Benteke linked to Spurs. Again.

I know.
It’s dead easy, this one.

Basically Christian Benteke has been linked to Spurs again, on the back of his stunning overhead kick and typical bruising type header, all within 2 minutes against Norwich;

Apparently, Levy has admitted he got it wrong, in not busting his balls to make sure he signed the “Beast” and views his signing of Soldado as a mistake. So now, he’s going to make a concerted effort.

What do you think about this one?
I personally don’t see Spurs being his destination, as although he hasn’t set the world on fire this season, I believe he’s destined for a better stage.
He’s just that good, when you consider he’s only 23 and I actually think Lambert calls it right for once, when he says the player could be world class.

Knowing the Villa though, we’ll probably flog him cheap (and yes, Spurs makes sense at £20+ mill) and then watch as he’s then sold on for a massive profit.
I really don’t trust the club to get the best deal, in other words.
And although Benteke is supposed to have said he doesn’t know anything about any deal, I very much suspect he does, in reality.
We pay piss-poor wages, after all, in the scheme of things re the Premier League.
And why would he want to stay, when you consider that we don’t give him the service he would get at a top club?

I’ll be absolutely gutted if he goes.
And dead worried for our future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. macca1874 March 4, 2014 at 8:45 pm . Reply

No chance will he be going to spurs – Villa will back in their rightful place above them next season for starters. I don’t think the lad will be sold next season – he has another three years on his contract!

I look forward to Villa taking three points off Mike Ashley’s boyhood club late this season.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 4, 2014 at 10:40 pm . Reply

Ha ha I love an optimist. No way in a million years will we be above spurs next season unless we had city style takeover which is the dream

1. Morgan Villa March 5, 2014 at 10:43 am . Reply

Although Spurs sold Bale to Madrid for that large amount, Madrid are known to pay for players over a set period of time. I feel Spurs are going to do a Villa and have massive cut backs, its why i feel Sherwood has been put in as manager. They spent an astronimical sum of money last summer in the hope of CL football and i feel it was expected to happen this year or AVB would still be in a job.

Spurs spending last summer is not sustainable on top of wages for the likes of Adebayor and other players in the squad there accounts in the next few years will make very interesting reading.

1. Lionheart March 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm . Reply

Morgan.. disagree with that.. Sherwood was appointed because the right man wasn’t available.. and they will sack him in the summer knowing they won’t have to fork out a fortune for compo..

2. saddened March 5, 2014 at 7:35 am . Reply

thanks for your input Mr Faulkner……!!

1. #HELENIUS March 5, 2014 at 10:37 am . Reply

Hahaha – In the know is Oohah

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 5, 2014 at 11:28 am . Reply

I’m not an itk but iv not been wrong about out budget the past 3 Yeats

1. BWS March 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm .

Surely some revelation is at hand;
            Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

(You can’t beat a bit of Yeats)

2. Bill Pearson. March 5, 2014 at 1:11 pm .

Isn’t that the prophecy of the second coming, is Oohah our disciple of football? The lord be praised.

2. markdrapernumber8 March 4, 2014 at 8:59 pm . Reply

My honest opinion is Benteke has to go. If he goes on a another run now till the end of the season he will have proven he’s got it for the premier league. If not, the spanish and geman teams will be sniffing, either way, he’s top quality and unless by some miracle we invest heavily and build a top quality team around him, he’s the ugly duckling of sorts in our current team.

He’s a superb player on form, world class actually, after the no shows of late to go and pull a goal out of the blue like the first against Norwich is rare for a player. I hope that kick starts his form for the run in for our immediate sake.

3. OriginalLondonLion March 5, 2014 at 1:01 am . Reply

There aren’t many CL clubs that would take him IMO.

Liverpool or Chelsea would not have a problem with his origin but only Chelsea might have a need. The stand out EU side for him would be PSG, then Juventus, but a moneybags Russian outfit might also bid. The rest don’t find their fans accept African origin main strikers too readily.
    What happens all depends how good or bad a World Cup he has, and what hot new stars emerge. it only takes about 3 to appear – that are off the CL scouting radar now – to send the whole mob into a transfer merry-go-round.

1. #HELENIUS March 5, 2014 at 10:43 am . Reply

Atletico or Leverkusen bound. OR, I could see him in an Arsenal side. With the chances Giroud gets, he’d be quality

4. saddened March 5, 2014 at 7:37 am . Reply

we made over £50m losses last year….Lerner wants the club to be self sufficient…. Benteke will be sold and so will anyone else who is a profit on their purchase fee….. SIMPLES..

1. Bill Pearson. March 5, 2014 at 7:59 am . Reply

Saddened so true, Benteke came to us on the words, I want to play for Arsenal one day that day could very well be Summer, Villa have no ambition this year or next year for winning things for the fans, We have the wrong owner in sports, he’s a businessman and out for money and power of owning an English football club. I feel sorry for fans that will not see what I’ve seen over the years, did anyone see Doug Ellis last night on when he put the club up for sale, he turned down 5 applicants one thank god was Carton Young, he wanted a owner that didn’t borrow money but had money,wrong choice for us he got a owner that makes money and more money, not honours. IMO.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 5, 2014 at 9:21 am . Reply

Agree bill people on here just don’t get it

2. Morgan Villa March 5, 2014 at 10:46 am . Reply

I dont see Benteke as a Wenger type player, if he goes it will be too Chelsea or someone abroad imo

2. #HELENIUS March 5, 2014 at 10:44 am . Reply

Even Vlaar. He’s had a great season and If he get in the Dutch side and has a decent WC. KACHIIIIIIING ££££££££££

5. Vaze March 5, 2014 at 8:46 am . Reply

We have the wrong owner, someone who is out for the money and power of owning an English football team ?!?

If I’d lost £52m after having written off £90m I doubt I’d be licking my lips and celebrating my magnificent money making machine.

Lerner put the funds up, and MON missed out. Fact.

We know that it will take up to £300m+ to become a consistent challenger for a top five spot, and our club cannot afford that.

To whinge like women that Lerner needs to go and someone needs to take over the Villa and treat it like a special needs case so that the ‘wonderfully supportive’ fans can have success is childish.

Our fantastic support was practically fighting amongst themselves when Norwich scored Sunday.

And they’re just the ones that can be arsed to go. That rules out 80% of this site.

Did half of you lot moan that your Dad was crap and you wanted a new one because you didn’t live a millionaire lifestyle as a kid ? I do wonder.

1. DSVilla March 5, 2014 at 9:18 am . Reply

I do find it hilarious and frustrating in equal amounts how so many on here think Lerner has got rich(er) out of Villa. Lerner has made mistakes but not being the wealthiest owner in the Premiership isn’t one of them.
      So, in a real world where Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Man City particularly, but also Liverpool and Spurs I guess can outspend us and attract better players/pay them higher wages, what would be competing for? 6th or 7th and maybe a decent cup run. What’s the point?
      The problem is not Lerner, it’s the Premiership and Champs League. That is about the only point I agree with Ianrobo.
      As for a new owner. That is just as likely to lead to disaster as put us in a position to challenge for top honours.

1. Vaze March 5, 2014 at 9:45 am . Reply

Correct. We cannot compete financially, simple.

But it’s easy to implore someone else to spunk their money up the wall rather than actually spend any of your own.

For every Sheikh Mansour, there are Shinawatras, Yeungs, Venkys, Tans and Allams out there.

Too many dreamers on here.

2. GIDDYVILLAN March 5, 2014 at 9:19 am . Reply

Nah i love my old man,wouldn’t replace him in the world.what a fucking ridiculous statement.

1. Vaze March 5, 2014 at 9:40 am . Reply

It was an analogy.

Probably need to drop the ‘ogy’ for this site lol !

2. Bill Pearson. March 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm . Reply

Giddy no matter what we say Vaze will comment to the contrary he’s right , and we are dreamers,
        Vaze as you yourself said they are opinions, don’t try and ridiculous all the time, your getting up my nose just lately I’m a prat one day, a dreamer the next, what’s up boyfriend problems.

1. Vaze March 6, 2014 at 10:40 am . Reply

Ridicule Bill, but you need no help on that score.

I get up your nose, well blokes who crow about not going to support the team as they’ve seen the glory and today’s serving is beneath their mighty standard or preferring to travel hundreds of miles to watch someone else get on my tits, that’s life.

I hold a very different opinion to you. That probably won’t change but I’m not contrary fella. I’m firmly in the ‘we’ll have to make the best of what we have’ camp, rather than the ‘sack everyone and get anyone in, they’ll be better’ camp.

In my experience, the latter is rarely true. People who live in that world are bloody dreamers.

People who slag the Villa at most every opportunity wind me up, carry on though, feel free.

3. Morgan Villa March 5, 2014 at 10:34 am . Reply

He has not wriiten off 90m, the Lerner trust has written off the interest on the 90m owed to them and turned the 90m into equity within the club. the rest i do not understand but i believe the 50m debt to be the wage issue carrying over. This is why next season we should be in a position to finance a decent strengthening of the squad.

We were in that position in January and a 10m player as well as Hoolahan was expected to arrive but the 10m fell through at the last second. This was told to me by someone who sits nears me at VP and he is a long term fan who is ITK but when he says stuff its generally right

We will be spending in the summer, i dont think anyone is expecting us to compete with the likes of Man City but we should be competing with Cardiff and Palace which in fairness we are not.

I dont understand why we have one set of fans who think we have the budget of a conference premier team and then on the other hand we have fans expecting us to buy Rooney, i feel most are somewhere in the middle. I hope if Cardiff get relegated we sign there CB looks a real prospect to me even though i cant remember his name

1. Morgan Villa March 5, 2014 at 10:34 am . Reply

sorry should say who is not ITK

2. Vaze March 5, 2014 at 11:01 am . Reply

Morgan, a debt for equity swap is a write off which offers some tax breaks.

It’s only worth anything if the club is sold, and then obviously depends upon the price.

I would expect to see us spending £30-£40m a season, which is pretty decent investment. Some clubs throw money at it occasionally, as we did very unsuccessfully under MON.

Clubs that do that without success or a return on their investment, take time to recover and go again (Villa) or end up in the wastelands of the football league (too many to mention, Leeds probably the biggest example).

We could well finish tenth this season, how much more do we need to spend to get to fifth ?

1. Morgan Villa March 5, 2014 at 11:15 am . Reply

I think 30-40m is a fair investment, i said in a previous post i feel Bertrand should be number one priority. Someone like Caulker or his team mate at the back. Maybe Nzonzi and Hoolahan would probably turn our squad into top 6-7 contenders. Add in Carruthers from his loan and maybe another winger and our team would look quite good with enough cover if there are any injuries.

I see us finishing 12-14th this season

1. progression March 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm .

i also agree, for once i enjoyed my read 🙂 bless morganvilla and vaze and helenius 🙂

life is depressing enough, without my footy i wouldn’t av anything 2 relax and enjoy ~ balancing books has been done ~ summer we will be strengthening the squad, plus youth team players integrated. we look hell of a lot better than before. this season while we have been dire, facts stats and wot have you suggest we have improved immensely. only need to look at the goals conceded column

2. Bill Pearson. March 5, 2014 at 2:21 pm .

You forgot me Nath,

3. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm .

Doubt it WH was good v a piss poor midfield for 25 mins then dies a death and Bertrand has been woeful at times he’s better than Luna but that’s not saying much

4. progression March 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm .

did i over look u bill ~ i will bless u as well then
            VTID

i really did enjoy my read 2day guys ltrs

4. #HELENIUS March 5, 2014 at 10:48 am . Reply

I second that. Well put.

6. GIDDYVILLAN March 5, 2014 at 9:49 am . Reply

I agree with you there the comment definatetly came from that bodily region.

7. Lionheart March 6, 2014 at 3:05 pm . Reply

We need a RB.. Bertrand signed up.. a winger.. attacking mid and a DM in my opinion..

8. Lionheart March 6, 2014 at 3:11 pm . Reply

Lads is there ANYONE who has even the slightest clue who this mystery 8M bid was for in the Jan window..

I am very surprised no name at all has surfaced..

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 6, 2014 at 10:59 pm . Reply

It’s the invisible bulkshit appease the fans player that pops up at the end of every window!!