Ipswich 0 -0 Villa; Good and bad

If you’d have offered me the draw prior to the game, I’d have taken it and to throw in a clean sheet is an added bonus, even though it seems we’re expected to win every game we play in this league, which is totally unfair and piles pressure on everyone.

Let’s keep things in perspective and realise that Newcastle lost at home to Wolves today. Who would have put money on that after their pretty good start?

My point is that an away draw isn’t too bad a result and it’s better than we’ll get at some other places, without a doubt.
And ok, they had two efforts cleared off the line and hit the post, which makes them unlucky.
To which I’d remind us of the seven (?) times we’ve hit the woodwork this season.
As we’ve seen far too often already, if it doesn’t cross the line, it doesn’t count.
Even Mick McCarthy said he’d have been pleased with our defence today.

There’s also another plus point in that Di Matteo changed things up in going for a 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2 depending how you see things) to bolster the midfield and defence, which is interesting considering he said he was willing to listen to the fans and the idea had been promoted by some of us.
That said, it’s been a favoured tactic for the manager previously and he was probably forced to go with it because of our lack of personnel. I’m not even going to talk about Baker.

The other side of the coin is that the game was apparently dire and apart from Ayew having rounded the keeper, only to be very well tackled, we didn’t have a shot on target. That’s pathetic at any level, but not something we’re unfamiliar with over recent years.
Which all in all makes it awkward.
Which way do we want it?
Play well and get poor results? or play not so well and get a decent result?
Winning while playing well is of course the ideal, but I suggested in the previous thread that I’d take us winning dirty. It’s all about the points, after all.
Ok, we didn’t win today, but I don’t think today’s point was a bad one.

1. giddyvillan September 22, 2016 at 6:48 pm . Reply

Badger run a poll on him what the fans actually think of him on/off the field

2. Dave.C September 22, 2016 at 7:08 pm . Reply

A piece about Jack Grealish on radio 5 now!

1. giddyvillan September 22, 2016 at 7:35 pm . Reply

What was said mate I was in a boring meeting

3. Dave.C September 23, 2016 at 12:29 am . Reply

Hi Giddy, they had Stan Collymore on offering Jack advice and basically saying don’t make the same mistakes I did. He also said he knows Jack quite well and that he can call him anytime for a chat. Pat Murphy spoke well of Jack, saying how great he his with kids/mascots, behind the scenes, he also said Tony Xia would put pressure on RDM to make sure Jack doesn’t stray again. There was also a brief clip of RDM saying that Jack had to knuckle down. All in all I think he sounds like a good kid, but he needs to, like Stan said, lead a more boring lifestyle.!

1. giddyvillan September 23, 2016 at 5:16 am . Reply

Cheers dave first of all fuck those so called mates off who I’m sure are just hanging off his wallet I agree try living a boring lifestyle so the media can pick on another unsuspecting idiot.

2. OriginalLondonLion September 23, 2016 at 10:09 am . Reply

That advice chat from Stan would be priceless. ‘if you do %)@# the weather girl, don’t smack her about’ etc.

Don’t **** on your own doorstep might be the best advice, meaning get out of Brum before partying. Because for £25kpw you have sold your soul to the devil and some local hack on 1/50 of your wedge is on your tail 24/7 in the city.

1. bws September 23, 2016 at 2:53 pm . Reply

Now violence is abhorrent in any form BUT would you be best pleased if you arranged to meet your misses, she don’t turn up then you track down to a bar where she’s behind the bar topless serving a load of pissed up football fans?
        How would you react? Hi darling, here’s some chocolates and flowers? I think maybe not.

1. OriginalLondonLion September 23, 2016 at 7:15 pm . Reply

TBH I don’t yet know BWS. I am still having difficulty arranging the first part. Getting enough football fans interested in seeing my missus topless.

1. bws September 23, 2016 at 8:09 pm .

🙂

4. Dave.C September 23, 2016 at 9:38 pm . Reply

To be fair to Stan I truly believe he’s seen the error of his ways, he was just trying to give Jack some sound advice. He was quite restrained too, maybe as he was on the BBC and not talk sport!

5. pat57 September 24, 2016 at 12:29 am . Reply

Regardless of Jack there is a match tomorrow and for some reason I think its quite important.

A win against Newcastle will give us some confidence. A loss and we’re deep in it. I know they’ve been variable but they have scored some goals.

Wish I could be optimistic but I just can’t somehow. Almost settle for a draw at this moment.

Come on Villa and RDM, surprise me!

6. giddyvillan September 24, 2016 at 7:06 am . Reply

This game should see how good or bad we presently are, I’d put this team as the championship champions.can’t see us getting anything with this one.1-3 Newcastle I have no faith atm & need alot more convincing.

1. Hitchens 60 September 24, 2016 at 7:23 am . Reply

Feeling like you Giddy – just can’t see us winning this one and like Pat would take the draw if offered.

1. giddyvillan September 24, 2016 at 7:29 am . Reply

Agreed a draw would feel like a win today

1. Bill Pearson September 24, 2016 at 7:53 am . Reply

To me its all about believing in yourself, the player’s know the score and now it’s time to deliver, if we lose today questions will be about management ability. I didn’t think at the time Villa picked Di Matteo he was the right choice and still don’t, its now up to him to get it sorted and now.today’s game another draw he did that at WBA draw draw and just one goal in games.

7. nath September 24, 2016 at 8:23 am . Reply

good morning of the game guys 🙂

today will be very defining one way or or another. beating the league strongest team and favorites, will kick start our own campaign. this game will give a massive boost to fans and players, we can really take this league apart. but lose today. this would be the end of the manager. our goals of instant promotion would be dashed.

its why we love football, this game could go either way. we have some talented players as do newcastle. i would definitely not put this on my accumulate, i see tears for the toon. villa players need to perform for the fans. make micky quinn eat more than his pies but his words 2.

aston villa 3 newcastle 1

1. giddyvillan September 24, 2016 at 8:44 am . Reply

I’ll have a pint of whatever your on mate 😉

1. Bill Pearson September 24, 2016 at 8:48 am . Reply

Make it two Nath, God it wish I had your believe, yes today will be the day.

1. Dave67 September 24, 2016 at 9:14 am . Reply

I admire your optimism Nath and I hope you are right. 3pts is needed can’t see us getting them, my faith has been shattered I will take the draw.

8. DSVilla September 24, 2016 at 9:29 am . Reply

I think the team will improve and start to show what it is capable of. I just don’t have any faith that it will be today. I also have my doubts about both RDM and Clark. The right team selection, tactics and motivation and we could be right up there. We aren’t anywhere close and I’m fed up of being a work in progress.

9. nath September 24, 2016 at 9:48 am . Reply

its not that unbelievable guys. on paper (i know footy isnt played on paper) but on paper both teams are evenly matched. newcastle current form is much healthier. but i know form also doesn’t mean much in football predicting.

i think today’s game is in theory, is easiest game of the season. why cause the game isn’t one we should win or fans demand the win from. opposition will come to town and try to win unlike most vp visitors this year. all this will help the villa players to a win today. well thats my explanation

1. OriginalLondonLion September 24, 2016 at 10:01 am . Reply

I agree Nath. Lose this and Villa can kiss goodbye to promotion this year and concentrate on finishing like a good bet for next year. The barcodes are a fragile lot, if Villa take the lead or equalize they could easily concede another, because they will have to up their attacking intentions.

10. giddyvillan September 24, 2016 at 10:36 am . Reply

I hope Clarkes playing guaranteed to fuck up

1. saddened September 24, 2016 at 10:45 am . Reply

I have a sinking feeling Clarke will get a sneaky header, and score in the last minutes !