Wigan – Villa; Another 3 points, surely (hopefully)?

I’ve got to be honest and say I’ve hardly read any Villa news at all this week.
Too much to do and not enough hours etc, but I actually feel a bit guilty in not keeping up.
It’s a funny thing being a footy fan, isn’t it?

Anyway, what to say?
Surely this has to be another 3 points in the bag, doesn’t it?
Wigan’s home form is the outright worst in the Championship, with them having only won 3 games at home. Yep, even worse than Rotherham.
They don’t score many either and a 0-1 is most likely to nick the result.

So what do we know?
Wigan have binned manager Warren Joyce after just 4 months and assistant Graham Barrow takes charge.
Will that mean a new manager bounce? I doubt it, myself.

Will Grigg and Donervon Daniels are both out with knee injuries, but Sam Morsy returns from suspension and Shaun MacDonald could feature.
Apart from Will Grigg, I haven’t heard of any of them, so I don’t have a clue if that’s good or bad.

As for us, the good news is that Henri Lansbury, Scott Hogan and Jack Grealish have all trained this week.
Will any of them start is the question and I’m not convinced they should. Why change a winning team, after all?
Although I suspect Steve Bruce might have other ideas.
Hence I’d expect Lansbury and Hogan to show, if they are truly fit.

“Hitchens” informs me that Jedinak is going to play at Centre Back and Bruce sees that as his future position (ta). That’s interesting and rightly begs the question of where it leaves Elphick. Up a certain creek, I’d suggest, although he won’t be easy to move on, with his no doubt inflated wages.
He’s very decent, albeit expensive back-up though.

Prediction time then and I’ll be incredibly disappointed if we don’t come away with the win.
Whatever side starts or how we play really doesn’t matter, as I expect us to just have too much quality and confidence, even if we make hard work of it.

I probably really shouldn’t say it, but I expect nothing less than 3 points.

Villa to win 2-0.
And Hourihane to get one

1. VillaAwayInDiv3 March 18, 2017 at 7:32 pm . Reply

With all the crazy results of late I recon theres not a good team in this league….there are a few really bad ones though….

2. Tekkers48 March 18, 2017 at 9:52 pm . Reply

Five wins in last six. Five clean sheets in the last six. Two away wins in our last Three away. Surely the corner has been turned. As Ooh Ahh pointed out earlier, if we keep this form until the end of the season we will be cursing the early games were we threw points away. But on a positive note we are starting to look like a Brucey team. One that now knows how to grind out results. It’s what this league is all about. I truly believe we will be properly be prepared for a new season for the first time in years. Settled team !

3. nath March 19, 2017 at 6:59 am . Reply

i love for us to get into playoff. but sheff wed won’t lose enough points for us to slip in. i think its more about keeping this form all the way to the finish. that will be the springboard for next season and beyond. i thouht reading would be the team that misses out. but i think the teams will finish in the same positions now. newcastle winners, brighton runners up, leeds huddersfield reading wednesday, with leeds winning playoffs i think we can finish 8 that will be a good season if you consider were we have been. if we have finished this season like are current form is now. this will be the turning point for us.

1. Hitchens 60 March 19, 2017 at 7:21 am . Reply

And it’s a fact that teams tend to.take their end of season form into the new season (as long as they don’t lose their best players!)

1. nath March 19, 2017 at 9:27 am . Reply

totally agree about carrying the form into next. its like the opposite to recent past only we carried our bad form into new seasons lol

i think this squad will stick together, their will be a few sold but i can’t see any major surgery, just the routine ones maybe a few squad boosters oh and forgot a goalkeeper

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 23, 2017 at 2:47 am . Reply

Do u think we would keep Kodja

1. Hitchens 60 March 23, 2017 at 8:20 am . Reply

Well, SB has said they would only sell for mega bucks which would fund a replacement. SB has also made strong statements over retaining the best of our development players. I am hoping we will see a much stronger and resilient policy towards transfers under Xia / Wyness.

4. Hitchens 60 March 19, 2017 at 8:47 am . Reply

A question – setting aside the argument over whether or not we should be providing experience for other teams players – would you now have Sam Johnstone back in goal next season (even if it were a loan), rely on Jed Steer or buy a more experienced GK?

I do think we need to use the loan system more effectively next season. I don’t get the negative argument – every other club looks to benefit from it. However, the players we get either have to improve us or give us good quality cover.

1. nath March 19, 2017 at 9:30 am . Reply

jed steed is capable of championship. but if they can buy or loan sam johnstone i think he is more than good enough now and is improving with each game. sam is just ahead of jed if we had these two next season thats enough for me.

1. Hitchens 60 March 19, 2017 at 6:43 pm . Reply

Can’t argue with that Nath. On the wider issue of loan players – you only have to look at Bristol City loaning Abrahams from Chelsea – 22 goals and may well be the reason they stay up. Quite happy to have a bit of that!

5. Hitchens 60 March 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm . Reply

Villa fans, me included, have said they would like to see Gil back at Villa Park next season but it appears Gil would prefer to stay in Spain – if that’s the case probably better to let him go.

When we signed Vertout, he was touted as a real prospect but looked lost in the Prem. Has performed well on loan and I think he would be a great addition to he squad next season – maybe more so than Gil. Should we be trying to retain one or the other but not both?

6. badger123 March 19, 2017 at 8:41 pm . Reply

I doubt we’ll see either of them at the Villa again, Hitch.

In other news, well done Villa for reciprocating the £20 for Reading fans, after they did the same for ours.

Conversely, boo razz Villa. The OS is still utter crap.
    “Get your highlights” said the e-mail.
    Except the video wasn’t available and the site is painfully slow, even on a Sunday afternoon.
    It’s frankly embarrassing that an outfit the size of the Villa can’t maintain a decent website.

1. Hitchens 60 March 19, 2017 at 9:42 pm . Reply

What has the Villa OS and Bham Mail web site got in common?

Yep – they are both awful (avoids using bad language!) 🙂

2. Hitchens 60 March 21, 2017 at 7:47 pm . Reply

Badger – agree that Gil is unlikely to return (given his alleged comments) but I’d take a small (‘cos I hate losing 🙂 ) bet that Vertout will be back if Dr. T feels there is enough fan support to push for it. Not sure what that says about SB influence?

3. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 23, 2017 at 2:48 am . Reply

It’s even more embarrassing that we can’t maintain a decent team either!

4. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 23, 2017 at 2:49 am . Reply

Xia is having a laugh thinking we will go global. If they can’t a basic website right they’ve no chance

7. Benno March 20, 2017 at 10:15 pm . Reply

In terms of a keeper, I know Johnstone has been doing pretty well lately, but I still feel a more experienced keeper is what we need. Its definitely a key position if we want to come up next season.

1. brian bainbridge March 21, 2017 at 4:21 pm . Reply

The Birmingham mail website is so shite ,being from Liverpool I cant get the paper and I like to keep up with what’s going on in my second city but it takes me all night to get the bloody news ha.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 23, 2017 at 2:50 am . Reply

Agree they have the worst site on the planet. Their sports pages are of sync and don’t bake sense

8. Hitchens 60 March 21, 2017 at 10:01 pm . Reply

Bit like the Marie Celeste on here 🙂

9. Saddened March 22, 2017 at 12:00 pm . Reply

H60 – where is everyone ??

1. badger123 March 22, 2017 at 12:31 pm . Reply

Just not much to discuss really, I suppose.

1. Hitchens 60 March 22, 2017 at 1:58 pm . Reply

Mmmm – nothing really negative to post you mean Badger 🙂

There are some interesting points to consider – loan players McCormack, Sanchez, Gil and Vertout all still on the books – keep or sell? Should SB take the opportunity to take a serious look at some of our development squad over the last eight games – players like Jordan Lydon. What do we think of the Jedi in defence and playing Amavi / Hutton as old fashioned wing backs – will / should Amavi stay?

No Giddy, no Bill – ah well will just have to talk to the missus!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 23, 2017 at 2:52 am . Reply

Where’s Bill and Giddy gone to

1. Hitchens 60 March 23, 2017 at 8:14 am .

Oohah – understand (from Bill) that Giddy was upset by something posted on the site. I think Bill might be on a cruise but guessing really.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 27, 2017 at 12:11 am .

Ok mate thanks. No idea what could upset them maybe it was that spell of positivity coming from me 😄

2. Hitchens 60 March 22, 2017 at 1:59 pm . Reply

No idea mate.

1. Hitchens 60 March 23, 2017 at 8:16 am . Reply

That was in answer to Saddened although I suspect his was a rhetorical question 🙂

3. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 23, 2017 at 2:51 am . Reply

Seasons over for us I guess. It’s gone quiet since we had nothing to play for since Jan