Burton – Villa; So much going on.

Well, I thought the game was going to be the main story of today, but it’s been blown away by the fact that Jack Grealish has signed an extension contract of no less than five years.
Of course this is great news, but I do find myself wondering what’s gone on here?

I’m wondering because the main reason is that there was no reason for Jack to tie himself down like this after Jack signed a five year contract in 2018.
While there’s no doubting that Grealish loves the club, ultimately money talks it’s fair to assume that this means the wage structure has not only been broken, but absolutely smashed to pieces, with some sources suggesting that his new wage will be a cool £125 thousand a week.
In today’s game, it’s about the figure I’d have guessed.

Whatever, this is a great signing for the club and it won’t be bettered in this window.
It’s also a massive sign of commitment on Jack’s part, which makes me wonder who’s promised him what about where the club is heading.

Onto the game then and I’m not sure there’s much to say really.
Watkins and Cash will start along with the usual suspects who will need the game time.
We’ve had some very decent wins in the pre-season friendlies and there’s nothing to suggest that this won’t continue.
Hence I’m confident we’ll win this one, probably by a couple of goals.
No streams that I know of, but I’ll be looking, although I don’t believe anyone has the rights to broadcast it.

And then there’s the transfer speculation, where it seems Martinez is practically all done and Traore has travelled to Denmark to meet Lange and have a medical. The player is supposed to have been in Birmingham for the last couple of days and should sign tomorrow.
This of course begs the question of what on earth is Lange doing in Denmark in the fist place?
You would have to think he’s looking at other deals, probably on cheaper, more unknown players.

And then there’s still strong speculation that we’re in for even more players.
I never think much of the speculation, but given that we’re supposed to have the two players wrapped up, you have to wonder why we haven’t announced them yet.
I’m guessing there’s still at least another one being sorted and the club wants to do a multiple signing announcement.

No doubt we’ll see and it’s exciting times being a Villa fan.

Tom September 15, 2020 at 9:35 pm . Reply

Well done badger!

Hitchens60 September 15, 2020 at 9:42 pm . Reply

Word for Nakamba who I thought looked pretty good playing in the DM role. Hope Davis goal will give him some confidence.

But what can you say about Grealish – that 5 year contract gets more valuable by the minute!

Holte66 September 15, 2020 at 9:44 pm . Reply

Thank goodness it didn’t go to penalties. A rare Kienan Davis goal rounded off a great day!

Ardent Villain September 15, 2020 at 9:46 pm . Reply

Must have imagined it: Davis actually found the back of the net!

Watkins looks the real deal…

nath September 15, 2020 at 9:49 pm . Reply

this was a good hard work out for villa. i have a soft spot for burton and i thought they played well. pressed villa high and forced mistakes but they couldnt keep up that pressure. villa grew into the game and took the game with two nice goals, grealish was excellently taken. davis took his well kept onside as burton pushed higher, davis had time which is a killer when you are one on one. but he smoothly dispatched it. badger correct score too beers on him

Bill Pearson.. September 16, 2020 at 8:13 am . Reply

I noticed them Nath Grealish included, but we stuck at it , I thought as well that the heart from 1-2 wasn’t fully committed was it the cup or is it the thought I might not be here long. Yes good goals and well taken all we have to do is concentrate on that league for the comming season.

DSVilla September 16, 2020 at 10:02 am . Reply

Really impressed with Nakamba and Ramsay looked promising. Grealish is different class though. We really need options though as we still rely too much on him. Hopefully that is about to be addressed. Watkins is a serious upgrade too.

Hitchens60 September 16, 2020 at 10:06 am . Reply

Confirmed Martinez has signed for our great club.

Hitchens60 September 16, 2020 at 10:07 am . Reply
    Hitchens60 September 16, 2020 at 12:51 pm . Reply

Interesting comment from Smith about Grealish’s ability to influence decisions by other players we are trying to sign.

It seems both Cash and Watkins asked whether Jack was staying at the club when in discussions with Smith.

Southgate might not appreciate his abilities but, clearly, other professionals do.