Yeovil 0-1 Villa; We made hard work of that.

We all know the cups are a great leveller, where anything can happen.
It’s why I like them so much and believe we have to go all out against whatever team we face.

Whatever, it’s the midfield where there’s just something not right in my opinion.
It just doesn’t work for me and I’m getting sick of saying it.
Hourihane got a goal, but I still get the feeling he sits too deep.
It seems we played Whelan as the anchor, but his positioning doesn’t seem right and I suspect it’s just clutching at straws, merely to give him a start.

Moreira just seems a shot-stopper to me and his inexperience stands out a mile.
You can see he wants to dominate his area, which is admirable.
But his decision-making is poor and he looks like he can’t see the pace of the game.
Let’s hope he’s just finding his feet.

I heard a lot about the quality and money invested in Yeovil, but it all missed the point to me.
This is a team two leagues below us, after all and we paid more for McGinn than their whole squad cost.

I’m not asking for us to beat league 2 sides by ten goals.
But we should at least dominate them.
Which we didn’t, at all, until we got the goal.

D’Almeida got the MOTM.
Which says it all to me. He had a decent game.

Still, that’s three wins out of our first three games.
As I said recently, that’s our best start since 1962-63 under Mercer.
Quite unbelievable.

You really can’t knock that can you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Texas Johnny August 14, 2018 at 10:01 pm .

The one positive is that when you have major change to a squad, you don’t normally see good results while everyone finds their feet. If we can keep up the good results while the new players gel, we should be set for a very positive season.

I didn’t watch the game – where was it available online?

1. Hitchens 60 August 14, 2018 at 10:03 pm .

It was on Sky Sports- not sure whether it was streamed other than on AVTV

2. badger123 August 14, 2018 at 11:47 pm .

For clarity, if it’s on Sly, you simply are not going to get it anywhere else.

Unless you’re willing to watch a streamed phone copy from someone at the game.

I paid the £8 to watch.

1. Adam August 14, 2018 at 11:56 pm .

TVTAP formerly UKTVNOW loads of sports channels to stream Sky etc plus loads of foreign sports channels. Actually decent quality too when ive watched them. Need Android device though.

1. Texas Johnny August 15, 2018 at 1:58 am .

How do you get this? I’m paying for avtv with limited streams and cheap quality

1. Bum Bum August 15, 2018 at 2:35 am .

Get a Roku stick! About £25 and it plugs into yr TV and streams subscription services over WiFi.
          100% win record! 😊

2. Guest August 15, 2018 at 9:03 am .

If it’s on sky it’s easier to stream elsewhere, streamgaroo is great.

3. Pat 57 August 15, 2018 at 4:22 am .

I’ve generally been a fan of Hourihane’s since he arrived and he did score quite a few goals from mid-field last season. However last night he did himself no favours even though he scored the winning goal.

I think he passed the ball to the opposition more than he did to his own side. Whelan’s past it and certainly didn’t help him any.

I’ve been wanting to see Hourihane play with Grealish and McGinn as I thought they might make a good threesome but now not so sure.

Oh well we won and a lot of the first team had a rest. So now on to Ipswich on Saturday and hopefully four wins in a row.

1. Hitchens60 August 15, 2018 at 6:43 am .

I can’t disagree with you on Hourihane’s overall performance but he keeps popping up with decisive moments. Assist against Hull, another winning assist against Wigan and the winning goal against Yeovil – and 11 goals from midfield last season.

He’s a vital member of the squad but whether he starts regularly is open to question – it may depend on whether McGinn plays a wide role rather than central midfield.

1. Pat 57 August 15, 2018 at 8:31 am .

Hitch
        Yes I might have been a bit hard on him there but I really thought he’d shine given the chance to have centre stage in mid-field. I couldn’t understand why half of his passes went to the other side.

As for McGinn I think he has to play central, the interplay in the first game with Jack was surprisingly good and can only improve.

Anyway back to normality on Saturday. Can we make it four in a row? I’m betting we can.

4. Bill Pearson August 15, 2018 at 8:33 am .

I do the same as Badger pay Now tv, Did anyone see how angry Bruce was after the game, ? He said that performance is not acceptable, they have to step up to the physical side of the game, Yeovil showed more determination than we did and that’s not acceptable. , neve seen him like that.

5. Bill Pearson August 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm .

I see that John Terry as ended up a pundit for TV, he’s been hired to be a
    commentary for Egyptian TV. Strange that. I see that fans have comments on the goalkeeping performance last Night, and its Dire goalkeeping.

1. Bum Bum August 15, 2018 at 4:51 pm .

I thought he’d gone to Derby to Han out with Frankie????

1. Bill Pearson August 15, 2018 at 5:17 pm .

So did I but it seems he has other fish to fry, now Middlborogh entered the game. Whats going on I ask myself. Anyways what this stick you mentioned not heard of that.

6. Holte66 August 15, 2018 at 6:26 pm .

Was Lansbury injured last night. I haven’t heard anything about him. One good thing about Whelan playing last night is that he won’t be playing Saturday. I watch Villa games when on Sky sports. I get a good deal with phone, 40mb fibre broadband and TV with everything except movies and pay £58 / month. This was after cancelling and getting a deal a week before subscription was due to end. A case of holding my nerve! I read somewhere that if you take out AVTV and buy a VNP? with address registered in America for example then you can watch Villa games by streaming. Although I could easily have got that wrong.

1. Adam August 15, 2018 at 7:26 pm .

Dont get Lansbury. He could be a 7 to 10 goal midfielder plus assists yet hasnt shown any desire or consistent run of form since he signed for us. I also get the impression Bruce isnt too impressed. Probably another Richards/Mccormack on our books…Sigh!

2. Texas Johnny August 15, 2018 at 10:30 pm .

I don’t know if the VPN works – streaming from Texas on avtv, I have to have location services turned on to even see the game being available to stream. I’m back in UK next month so will check out the Now TV too.

7. Ron Knee August 15, 2018 at 7:31 pm .

Evening all
    I’m not a regular contributor to the site but often look in to see what fellow members of the Faithful have to say on things Villa.
    I’d just like to ask if anyone knows the name of a good anger management counsellor, because if I ever (a) see Elphick in a Villa shirt again or (b) hear Bruce utter the words ‘that little bit of qualit-ee’ one more time, I really can’t be held accountable for my actions.

8. Hitchens60 August 15, 2018 at 8:47 pm .

Right – here’s where I get a ‘big kicking’.

I though Wheelan did OK in the roll he was asked to play last night in sitting in front of the back four. He reads the game well and was quick to spot where Yeovil players needed closing down. OK he’s never going to be Mr. Creative but I can’t remember him carelessly giving the ball away.

Backside ready – yellow pages in place LOL

PS – that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t rather see Thor in the DM role! (Blimey loads of double negatives there LOL)