Benteke signs new contract!

Picture courtesy of thinkfootball.co.uk

So Christian Benteke has withdrawn his transfer request and signed a new four year contract.

I’m personally happy as Larry about this, but I wonder what’s gone on?

Has Spurs’ interest in Soldado made him realise what a major mistake he would have been making?

If he bangs a few goals in, I’ll happily welcome him back to the fold, even though he seems a mercenary type;

Christian Benteke said: “I spoke with the Manager when I returned to training and we had a good talk. I am very happy to be back here in Birmingham and at Aston Villa, and to sign a new contract. This is a great Club and it has given me a lot. Now I have to give back to my teammates and the fans who have always been right behind me. The end of last season was very good and the lads were very strong. It was not easy but we came through it and the confidence is high. So everyone knows what we have to do now – be better. I need to be better than last year.”

On official website.

1. Ubff July 20, 2013 at 2:59 am . Reply

Uh hub

2. Adam July 20, 2013 at 7:12 am . Reply

Terry and oohah, you can finally eat your words about Lambert not being able to handle the big ego players. This just goes to show what a great manager Lambo is. Now for a bit of experience/known quality in the midfield and defense would make for a quality summer and fully show improvement and progression. UTV

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2013 at 9:33 am . Reply

What big players has he handled. Lets see him actually sign a big player instead of these buy one get one free jokers

1. Mcgrath Is King July 20, 2013 at 10:23 am . Reply

Like Westwood, Guzan and Lowton you mean? Those kind of jokers.

By all accounts, granted the German games were more of a fitness exercise, Helenius and Bacuna looked the part in the minutes they played

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2013 at 11:04 am . Reply

No I mean kae, vlaar, Bennett, Dawson and Bowery

1. Mark July 20, 2013 at 11:20 am .

Ooohah please for fuck sake tell me what you want to see Villa do this summer?
            We have signed our most naturally gifted player since Merson on a 5 year deal, and it’s a PR stunt in your eyes. Most fans like me are still buzzing over this news. I am on cloud nine.
            We sign a striker who looks shit hot and scores within 5 minutes of coming on in germany
            We beat chelsea to one of the most promising defenders in europe.
            Lambert and Falkner have said the squad are all getting on and things are looking well for August.
            Personally I cannot wait for August. I think Vlaar will also come flying out the traps and we will surprise a few people!
            Why the negative spin?

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2013 at 11:43 am .

I just want a decent left bk ash mate who’s been to friendly a says lunar is shite and no better than Bennett admittedly only a friendly. We still need right bk cover, we still need a decent ch vlaar can’t cut it and it will be a whole before Okore comes good, we need a decent Dm and decent playmaker. If we get that little lot trust me I will be ecstatic and positive.

3. Mcgrath Is King July 20, 2013 at 11:29 am .

So some don’t work…….but we’ve got at least as good a success rate with our current transfer policy as we did with our previous ones.

Much easier shipping out a cheap flop than it is an expensive one. As for Bowery……played well at home to West Ham and very well at Stoke with us winning both. What’s your problem?

3. nath July 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm . Reply

great news on all the players that av signed new contracts, this and the new additions will see us much stronger and heading back were we belong 🙂 upthevilla

4. Lionheart July 20, 2013 at 2:04 pm . Reply

Lads.. lets not count Dawson and Bowery as signings that didn’t come off.. Dawson was a very cheap gamble which hasn’t hurt us.. Bowery for 500k has been ok..

With Benteke staying i feel a lot more optimistic.. don’t foget Weiman should be a better player next season after a year in the bad.. same goes for Westwood Lowton and Sylla..

Out of the new recruits i think Okore will be a good player once he settles and so will Tonev and Helenuis..

All in all slowly but surely we are getting there..

Next summer i can see us having 30-40M to spend esp if Benteke does finally go.. and we will be in the market for 3 or 4 7M plus signings..

5. anon3 July 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm . Reply

Test post uc browser

6. Old skool Villan July 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm . Reply

This don’t change the fact that Bentekkers is a disgrace after the way he has acted bit what the hell?

He is our fooking disgrace!

Well done Lambert

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm . Reply

Agreed. See wev conceded from a corner yet again to the mighty wycombe same shit different day. Defense is still crap

7. Vaze July 21, 2013 at 10:20 am . Reply

It’s good news to me that Benteke is staying, I think that he’ll give his absolute all, and that can only be a positive.

As for this Dawson that is alluded to above, do you mean Simon Dawkins, or have I completely missed something ?

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 21, 2013 at 11:01 am . Reply

That’s the one the dawk!!!