Lambert’s Favourite’s need some Bench time

It was a weird game against Hull, I don’t think either team did enough to win the game and frankly the reason it was a goalless draw was because both teams had their top scorer absent. But last week I wrote an article about providing that element of surprise that has helped us win all our games. This wasn’t done at all against Hull, just about everyone predicted a 4-3-3 formation with Westwood and Agbonlahor returning. What made it worse, was the fact we played a narrow 4-3-3. This works well with Benteke, not with Kozak. Again ,too predictable.

The problem appears to be within Lambert, he has his favourites and tends to select them too often. The likes of Weimann, Westwood, Benteke, Vlaar and Guzan seem to start almost every game. There are a few players on this list who deserve to play, those are Benteke, Vlaar and Guzan. Yet, on Saturday Lambert elected to go with our defensive midfielder, Westwood against a Hull side that offered very little attack. This was a fact many experts predicted before the game. As a result, he had a torrid game, failed to get involved in attack and was lucky to stay on the pitch. In-fact many believed it was unfair that Sylla didn’t keep his spot, he offers more support to the attack. Westwood would’ve been more affective against the likes of Everton and Tottenham in two-three weeks later.

Weimann is one player whose form isn’t anywhere near as good as last season, I might even go as far as stating that his form drop is similar to that of Lowton’s. Weimann has only scored 1 goal so far this season and provided 1 assist. Not great for a forward who has made 8 appearances and played more minutes than any other forward (689 min’s). His work-rate is appreciated, but he has been very invisible this season and isn’t getting involved nearly as much as he should. I hope that Lambert has released this as well, however I imagine it’s difficult for him to pick a replacement. It would have to be a winger or another forward, that means the candidates are Albrighton or Bowery. Playing either will be a risk for Lambert and if such risk had to be taken, why didn’t he make that call against a ‘weaker opponent’.

I reckon Lambert will not bench his favourites ahead of Everton and Tottenham, but with our current attack, Villa will struggle to create chances. And we have, we only had 4 chances against City and against Hull, Agbonlahor was our only threat up front. Kozak doesn’t have any technical ability, and I am absolutely astounded that Lambert hasn’t realise this and play a proper winger that will provide a cross for Kozak. I’m sure he’d be a lot more of a threat if he was attacking a cross. Besides, Albrighton was our second best player against Tottenham in the League Cup, so how much of a risk would it really be?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Bill Pearson October 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm . Reply

Delf has more drive, that’s why he’s going to get a red card soon for aggressive tackles, but to me he’s showing wanting and determination KEA seems to hang off, as for more tackles and passes its still down to the end product and if he’s that good we should be top. As I’ve said let him prove me wrong, and you focus yourself on his abilities you will be surprised.

1. Villanon October 7, 2013 at 7:25 pm . Reply

Why does he have more successful tackles then Delph if he is inferior to him in terms of determination then? It’s Westwood (the actual weak link in our midfield) you should be directing your argument against but he can do no wrong in anybody’s eyes it seems…

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm . Reply

Delph is not exactly the best player on the planet either. He is just the best of a shot bunch of midfielders.

1. Villanon October 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm . Reply

I actually agree with this. Delph wouldn’t stand out in most other midfields. My point is that KEA shouldn’t be scapegoated when there are other players that are playing far worse. But because Westwood and Weimann are fan-favorites, they will continue to get away with serving up the sort of shite they have been for a good while now.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 7, 2013 at 9:51 pm .

Fair point but as much as I like Westwood and weimann they both need dropping at the moment

2. colonius81 October 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm . Reply

kae was pretty poor last season but i see an improvement this year.
    specifically when he pops up in the hole or zone 14 he can play a neat 1-2 or get himself into a dangerous position

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 7, 2013 at 7:42 pm . Reply

He’s a headless chicken no quality whatsoever

1. Colonius81 October 7, 2013 at 8:10 pm . Reply

a headless chicken that scored against city last week. all be it from an offside position.
        regardless of offside or not, you still have to finish it. which he did. not bad for a headless chicken ..!

lets not get ahead ourselves he hasn’t done much at villa – I still don’t regard him as a good signing yet. but i won’t write him off either.

whats the story with the name lamberk!
        should we all get nicknames too?
        i was thinking knee jerk might be a good one

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm . Reply

Yep ur nickname colonoscopy! 🙂

1. Colonius81 October 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm .

I will change my user name if you change yours!

3. Bill Pearson October 7, 2013 at 8:11 pm . Reply

Oohah I agree Kea is not ticking the right boxes for me, at the moment our midfield is a little mixed up and not creative enough, if it was not for Abonglahor and at times Bacuna what strikes would we have on goal, answer sweet fuck all. Lads let’s get real we are far from what we would like our team to be, reasons no generals in our side, we need a player that creates moves.

1. Foxy October 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm . Reply

True, but we need to select players from those we have available and at the moment if we’re playing three in midfield then KEA gets into the team along with Delph and Sylla.