Why Villa Can Never Be Great Again.

This is an interesting article by Martin Samuel of how the FFP makes our club virtually unsellable and how it protects the elite. It’s what we’ve all thought for a while but seeing it laid bare in black and white makes for depressing reading.

This is a factual article IMO and a just read for all Villa fans that have delusions of grandeur regarding-not just next season-but for many a season after that. Aston Villa RIP!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. belcs July 21, 2014 at 7:16 am .

Been saying it for a while, we’d all be better off if the club was killed off.
    Who really wants to invest any time, energy or money in the ambitionless, hopeless, pathetic joke we have become.
    This is what Lerner and Lamberk have done to us. Irreversible damage. Goodbye AVFC

2. Hitchens 60 July 21, 2014 at 7:39 am .

The article uses Villa’s current position as a focal point but, in reality, it says ,
    More about the state of the EPL as a truly competitive league and the willingness of those who run football in Europe to bow to the wishes of the rich clubs. How long before a Super European league is formed for the privileged few? Sad as it is, it won’t include Villa but if it leaves behind an EPL that gives all teams a real chance of success then, for me, the quicker the better

1. Bill Pearson July 21, 2014 at 8:29 am .

I said that 10 year’s ago and cannot believe its not been done about European league, I don’t know if anyone aware that this Saturday the 1982 European winners Aston Villa are playing at Bar well FC ground Leicester, 3 o’clock kick off all are attending that venue, nice that fans that was not here then can meet that team that won the cup, A thing that will not be repeated with our shower.I was there.

3. BillyWalkerShirt July 21, 2014 at 8:01 am .

This here UEFA fair play bullshit were never more than self serving regulations created by UEFA under pressure from the big boys for no other reason than to retain the status quo with I believe Bayern and Man U factured the main players in pushing this (or should that be their) agenda.
    They simply don’t want another Man City gatecrashing their party and anyone who thought these UEFA financial fair play anything other than protectionism is deluded.

1. DSVilla July 21, 2014 at 8:55 am .

Platini seems the main force behind FFP and I think that his motives here are genuine. He has talked about clubs spending more than they can afford and distorting competition as well as risking their own future. The reality is that it plays into the hands of the wealthiest clubs who can manipulate their finances.
      Aston Villa are in pretty much the same position as any other also ran, but I guess a wealthy enough new owner could manipulate in the same way. As long as they capitalise the investment rather than loan it and use group organisations as sponsors etc they can still disguise their losses. I just don’t see it happening with Aston Villa and never have. The only surprise to me though is that the Chinese haven’t jumped in somewhere, though they seem more interested in businesses that make money rather than vanity projects so perhaps thats why.

1. Bum Bum July 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm .

…and what happened to the so called investigation into the Ā£400m ground sponsorship at Man Citeh? It’s all so corrupt. Haven’t renewed since MON left. Still getting calls from the AV PR dept…Told them to forget it. Another three mates are not renewing this term either. What’s the point???

4. Ken July 21, 2014 at 8:13 am .

Sadly what is written is the TRUTH and it is the reality of Aston Villa right now and probably whatever iteration the club finds itself in 10 years from now.

I am all for regulation where regulation is needed but in a domain that is operated on a principle of greed, FFP is designed to feed the greed of the administrators, top players, politicians (vested interest with billionaires), sponsors and the broadcast media.

Heritage means nothing in football, history is just that and legacy is all about who can keep their status in the elite, not about the values, virtues, standards or ethics of a club. Greed is the only god that is being served and because Aston Villa did not strike while the fire was hot, we have missed the boat and will probably never be a giant in the game nor will we be apart of the soon coming European and Global Leagues.

Did I want my club to sell its soul to the devil? No. Never!

Would I accept being a second tier team to preserve the Values and Ethics of Aston Villa? Yes! A club whose founding fathers had links to the community, the local church (Lozells) and was created for the people of this city. Absolutely yes I would accept Villa never being a Mega Club!

1. BillyWalkerShirt July 24, 2014 at 6:08 am .

Here here ken, nice one mate.

5. Jay Dee July 21, 2014 at 9:11 am .

Fair play rules are just saying don’t overspend to the point where it might put the club at risk of going broke.I wouldn’t worry to much about it.At the moment we AVFC are what we are a club rebuilding.International clubs rebuild Germany did it not so long ago and so do league clubs.There is no quick fix for Aston Villa.We had so much debt in 2010 somewhere along the line Lerner had to reign it in you know why he did it and it’s hard to chew on isn’t it but it’s the way it is.We still are a big club by winnings,tradition,ground and fanbase.We can be a force again but it will take time longer than we obviously think.Long live the Villa….VTID

1. nath July 21, 2014 at 12:16 pm .

well said mate šŸ™‚

2. BillyWalkerShirt July 24, 2014 at 6:13 am .

That’s a bit of a naive perspective fair play rules to say the least JD, do you still believe in Farther Christmas and the tooth Fairy too? Read Ken’s comment above for something near to the truth.

6. nath July 21, 2014 at 12:14 pm .

man i feel pissed off reading this šŸ™ we are a great club run badly. once we get some stability of new owner, new goals we are as big as anything in england and europe. fair play is bulshit we need 2 hurry up and regain our mojo or lose our place in the big leagues.

7. LANGFORDVILLA July 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm .

There is fuck all in that article that we dont already know. Lazy, lazy journalism. Does not affect my love or support for our great club!

1. Bill Pearson July 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm .

If you believe everything journalist write you’d go mental, we’ve been in the doldrums for donkeys years and now its thrown at you again, just give it time big development in Brum will bring the money men in, yes we will have heartache for a few year’s but Aston Villa will never die, believe me.

2. Bum Bum July 21, 2014 at 12:55 pm .

Well it should do Langford. Wake up and smell the cheap, bargain basement out of date coffee we now serve.
      The only way Lerner will act is by seeing empty seats. Even if that sole act is to close down the club and put us all out of our misery. 3-1 Mansfield. Whoopedy fooking do! BANG! Urk…

1. LANGFORDVILLA July 21, 2014 at 1:23 pm .

Why should it affect my support? I never lost faith when we were languishing in the 3rd division. By comparison, to keep loyal these days is a doddle. Not ready to have my Villa tattoos removed. The good times WILL return!

1. Lamberk July 21, 2014 at 3:13 pm .

There’s a reason you never lost faith during the Division 3 days Langford. Back then it was more of a level playing field. If you built a good side you could actually win the league and now, finishing 6th is deemed a success.
          After gaining promotion from Division 3, look at the players Villa were still able to attract. Ian Ross from Liverpool, John Robson from Derby who the previous season had won the Division 1 title but still agreed to drop down a division to join. Alex Cropley from Arsenal. All fantastic players who were prepared to drop down in order to get back up.
          Now days without serious, serious investment your lucky to even stand still.
          The outlook is very bleak I’m afraid, but as you say, good or bad you just stick with it because thats was we do.

8. LANGFORDVILLA July 21, 2014 at 4:26 pm .

Dont get me wrong as I am seriously unhappy with the way things have been since MON left. Your right to say things have changed dramatically since the Div 3 days. Most of that is down to Sky IMO. There are 80 odd other clubs in a far worse situation than us though.
    Its difficult to see a change for the better any time soon but I/we have to soldier on and hope for some kind of cup glory.
    Many have suggested a European League for the elite (financially elite that is). I do feel that this would leave a more level playing field for the rest.
    Unfortunately, football and footballers are all about money these days. Its diabolic that very good players (Milner and others) are prepared to play a bit part from the bench as long as their pay cheques remains the same. A very sad state of affairs. But what can I do? Villa’s in the blood, a Saturday afternoon ritual that defines the rest of my week/year/season. There is nothing I can do to change that, and I am not sure that I would want to!
    Belief and hope is what I cling to!.
    UTV

9. Bill Pearson July 21, 2014 at 5:23 pm .

Langford its so sad to think a club like the Villa did not move with the times, I knew things was going wrong with the likes of Barry, Milner, moving out, a manager trying to play it different with unproved youngster’s, we have a hill to climb and I cannot see us doing it without money, sponsors have abandoned us, boxes unsold, money must be leaking out the back door like water, you and I have seen the glory days, others will suffer in disbelief, it hurts to see my club being driven under like it is, but I’ll not turn away, I will live in hope that some rich businessman will save us, as I’ve said Birmingham will have development that might be Villas turning point.

10. Riddog July 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm .

LANGFORD

I remember having a long conversation with you about the takeover state of affairs and an ‘Turkish connection’. Please can you clarify and expand on this….