Gus Poyet and Christophe Galtier Become New Contenders

With Remi Garde’s move to Aston Villa beginning to stall a little, Aston Villa are starting to look at other managerial options. The two names that have surface in the media is Gus Poyet and Christophe Galiter. Poyet is out of a job since being sacked by Sunderland, while Galiter currently manages French side Saint-Etienne. Some sources also believe it looks increasingly unlikely that Villa will have a new manager in time for Villa’s Premier League game against Tottenham.

Let’s start with Gus Poyet, Skysports reported that Aston Villa are going to consider Diego Poyet because of his attacking style of play. But honestly, his recent managerial record has not been great. Poyet isn’t greatly experienced and was sacked from the Sunderland job. Poyet was managing Sunderland during a Sherwood’s Villa 4-0 at the Stadium of Light. Prior to the Sunderland job he did manage Brighton. But his win% isn’t too impressive. He managed to win 44.33% of games in the Championship, which is rather mediocre, while at Sunderland just 30.67% of games. I don’t know how likely this could happen but it appears as Villa fans would be furious if he was brought into the club.

Secondly, is Saint-Etienne manager Galiter. Galiter has managed Saint-Etienne since 2009 and in the process won the Couple de la Ligue in 2012-13 season. He has also managed Marseille for a short time period and Aris Thessaloniki (Greek club). His win ratio is 42% so slightly better than Poyet’s overall. Galiter has earned a good reputation at France by developing the likes of Matuidi, Payet, Sako, Kevin Miralles, Aubameyang, Zouma and Max Gradel during his stint at the club. One draw back for Villa would be that they’d have to pay compensation for Galiter, while Garde is a free agent.

If the Galiter rumour is true, it seems as though Villa’s board will continue to look at France for player and staff arrivals as Villa look to bed in some of the many French league players brought in this summer.

1. billys boots October 28, 2015 at 10:48 pm . Reply

as i said if he was used properly you cant play Sanchez and westy at the same time, i am well aware that in our present predicament he’s a luxury we cant afford the balance was all to cock tonight after ten minutes it was apparent it was a game made for traore i didnt see the subs list was he on it,

1. BWS October 28, 2015 at 11:01 pm . Reply

I couldn’t believe they took Gestede and then put on two wingers,let’s see what the kid can do with some service.

2. Bill Pearson October 29, 2015 at 9:04 am . Reply

Just shows a little bit of thought makes a difference, ok we was surprised over some players getting the call but it became more of a team with Mc McDonald, see we didn’t even get a mention on tv sports on last night’s game, is this going to be to late to turn us around? Billy boots thanks for that info but it asked me to turn off my adblock so didn’t see it.

3. badger123 October 29, 2015 at 9:21 am . Reply

I see Micah Richards is injured.
    Was he given a good smack on the jaw in the tunnel, or is it something to do with the suggestion on here that he apparently went back to Manchester after the Swansea game?

1. BWS October 29, 2015 at 9:48 am . Reply

What’s all that about, did I miss something?
      We don’t have another Steven Ireland on our hands do we? WTF is it with us and Man C? Everything we get from them turns to shite – Billy McNeill, Steven Ireland and now Micah (loose cannon) Richards.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 29, 2015 at 11:27 am . Reply

Behave Richards is a decent player and has been our best defender this season. Ex city player Lescott fair enough he should never play for us again he was useless even when at city imo

1. BWS October 29, 2015 at 11:42 am . Reply

I don’t rate him at all, there’s a reason there wasn’t a queue for his services when he became surplus to requirements at MC but there again I never really rated your idol either, he’d have never got anywhere near a Sir Ron side.

1. Badger123 October 29, 2015 at 11:56 am .

Interesting comment BWS.
            You didn’t rate god?

Anyway, this one could be fast moving mate;

2. BWS October 29, 2015 at 12:38 pm .

Well obviously not as highly as most appear to, come on ‘on the piss my lord’ says it all and his autobiography is the most depressing piece of prose I’ve ever read.

2. Ardent Villain October 29, 2015 at 10:22 am . Reply

Badger – think you’ve mixed up two different stories re Richards?
      I understood that the ‘going back to Manchester’ story related to the Chelsea game; the tunnel fight was at home to Swansea and he’s been charged by the FA in relation to that one.

So, either he took a wallop on Saturday or someone decided not to put him out there until the FA disciplinary has been sorted?

1. badger123 October 29, 2015 at 10:32 am . Reply

Ardent, I might easily have mixed things up.
        I’ve been changing shifts every couple of days and frankly am struggling to know what day it is!
        Nights to days to the graveyard etc. It’s knocking me about, tbh.

Yes, it’s possibly just to allow him to calm down a bit.

1. Bill Pearson October 29, 2015 at 10:42 am . Reply

Do what I did, ask one of the shift worker’s permanent days or night, take it from me it will catch up with you changing shifts. I did 30 years on night’s found it to be the answer.

1. Badger123 October 29, 2015 at 10:44 am .

I have to do it Bill.
            I’m the supervisor.
            It’s only temporary anyway, but cheers for your concern 🙂

4. badger123 October 29, 2015 at 9:25 am . Reply

As for last night’s game, I was at work 🙁
    Sounds like we were the better team in the first half, but imploded yet again.

The defence is going to prove a major problem for whoever comes in, imo.

Erm, Pulis, anyone?
    That’s sort of a joke, btw.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 29, 2015 at 11:27 am . Reply

And don’t forget Badger we only lost by one goal 🙂

1. Hitchens 60 October 29, 2015 at 12:07 pm . Reply

Phew that’s OK then – thank heavens for that 94th minute penalty! 🙂

2. Badger123 October 29, 2015 at 12:21 pm . Reply

Oohah, that’s not really funny, imo.
        We haven’t been thrashed by anyone and it’s at least a plus in a scenario that’s pretty dire.

1. GIDDYVILLAN October 29, 2015 at 1:21 pm . Reply

I hope you haven’t spoke to soon with SPURS & CITY coming up 2 teams quite capable of banging them in.our defense ain’t airtight you must agree I’m personally dreading the next 2 fixtures.

1. Badger123 October 29, 2015 at 1:40 pm .

I don’t know mate.
            Spurs score yes, but can concede as well.
            We’d need to get our shooting boots on, mind.

City, well yes, I’d be worried about that one.
            But who wouldn’t?

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 29, 2015 at 4:32 pm .

The new manager will want to come after those games as he wont want 2 defeats in his CV but it gives them 2 free games to look at players and experiment so they should come now imo.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 29, 2015 at 4:29 pm . Reply

But better to be thrashed 10.0 and win 1.0 the next week than keep losing by one goal every week at least we would have 3 points

5. GIDDYVILLAN October 29, 2015 at 2:15 pm . Reply

In regard to SPURS it’s not as if we’re finding the net on a regular basis,so I can’t see them being too troubled.