Aston Villa 3 – 2 Man City; what a turn up for the books!

1099608-17444751-640-360

I have to be honest, I’m sure I was not in the minority when I thought we had very little hope of getting anything today against a Man City side that are amongst the favourites to win the league.

It was a very subdued Villa Park in the first half, where it seemed things were going to plan, with City being massively dominant all over the pitch.
We were conceding corners left, right and centre, but in fairness, I thought the five at the back was actually working quite well and we held out until the last minute of the first half.
It’s inevitable that if you conceded what was I think the 9th corner, you’re most likely going to concede a goal.
And so it came, with some poor defending. Toure got it and the lead was deserved, albeit somewhat heartbreaking. The difference between 0-1 and 0-0 really is big psychologically, I reckon.

What really disappointed me was the lack of creativity that we demonstrated. Not a shot on target and very little to judge Weimann and Kozak on.
That was no doubt down to the 5 at the back (even though we don’t set up to defend, of course).

One down then and I fully expected City to unleash hell, which would result in the shoeing many of us expected.
But it seems Villa hadn’t read the script and El Ahmedi hit a nice finish to equalise.
Undoubtedly offside, but who cares? we could do with some luck.

It didn’t last long though and Dzeko re-gained the lead for City from another corner, which had me thinking the onslaught would now surely come.

And then Bacuna hit an absolute peach of a free kick, where I suspect the City wall was expecting a screamer from Vlaar. Whatever, I don’t know if that was a deliberate tactic, but it worked nicely.
It really was as good a free kick as I’ve seen in a while and would have had the media wetting themselves had it come from a sky 4 player.

And then, another goal via the unlikeliest scenario.
Guzan punted long, the City defence totally made a mess of it and Weimann flicked it past Hart for the winner.
I was totally shocked, as we don’t do long ball remember, but what the heck, I can forgive the abberation.
Of course, it was all City again after that, but we again held on to get the result.

If I was Pellegrini, I’d have been fuming, as City really didn’t look anywhere near as good as they do on paper.

I’ve said on here a few times that it’s not so much about playing really well that gets you success; it’s more about dragging results out.
As unlikely as it seemed, we quite simply did that today.
I’m sure some of you will have plenty to say about the performance though, as the truth is, I remain totally unconvinced and that Villa teamsheet looks oh so average.
Still, a very handy three points and again I’m a happy bunny.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Langfordvilla September 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm . Reply

Darren… Agree with most of that mate. What makes the victory even sweeter is that we were without our 3 best outfield players IMO … Benteke, Gabby and Okore.

2. Tekkers48 September 28, 2013 at 6:50 pm . Reply

Back to back league wins !!!

3. #HELENIUS September 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm . Reply

They came
    They saw
    WE CONQUERED

How?? Who gives an effing shite how..!!!

First half dreadful, 2nd half wonderful from the whole team…!!

Great to see VP back in full voice, which relayed onto the pitch..Well played all..!!!

Bacuna the magnificent has that spot nailed dowm now imo.

So happy that on the way home I stopped off to surprise the missus with a Tesco Indian in a box feast…. Us East Anglian Lions know how to treat a lady!!

FECKING MARVELOUS

4. markdrapernumber8 September 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm . Reply

I have nothing to say

5. Naughtius Maximus September 28, 2013 at 8:09 pm . Reply

a great day and like most I expected nothing less than a comfortable city win, my main worry was our width or lack of it as opposed to city and we went 5 at the back or 3 with wing backs whichever way you wanna call it but luna and baccuna sat well deep most of the game which as imo the only way we could play the game, it would mean that city would dominate but I thought it our only real option so kudos for lambert on that one.
    even that said at half time I just couldn’t see us scoring and tbf I don’t think anyone else could either. the effort got us there which is so nice for us and for football that a bunch of underated youngsters can out effort a bunch of over paid individuals, we did not roll over and die even when the 2nd went in for city and they just didn’t expect that.
    bonus that hart was shite, he’s half the keeper he was at blues and hodgson should consider replacing him as englands number one, the dandruff big headed overated butterfingers he is.
    wba’s foster for England number 1!
    great and happy day for villans 🙂

6. villa1996 September 28, 2013 at 8:33 pm . Reply

What a day villa win and my brother baby born a new villian is born and brought us the luck we needed woohoo

1. Bill Pearson September 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm . Reply

Congratulations uncle, villa1996

2. QMKevin October 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm . Reply

Congrats! They’re never too young to be a Villain 🙂

7. streetlyvillann September 28, 2013 at 8:54 pm . Reply

Well would you believe it. We closed them down giving them little time to settle. Kozak seems to be settling into his role well, could be he will settle more quickly than Benteke did. It was good to see Sylla back and he did well. KEA, Delph and Sylla in midfield works well. But I really liked the steel that was on display. Keep this going please. And sitting in the Holte, it was defeaning, first and second half, yes there were quiet periods, but you can’t sing the whole time. Well done you Lions.

8. astonman September 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm . Reply

Great result today unexpected but very very welcome. The players and staff take a bow

9. jaydee September 29, 2013 at 5:02 pm . Reply

Fantastic result great win.Beat Hull away and we will be in a good position.Better start than i thought given the fixtures.Confidence boosted UTV

1. Andrew September 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm . Reply

Hull City on 10 points is pretty surprising, Bruce has them playing as a team, though they’re not actually that good. They’re getting results as well despite not playing well, only lost once to City. Be a big win before international break if it was too happen and could be 3 wins on the trot.

1. Andrew September 29, 2013 at 8:56 pm . Reply

In the league.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 29, 2013 at 9:17 pm . Reply

What about Southampton 4th. Fair play to then. I thought they were mad sacking their manager but u have to say they knew what they were doing.

1. Foxy September 29, 2013 at 11:54 pm . Reply

St Marys is about 10 miles from me and I know a lot of Saints fans. My father’s parents were season ticket holders (ironically my father was born in Gravelly Hill) and the way the club has come back from financial ruin and the rise from League 1 has been great. It does seem that there’s a lot up for grabs this season and while I don’t think they can sustain it, while a few of the established PL clubs get their houses in order Southampton will have a bit of fun for a while. Hopefully we will too…

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 30, 2013 at 12:23 am .

Agree would love a club like saints to finish 4th but no way in a million years will they finish fourth. But coukd be top ten side

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 30, 2013 at 12:26 am .

Ps at least Sunderland look like they are down already which is good for us as I think we are in a false position at the moment and can be easily dragged back down

3. Andrew September 30, 2013 at 4:17 am .

Nah, we’re not in a false position. I’m telling you, there’s a severe lack of quality in the EPL and it’s showing. Hell look where Hull City are, I know some had them down for last, getting like 20 points total, and they’re half way there. There’s only two teams I’d ever worry facing and that would be Spurs and City, simply because they have world class players that simply have to get used to each other. Other than that, the lack of quality even at the big clubs isn’t scaring anyone.

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 30, 2013 at 8:21 am .

Arsenal and Liverpool look good again as well. Always remember teams like utd can go and spend £100 m in Han if they want where we might resign Dawkins!!

5. Foxy September 30, 2013 at 8:26 am .

I think if ManU are that much in trouble by Jan it will be a manager they’ll be looking for, not any more players.

6. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 30, 2013 at 8:45 am .

True but as most people have suspected that without Rvp they are very average.