Wigan 3 -0 Villa; Embarrasing and promotion hopes totally gone. It’s really worrying.

To be honest, I just couldn’t get inspired enough to even do a preview for this game.
There are only so many times you can say “this is a game we ought to win easily”, while we go on to lose emphatically, which was the sneaky feeling that I had.

And just as I found it hard to do a preview, so I’m finding it difficult to do a review.

I just can’t understand how we’ve gone from a vibrant, attacking side to the “we’re f***ing sh*t!” that our amazing travelling support were singing about today, in such a short time.

I’ve got to be honest and I was wondering what Dean Smith was thinking with his substitutions today.
I totally fail to comprehend why Elphick was replaced for Hause today. What does that say to a player who’s just been recalled? Elphick was rightly annoyed and I totally understand why when Taylor was yet again poor.
Why didn’t Hause replace Taylor at Left back?
As it happened, Hause looked exactly what he is; a player who hasn’t played at this level in a month of Sundays.
He panicked and looked rushed, being caught out twice in two minutes. His indecisiveness and poor judgement led to him putting Kalinic under serious pressure a few times, because of poor back-passes.
If he gets another start in the next month, it’ll be too soon for me.
So much for him looking great in training.
He looked much worse than my impressions of Taylor when he first came, who by the way, if you haven’t got my message yet, is utter garbage.

And if you’re losing a game, why do you bring Whelan on, when his game is shoring up a defence? We’ve seen this before from Smith and I find it worrying. What does Whelan offer if you’re chasing a game?
Where was Lansbury, who did ok when he came on against Swansea? Does he really have a tight Hamstring?

Likewise Kodjia.
The rumour is that he’s off to Nice for £6 million, after apparently being spotted at Birmingham airport. Really?
I know he’s Marmite amongst the Villa fans, but £6 mill? That’s horrendous business for someone, who, while he hasn’t done it this season, has proven that he can, FOR US, which is the important part.

Bree is another totally average player.
I’ve often hinted at it, but never really mentioned it too much, because I don’t want to be seen to be running our younger players down.
If he’s better than Hutton, well, we think differently, it’s as simple as that.
At least Hutton shows energy and drive, although hands up that’s not really good enough in itself, is it?

And there lies our problem, I think.

We have far too many utterly average players, who will never produce anything good.
It’ll at best be “ok and he did a job”.

This isn’t good enough.

And all this is while we supposedly have the best squad in the league.
Individually, I’d agree with that assessment. On paper, we do have at least one of the best squads in the league.
But they have proven time after time that if you take a tiny bit of glue, as in Grealish or Tuanzebe, out, they simply don’t perform as a unit.
They’re a team of individuals.

And this needs changing.

Is the solution bringing the kids in?
I really don’t think so, myself.
Yes, ease the odd one or two in, but we can’t expect them to be our saviours.
Callum O’Hare proved that last week, after all.

Today was an awful result, against one of the worst performing sides in the league.
I’ll bet Wigan don’t kick on from this result, because they’re basically poor and we all know it.

So where does that leave us, apart from currently being worse?

Well, changing the manager is quite simply not an option, as much as I thought he got things wrong today.

We need new players.
And no, I’m not talking about our kids.

I’m minded to think that Smith has until the end of the season, the way things are going.
Which is ridiculous really.
But we all know how things work in footy.
Rowett and Karanka were gone after very short periods, after all.

Hitchens60 January 15, 2019 at 7:47 am .

It seems that Mitch Clark has picked up another injury and Jordan Lyden has been injured in training as is likely out for the rest of the season! Even being rational, we do seem to pick up a disproportionate number of injuries.

With Lyden’s past injury problems, I can’t see him getting a new contract in the summer.

Bill Pearson January 15, 2019 at 11:12 am .

A bit from the express and Star

Villa host in-form Hull on Saturday aiming to bounce back from last weekend’s sorry 3-0 defeat at Wigan.

The desperate performance at the DW Stadium saw players loudly booed by an away following which made up a third of the total 13,800 attendance.

Smith said: “If I have a message for the supporters, it is stick with us. Wigan will be the bottom of where we will be.

“The support we bring with us is fantastic and they didn’t deserve to see a second half performance like that.

“We will work very hard now to turn it round. Hopefully come the end of the season, the fans are singing the players’ names.”

The club have handed a first professional contract to teenage forward Michael Tait.

Hitchens60 January 15, 2019 at 1:54 pm .

Being reported, February 8th earliest date for Grealish return – if so will have missed 13 games or more that 25% of the season!

Bill Pearson January 15, 2019 at 2:36 pm .

That’s over 3 weeks then, I just hope he’s got a replacement lined up .

Hitchens60 January 15, 2019 at 7:17 pm .

In the interests of accuracy Bill, it seems my arithmetic has followed in the footsteps of my memory. It will actually be 10 games not 13 – so roughly 20% of the season. Still a long time though.

Holte66 January 15, 2019 at 7:31 pm .

By the time Jack is ready to play we will be too far away from top six to have any chance of closing the gap. I think Smith should change the formation while he is out. It’s obvious that the 4-3-3 doesn’t work without Grealish. Why not switch to 4-4-2 and go with Hogan and Abraham up front. Bjarnasson, Hourihane, McGinn and either Adomah or Lansbury as a midfield quartet. Left back play Hutton instead of the waste of space Taylor. Persevere with Bree at RB and Chester, Elphick as CB’s. For me I would drop Bolasie and El Ghazi because they have offered hardly anything. Can’t we terminate their loans and recall Green?

Hitchens60 January 16, 2019 at 2:25 pm .

According to the Birmingham Mail we’ve signed (or are about to sign) yet another goal keeper – is this the sequel to the horror film ‘Too Many Right Backs’? Oh well, I suppose eventually we’ll find a half decent one!

DSVilla January 16, 2019 at 4:44 pm .

Maybe we are going to ask for dispensation so we can field two keepers. That might stop us conceding as many.

Bill Pearson January 16, 2019 at 5:29 pm .

DS . I wrote the same you said then deleted it, I see we are on the verge of going for a winger from Mansfield, Hamilton .

DSVilla January 17, 2019 at 6:11 pm .

great minds Bill 😉

Badger123 January 16, 2019 at 7:50 pm .

The odd one might happen Bill, but most, if not all, are rubbish rumours.

I would have said that any we were previously linked with can be discounted, but it may be that previous DOF suggestions have been upheld.
      The Kalinic deal is a case in hand.
      I really doubt that was a Dean Smith signing, myself, but he’s had to go with it.
      Likewise this new goalkeeper.

Ageeing deals at a club/DOF level might be a good thing, but I’m not convinced, if the incumbent manager isn’t keen.

Especially when we’ve changed DOFs already.
      Where’s the continuity in that?
      You might as well just let the manager choose, as at least he’s happy with who he’s brought in.

Hitchens60 January 17, 2019 at 8:04 am .

Bill, don’t think there’s anything particularly new or exciting in the Holte 7500 report and I tend to agree with Badger. If I was a betting man, then Rico Henry is possibly the most likely as a left back is the most pressing need. We also desperately need a quality DM and that might be the one flying under the radar.

Not sure that I agree with your views about signings being made which Dean Smith isn’t fully happy with though, other than the fact that you can only sign players that are affordable and avaiable (in either order) and we desperately needed a new goal keeper. Croatia’s No 1 isn’t that bad a deal for €7m in today’s highly inflated market.

Smith, I believe is head coach – modern way of working with the DOF taking some of the management load of his shoulders, alowing Smith to concentrate on developing and improving the playing side.

Hitchens60 January 17, 2019 at 8:09 am .

Just picking up on the DM; the one player not mentioned in the article is James McCarthy. After a year out it would be a risk but he’s a very good player and a six month loan?

Hitchens60 January 17, 2019 at 10:16 am .

Andre Green recalled from loan spell at Portsmouth – good decision – now put him in the squad and get him playing for us.

Pat 57 January 17, 2019 at 1:56 pm .

I’d put Green straight on the bench. At least he can provide something different up front if needed.

God I hate these transfer windows, I find the suspense quite draining…

Hitchens60 January 17, 2019 at 2:22 pm .

I thought it interesting that Smith wasn’t asked about Green’s return in today’s press conference – well not by AVTV. Wonder if they were instructed not to mention him after Bielsagate!

Hitchens60 January 17, 2019 at 4:31 pm .

Interesting that Kenny Jackett has said Green recalled as Villa need to meet home grown quota in squad – does that suggest further additions from overseas?