Cleverley signs for Everton; I don’t expect excitement in the window

It’s been confirmed that Tom Cleverley has signed a five year contract to play for Everton.
Speculation in the Daily Star says that he’s on £50 thousand a week.
Is that too much?
It probably and definitely is in my opinion, but don’t forget this is a free transfer, where wages make up for the lack of a transfer fee, hence in this sort of deal the wages will be even more ridiculous than usual.

The question here is did Cleverley want Everton over Villa regardless? It has been suggested that he just prefers to be up north and if so, that’s fair enough in my eyes.

But could it just that we wouldn’t match that money?
That same £50k a week would certainly have put the player amongst the higher echelons at the club.

But let’s not forget Sherwood said he wanted to keep the player.

It may well be the case that there was never a chance that Cleverley was going to stay at the Villa, whatever happened and if so, well that’s football for you and you can’t complain too much.

Indeed, his five or six decent performances in the thirty odd games he played for us never convinced me and there’s not a chance in hell that I’d rate him at that sort of money, even on a free.
But it seems Sherwood did.

And if we weren’t willing to compete against a club that have equally large monetary problems as us, for a player that Sherwood wanted, where does that leave us in this transfer window?

My expectations in the coming months are for yet another period of austerity.
And I predict that those saying we are going to have a massive clearout are going to prove to be very wide of the actuality.
Even if we sell Benteke.

Put it this way, I’m in no rush to apply for a season ticket, I’m afraid.

domingo June 8, 2015 at 12:40 pm .

but its all just paper talk. if he goes to chelsea or utd i honestly wouldn’t mind BUT if he goes to a spurs or liverpool i would be a bit pissed off. chelsea are being linked with falcao and utd with Higuaín . both of these would command much higher wages than benteke and would seem a much bigger risk than getting benteke who is premier league proven. i mean falcao to chelsea what a joke he was a disaster for utd and has scary wages lol.
    if benteke does go i just hope its straight cash and no silly player exchanges which never seem to work out well.

B6 June 8, 2015 at 12:45 pm .

I can’t for the life of me see Chelsea signing Falcao. I think Benteke will end up at Chelsea. He’s an ideal replacement for Drogba. Gut feeling it’ll be cash and Bamford on a season long loan.

domingo June 8, 2015 at 12:58 pm .

my chelsea mate has been saying the same (the big glory hunting bastard) . i just really dont want him going to spuds , cant stick them and there chairman. was reading today they are preparing a £20m bid i hope randy sends them away with a flea in there ear. its time to play hardball with benteke’s agent . if the release is £32m let him know he wont be sold for a penny less than that.

B6 June 8, 2015 at 1:09 pm .

Randy wont sell him for less that 30 imo. To be fair to Lerner he has always stood his ground regarding sales to get the best price available (Young, Downing and Barry spring to mind) I can see us taking Bamford on a season long loan as part of the deal, that’s the kind of shit that Villa do!! Just hope Sherwood gets all of the funds if he does go.

Andrew June 8, 2015 at 1:30 pm .

When has Villa accepted players on loan as part of deals? I can see us going for Bamford but it won’t be part of the Benteke deal. Rather see if we could get Wilson off United permanently first with Van Gaal’s love for spending.

B6 June 8, 2015 at 1:43 pm .

When have I stated that Villa have accepted loan players as part of a deal? You clearly mis-read. I stated it is the kind of thing that Villa do, as a reference to the Milner/Ireland transfer. At no time did I say Villa HAD taken player(s) on loan as part of any deal, 🙂

Andrew June 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm .

Or you didn’t specify correctly? lol. “I can see us taking Bamford on a season long loan as part of the deal, that’s the kind of shit that Villa do!!” Sounds like we typically take players on loan, but maybe I did misunderstand you. I guess, maybe. I guess 1 time means we do it all the time? 😉

B6 June 8, 2015 at 2:30 pm .

Try not to lose to much sleep, you’re forgiven for misunderstanding if that makes you feel better. 😉

Andrew June 8, 2015 at 2:49 pm .

I was worried, I appreciate it.

B6 June 9, 2015 at 8:01 am .

Good lad.

billys boots June 8, 2015 at 12:52 pm .

i know its all paper talk and it had the desired effect on the lead up to the final, a totally disinterested team believing their star man was away after the game if the media was to be believed, and benteke and his agent not doing anything to stop it, this is where the losing mentality remarks come from if truth be known

Jay Dee June 8, 2015 at 1:18 pm .

Bent & Stevens have been released I see who’s next for the chop?Chop away I say chop away.Be a long chop a lot to get rid of

sammy morgans jockstrap June 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm .

BBC are saying Bent has signed for Derby. Good luck to him, he saved our Premier League status 2 seasons in a row, and then got dumped in the bomb squad by Lambert.

Seems also that he only has very positive things to say about Villa and our supporters.

Wish him well, 12 goals in 17 games last season on loan at Derby. We could have used a few of those…

Andrew June 8, 2015 at 2:12 pm .

Does anyone actually think Herd can make it at Villa? He’s had a couple good games for Villa but I just can’t see how Sherwood thinks he could impress in pre-season, no better than Championship level. And seeing he’s injured all the time there’s just no point keeping him.

DSVilla June 8, 2015 at 3:14 pm .

Saw him in a pub/restaurant on a family outing a couple of months ago. He was on crutches. I don’t know how far he has got with his fitness, but it will be difficult for Sherwood to make a judgement one way or the other at the moment. Will he make it at Villa? Probably not but he did, as you say, put in a couple of good performances.

Andrew June 8, 2015 at 3:33 pm .

He did, I actually like him as a DM more so than a fullback like some fans. Think he could make a semi-decent squad player but nothing more. I honestly think he should be released.

billys boots June 8, 2015 at 5:09 pm .

hope this new contract being offered to vlaar is subject to a medical

domingo June 8, 2015 at 5:20 pm .

hope its pay as you play 🙂

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 8, 2015 at 5:42 pm .

Can’t believe it that’s it for me can’t stand him completely useless. No need to offer him a contract no half decent team in their right mind would take him.

ifiruledtheworld June 8, 2015 at 6:02 pm .

Telegraph reporting that Randy is in advanced talks to sell the club, and could have new owners by July.

Dave67 June 8, 2015 at 6:40 pm .

I hope there is some truth in the story .

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 8, 2015 at 7:42 pm .

Sounds like the smith consortium ffs may as well keep Lerner they are just as bad probably worse.

GIDDYVILLAN June 8, 2015 at 8:05 pm .

How do you know it’s Smith do you know someone on the inside in high authority??

ifiruledtheworld June 8, 2015 at 9:26 pm .

It’s not the group that’s involved with Smith, Sky Sports have said its between the American and Chinese groups. I wasn’t expecting it to be the consortium involving Smith anyway, he was announced in the running, so it wouldn’t make sense for him to then request being revealed while the final talks are taking place for the takeover. Some are saying the American consortium is a group of businessmen.

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 8, 2015 at 11:23 pm .

AMERICAN consortium u have to laugh. The club is a joke

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 8, 2015 at 11:22 pm .

Because the article I read said it was most likely so judge for yourself

muzzvill June 8, 2015 at 9:42 pm .

could it be Dalian Wanda

muzzvill June 8, 2015 at 10:34 pm .

i think its pretty much nailed on oohah thats its definately not the smith consortium so u can breath easy lad

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 8, 2015 at 11:27 pm .

Probably right though any consortium is bad it shows they haven’t enough money and struggle to raise funds I’d rather have Lerner than a consortium

billys boots June 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm .

if someone has done due diligence then nothing can be sold without the possible new owners consent as every thing would of been audited plus i think Sherwood was in the know when he took out that bet

pat57 June 8, 2015 at 10:11 pm .

According to the BBC its definitely not Smith

KentNielsen77 June 8, 2015 at 10:20 pm .

OohAah have you seen Vlaar’s comments tonight? Let me be the first to join you in telling him to just fuck off.

OohAhPaulMcGrath June 8, 2015 at 11:26 pm .

Yes just seen them. He’s got a fcuking cheek can’t stand the guy and pissed off with Sherwood for even offering him a new contract says it all about our ambition next year

GIDDYVILLAN June 9, 2015 at 7:57 am .

Is this the mirror article?? if so the blokes totally deluded & needs to contain his ego.can’t see saints or UTD coming in for him he might unfortunately be stuck with us.keep the physio table at the ready.

Bill Pearson June 9, 2015 at 8:02 am .

No Giddy , have got the new post off Badger today?