Why Villa Can Never Be Great Again.

This is an interesting article by Martin Samuel of how the FFP makes our club virtually unsellable and how it protects the elite. It’s what we’ve all thought for a while but seeing it laid bare in black and white makes for depressing reading.

This is a factual article IMO and a just read for all Villa fans that have delusions of grandeur regarding-not just next season-but for many a season after that. Aston Villa RIP!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. GIDDYVILLAN July 21, 2014 at 8:14 pm . Reply

VILLA will always be a great club in my eyes but it doesn’t stop me feeling fucked off with the present state of affairs.VTID

2. Adam July 21, 2014 at 10:13 pm . Reply

We could easily be fighting at the top of the league if we had clever people running the club. Yes spending 300 mil in one season on the best players around seems to be the way to do it now, which will never happen to us but Your telling me that in all the thousands and thousands of footballers around the world we couldnt build an exciting young team with a squad full of benteke type players. Players that are young and have REAL potential, players we could snap up for 6,7 mil not on massive wages? It can be done, quite easily. We just don’t have the staff or the willingness to scout the depths of the earth to find the talent. so really a buyer shouldn’t be put off us because of FFP rules at all, as being clever and working hard behind the scenes can be just as rewarding as spending 300 odd mill.

3. badger123 July 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm . Reply

“Many have suggested a European League for the elite (financially elite that is). I do feel that this would leave a more level playing field for the rest.”

My god no, please don’t call for this setup.

The rest of the Prem that’s left would be relegated to the equivalent of Championship status, IE secondary level.
    And how do we currently judge the Championship?
    Well, for me, it’s totally not important, the three teams coming up apart.

If you create a European league, that’s where the kids will go. We’re already seeing it with the Sky 4/5/6 and it will only get worse, imo.

At least as things stand, you can support your local club.

That said, I predicted a Euro league years ago. It’s where the money is, sadly.

1. Adam July 21, 2014 at 10:44 pm . Reply

I agree, it would ruin the game and the prem. I think the financial implications would be massive.

4. BillyWalkerShirt July 22, 2014 at 8:20 am . Reply

This rot can be tracked back further than the formation of the Premier League in 92- back to 81 when the rule was changed in favour of the big clubs allowing them to keep all their home gate receipts.
    The 12 years prior to that 8 different teams had won the old 1st Division Title (Villa, Liverpool, Forest, Leeds, Derby, Arsenal, Everton and Leeds).
    Post 81 and up until the formation of the EPL only 4 teams teams.

And the formation of this Pan European League- it will happen, it’s just a matter of time.
    As long ago as 2011 clubs were threatening to bypass governing bodies and run their own affairs (a Kerry Packer type break away) as Karl-Heinz Rummenigge put it – a “revolution” for football: a European super league that would see the clubs seize control of their own affairs from the regulators.
    In 2012 the then Barcelona President Sandro Rossell made a threat to UEFA, that major European clubs would form a breakaway continental league in 2014, so it’s on the cards just a matter of when and not if.

5. Bill Pearson July 22, 2014 at 8:29 am . Reply

I’m not being carried away with the hype that we are doomed, every player that puts his boots on to play at one stage wants to be the best, Ive seen John Gregory win 11 games on the trot and teams could not play against us, why ? players was allowed to do their own thing in the game, not side to side or pass back but go forward every time. I’m waiting to see if strength and speed upsets other team’s and players wanting to be the best, I’m living in hope that Villa lifts itself to great days again. I banking on Keane to change our ideas with old players edging young one on, that’s not to much to hope for,is it? .

6. GIDDYVILLAN July 22, 2014 at 8:33 am . Reply

I’m just going to stick to drinking heavy that should get me through next season,well it hasn’t let me down so far.