Friendlies, Johnstone on loan and how transfers work

Just as I suspected, the internet over here in Turkey is abysmal and I’ve hardly been able to read the site, let alone get a stream to watch the friendlies, where it seems the club did a good job in getting them out there.

Good words should be spoken about the results too, of course and while I’ve ever seen friendlies as practise, you can only beat what’s put up against you.
So to score seven and concede none is all good.

My thanks go out to all who posted opinions and they were really helpful to me, given that this was about the only source of news I’ve had.
Please feel free to do the same for tonight’s game!

There’s the news that Johnstone has committed. While we knew it was in the bag via Langford’s source, it’s at least one position finally sorted.
I didn’t realise he’s a free agent next season and have to say I’m surprised we haven’t had to pay a fee.
As has been said, if he proves good for us, we would have to favourites to get him on a free.

The last thing I wanted to mention was a good article in the Independent, that explains how transfers work;

I found it interesting, not only because it backs up my point that clubs make next to nothing from big signing shirt sales, but more because it goes some length to explain how clubs can make the books out to suit themselves to a certain extent.
And that’s only scratching the surface, but my point is you can shuffle the figures, as long as everything adds up in the end.
Of course, there’s also good mention about how us fans only look at the headline figures too.

Here’s hoping we beat the Shrews and I actually manage to get this post out there.
As always, Up the Villa!

1. Langfordvilla July 17, 2017 at 9:50 pm . Reply

There are many players who have been bad at one club and good at another, and vice versa. No one knows how it will turn out. All we can do is give him a chance and see what happens. He has my full support, Bruce knows and trusts him, so thats a good start!

UTV

2. nath July 18, 2017 at 6:41 am . Reply

i was reading comments of englands youth success. ppl were saying that they will all return to their clubs and not play. most will end up playing loan to championship and division 1. i agree with this comment but this is where england players suffer, they are not given the same chances a foreign player are given,

i also believe villa should build from scratch last season they should have got rid of all the players who was involved in the relegation white flag shambles, last time we were relegated taylor did the same, he quickly brought in younger fresher players a few old heads like stuart gray mark lillis was derek mountfield were brought in. he only kept a few like spink evans

i think we should have built using our youth team and spent the money we wasted on buying since being relegated on improving our infrastructure or on better youth players from around other clubs after exhausting our own, granted we would not have been promoted last season but turns out we never did anyways. would have taken a few years to grow and improve, but long run we would have been stronger.

this season scares the shit out of me, i hate the word failure. but if we miss out i am really worried are our club. will the owner be able to keep the club afloat without tv money. if we cant offload players this year what makes you think we can next year when it will be imperative we reduce ages. i love to gamble and this season is a gamble its all in red / black place your bets

3. Hitchens 60 July 18, 2017 at 7:43 am . Reply

What we are now seeing is the ultimate outcome of years of poor financial and football management at the club – with the FFP rules (which are written to perpetuate the rule of Europe’s elite clubs of which, we sadly, are not one) we have no money so it’s unsurprising that we are signing the sorts of Elmohamady that can be bought for little money.

I will maintain my positive attitude towards this season but there are some decent squads and managers in the Championship and, if anything, it will more competitive this season than last.

It’s all about Bruce getting us promoted and if he can do that by being the most defensive (or most organised?) side in the league with a knack for nicking winning goals (rather like Huddersfield) then so be it – I’ll worry about the style of play thereafter.

UTV

4. Hitchens 60 July 18, 2017 at 7:59 am . Reply

Anyone seen Dr T’s latest transfer tweet – answers to the tweet on the back of a postage stamp please 🙂

1. Langfordvilla July 18, 2017 at 8:46 am . Reply

Lol….yes, I’ve seen it and no, haven’t got a clue what it means! Possibly Elmohamady and Whelan in and Elphick out?

UTv

2. GIDDYVILLAN July 18, 2017 at 9:56 am . Reply

I’m on it

5. DSVilla July 18, 2017 at 9:54 am . Reply

I’m not thrilled by our transfer activity. Terry may be a success, and have an impact on the team. Johnstone I’m fine with. After a rocky start he seemed to bed in. He’s probably then best we could hope for. Whelan doesn’t impress me, but I recognise we need someone to cover for Jedinak injuries. Elmohamady is Adomah mark 2. I can’t see that as an upgrade.

There’s still time for things to change but I’m concerned. I just don’t see us as serious contenders for automatic promotion.

The squad is good enough, but the manager and coaches fall short.

6. Langfordvilla July 18, 2017 at 10:11 am . Reply

DS…the thing is that our performances really dropped when Jedinak was out. I think it makes sense to have a more than adequate guy (Whelan) to ‘share the shirt’ with Jedinak who is also recovering from a groin operation and likely to miss all of preseason and the start of the new one. I dont think either Gardner or Lyden are good enough at this stage!

UTV

1. DSVilla July 18, 2017 at 10:40 am . Reply

Totally agree. I would have preferred an upgrade though. I think I would prefer Jedinak if both were fit and available. I guess we’ll see though.

7. Langfordvilla July 18, 2017 at 11:16 am . Reply

Agree, not very inspirational signings IMO but I think its right to go down the ‘shortermism” route for this season only! Lets hope it works!

UTV