Grealish contract deal imminent?

The opinions are currently split on Grealish with many people (including myself) wanting him to get a lot more time on the pitch and others who believe that he needs to be eased into the game in order to develop him in the best way.

The arguments can be seen from both sides and that is the beauty of this website, opinions count.

Something we can all agree on is that the news of Grealish reportedly working on terms for his new contract at Villa are very promising. Many sites have been reporting on this and although i’m not a major fan of DailyMail, here is a snippet from them,

Jack Grealish has been allowed to leave the Republic of Ireland Under 21 squad to discuss a new contract at Aston Villa.

The 19-year-old has withdrawn from international duty in an effort to resolve outstanding issues regarding his future with Chelsea monitoring developments.

Can we all agree this is good news? It certainly shows passion and desire for the club if he chose to miss out on international duties.

As always, comment, share and retweet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Hitchens60 October 9, 2014 at 5:28 pm . Reply

Back to Grealish – If I understand reports correctly he pulled out of the Ireland U21’s game to sort out his contract with Villa but then I read that PL and Foxy have pi**ed off to Yanksville! Can anyone work out (tell me) what’s actually going on?
    Still think he’ll sign a new four year deal as will Delph IMHO. Vlaar; reckon that one’s in the melting pot but maybe not so critical with the emergence of Baker (Did he not come through the academy?).

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm . Reply

Contracts are irrelevant anyway he can sign a 10 year deal and utd etc would still get him if they come calling. The only upside is we get more money for Lerner.

1. Andrew October 10, 2014 at 12:24 am . Reply

Eh, depends on if he wants to go there or not. Not every youngster believes in going to the “big clubs” as he’ll want to play. Could be loyal, who knows?

2. badger123 October 9, 2014 at 6:23 pm . Reply

Hitchens,
    Lambert has gone to New York to meet Lerner to discuss money ie available transfer money for the winter window and no doubt what he’ll be allowed to pay in wages.
    I think he’s been out there for a couple of days at least, so I doubt he’ll be much longer.

Why they can’t do this sort of thing over a video conference, I don’t know, but it’s probably a bit of a Jolly for Lambert and a chance for Lerner to get to know Fox better.

Things are probably a bit up in the air too, with Lambert not even knowing when he’d be due back over here.

The point is Grealish pulling out means we’ll probably get a conclusion soon, but there’s a fair bit of time to get things sorted.

As for Baker, yes, he came through the academy.

3. Hitchens60 October 9, 2014 at 7:28 pm . Reply

Thanks Badger. It’s interesting that all the focus is on Grealish with questions being asked about why we’ve failed to produce youngsters from our ‘highly rated’ academy that have gone on to be very good footballers (like Little, Cowans, Gidman etc.) and yet noone in the discussion mentioned Baker? I think he’s going to be a very good player but seems to be slipping under the radar from an academy perspective.

1. Bill Pearson October 9, 2014 at 8:37 pm . Reply

Anyone watching this shower of shite on the box, Oh we have a pen now, god England might win this game now, hic’ hic’ Hitchen60 Baker got off to a bad start, many jumped on his back, but he had a lot to do with shit defenders,ie left and right midfield and defence, but beginning to show promise, just hope he hangs onto his form.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 9, 2014 at 9:46 pm . Reply

Baker and vlaar should be first choice pairing now IMO

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 9, 2014 at 9:43 pm . Reply

I think it’s because baker has only just come of age so to speak. He has definitely improved this season

1. Andrew October 9, 2014 at 10:59 pm . Reply

Gotta give props to Lambert on this one. Past regimes would’ve sold him ala Davies, but Baker’s come on well, could be a decent talent for the rest of his career here.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 11, 2014 at 12:45 pm . Reply

i always thought Baker had potential but never sure it would ever happen till this season he still has a long way to go though. As for Clarke I really cant see him being more than a bit part player for us at best

1. Andrew October 12, 2014 at 12:51 am .

Gotta agree, was one of the few who backed Baker last season and will continue as I do like him. Clark needs playing time to grow and I wouldn’t want that to be at Villa of the 5 CB’s we have. Definitely a player we could get rid of for someone maybe a bit better even.

2. Brick October 10, 2014 at 8:10 am . Reply

Baker has one decent game and oohah is having a wankfest over him. Wonder why he wasn’t praising Vlaar after one decent game.

1. Hitchens 60 October 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm . Reply

I’m also praising Baker and not on one game either. I think he’s steadily improved and looks a decent prospect at CB. Last season he played in a very poor back line and had a few injury problems but he did OK. Apart from Vlaar, where are the rest of that defensive line up?

1. BWS October 10, 2014 at 4:14 pm .

That’s true Hitchy, Clarke was a liability and it made him (Baker) look incompetent but say he’d have had a Vlaar or a Senderos putting him right he’d have probably done ok.
            One thing I don’t like about him is for a big fella he seems a little fragile and a bit injury prone (mind you on saying that, that seems to be about par for the course with our centre halfs).

3. Sammy Morgans Jockstrap October 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm . Reply

Remember when Ugo broke into the first team at Villa? He got slated by the fans that first season, but he didn’t do too badly in the end.

1. BWS October 10, 2014 at 6:39 pm . Reply

Going back even further Ken McNaught had a hard time off it in his first season at VP, I think we can safely say he came good in the end too.

1. Hitchens 60 October 10, 2014 at 8:11 pm .

Spot on BWS – Ken McNaught was truly terrible that first season; we bought him on the back of his displays against us for Everton in the three times played League Cup Final ( if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me). He got some right pasting by the fans; turned out to be one of Villa’s great CB’s and a fan favourite.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 11, 2014 at 12:42 pm .

someone once told me that out of all the positions centre halves take the longest to settle in and usually need a season. Think Vlaar was crap in first season but has improved since alas his injury record is still dire and he always seems to be out for the big games when we need him the most!!

4. badger123 October 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm . Reply

I remember those Everton centre backs in the finals and actually thought we had bought the wrong one!
    My memory might be failing me now, but could the other one have been Mick Lions?

1. BWS October 10, 2014 at 8:58 pm . Reply

Mick Lyons I believe it was mate.

1. badger123 October 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm . Reply

I thought he was the better of the two.
        Shows what I know, as per usual 🙂

I was going to do a bit of a rundown of the news of late, but there really isn’t much happening.

I hate this friendly/international crap, as it just ruins the impetus of the season for me.
        Still, it won’t matter much, as I’m destined to miss pretty much every Villa game until Chrimbo 🙁

Unless I can wangle things, which I will, when the current pressure eases off 😉

Even though the footy being served isn’t great, not seeing it, is way worse.

1. BWS October 11, 2014 at 1:00 am . Reply

Totally agree disrupts the natural flow of the season but then again wasn’t the supposed reason for the formation of the EPL? To facilitate internationals?
          Even though the amount of English players playing in it as dropped to an all time low and the worst thing is we (or should I say Deadly) were instrumental in its (the EPL’s) formation – the greedy bastard.
          Bit us on the arse now hasn’t it? And worst still we have a stand named after the prick!

1. GIDDYVILLAN October 11, 2014 at 12:10 pm .

I agree BWS yes deadly is or was a prick fuck this playing abroad bollox nice to be back missed you all possibly feelings not mutual off to the pub.UTV VTID SOTC

2. Hitchens 60 October 10, 2014 at 9:47 pm . Reply

Better memory than me!!

1. mike October 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm . Reply

His Instagram implies he will sign next week.

5. Colonius81 October 13, 2014 at 5:07 pm . Reply

Ya it looks like Grelaish signature is nearly over the line, I heard the irish U21 manager king sate he was fine with him pulling out for the contract talks.

delph, Ya I am very eager to hear news on that one.

as for the academy talk, its like the lottery really, I think of Arsenal, and realistically what young talent did they bring to absolute fruition tier 1 player, most of them were robbed from other acadamies, I am a little sore thinking of Dan Crowley, but look we did the same with Harry Forrester and Carruthers and they failed to make the cut, its impossible to know really.

Baker has had some really good performances this season, but to be fair – i don’t see a huge difference between how he has played this season and last. I see some of the same errors its just that there is so much more solidity around him that he looks that much better.
    Which is great, hopefully it sill build him up confidence wise and help solidify his composure.
    Vlaar and senderos have things to offer him in terms of development, obviously more from Vlaar, defensively and tactically, but Senderos is more similar to Baker in physique so his technique is more relevant to Baker.
    Either way, it would be great to see him continue as he has performed the last few games ..lossess not withstanding.

Clark is in the wilderness a bit this year no more than Baker last year, but perhaps we will see him get a run like Baker where he has decent protection in front of him and a strong partner beside him.

1. Sammy Morgans Jockstrap October 13, 2014 at 7:49 pm . Reply

Anyone else see that our U18’s were 2-0 up against Chelsea last week and ended up losing the game 12-2 ???? Doesn’t bode too well for defenders coming through the Villa youth academy in the future…

6. Andrew October 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm . Reply

Mirror claim we’ve officially offered Delph a new 4 year contract and Grealish is expected to sign a new contract this week.

7. Bill Pearson November 26, 2014 at 4:04 pm . Reply