ooha I think the VILLA team of 82′ could be sat on the bench with Lambert, he would still get it both barrels mate there will be no hiding place come Saturday for the 4 eyed twat & rightly so.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath April 15, 2014 at 7:46 pm . Reply

Hope so giddy. Problem is if lambert goes are we just going to get another clone. Unless Lerner goes it will be exactly tge same next year even if we had mourinho

2. You don't know what your doing April 15, 2014 at 8:04 pm . Reply

Sid was on the bench when McLeish was manager and it didn’t stop the abuse then.

2. Benno April 15, 2014 at 7:39 pm . Reply

i cant believe what a mess we are in 2 years on from Lambert’s appointment. I really thought this would be a forward step for the club, but it really has backfired. I think we may have actually gone backwards.

3. Jason Selleck April 15, 2014 at 7:41 pm . Reply

I’ve heard Randy Lerner will look at Neil Lennon who’s on a 1 year rolling manager’s contract at Celtic and wouldn’t cost compensation if he went to Aston Villa.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath April 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm . Reply

Ouch I hope not. Not another manager who has managed a one horse race in Scotland ffs.

2. DSVilla April 15, 2014 at 8:46 pm . Reply

Lennon? God no. That would be a terrible choice

4. Jay Dee April 15, 2014 at 7:45 pm . Reply

Lambert is staying James Nursey

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath April 15, 2014 at 7:46 pm . Reply

Ffs

2. GIDDYVILLAN April 15, 2014 at 7:55 pm . Reply

Well that’s now fucked my life up for the next how long?? 🙁

3. You don't know what your doing April 15, 2014 at 8:07 pm . Reply

Come on guys. When have we ever waited on the words that prick who writes for the Mirror.
      Him and Pat ‘ITK’ Murphy have as much idea of whats going on as we do.

5. johnnyuk April 15, 2014 at 7:47 pm . Reply

How do you get rid of someone you don’t want to sack? You make their position untenable – you make life difficult for them. Perhaps Culverhouse did something worth removing for, but now they’ve done this, Lambert’s days have got to be numbered… What is the speculation surrounding this news in May? Lambert gone or new owners?!

6. Morgan Villa April 15, 2014 at 7:59 pm . Reply

A rumour i just read on twitter suggests one of them gave away team selection and when a substitution would be made in a game. Anyone know anymore

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath April 15, 2014 at 8:06 pm . Reply

Could be any fan that leaked that we all know virtually what the team is and we know that lamberk puts on MA in the last ten mins or so. Hands up who leaked it:-)

2. OriginalLondonLion April 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm . Reply

Oddly enough Cardiff accused a Palace official of seeking confidential information before Palace’s previous game and there is a PL investigation into that. But I think you would have to pay a bribe to get the starting XI that Lambert chose last Saturday, out of the available squad.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath April 15, 2014 at 11:18 pm . Reply

Apparantly this leaking of teams happens all the time and is said to give little if any advantage to the other team. Let’s face it whatever 11 players pl picks they are going to be beatable anyway does it really matter. Everyone knows everyone’s team as most teams play the same 8-9 players most games with a tweak here and there. Players are all mate of rival players and may mention who’s playeing injured etc. It’s no big deal really.

7. nath April 15, 2014 at 8:47 pm . Reply

shay given doesn’t hold grudges, he understands the reasons behind the clubs reason for wanting him out. reducing wages and the form of brad guzan. cowans involvement in training will mean more football, but can this team really play. i have my doubts

i don’t see a cowans type midfielder in the club 🙁 i believe you play to your strengths, i can’t see this team playing a type of football we crave, it needs playing personnel changes for that to happen