Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Bill Pearson. April 11, 2014 at 7:37 pm .

We are all wishing, it ain’t going to happen, I’ve given in with the whole idea Villa will sell, Villa will buy, Villa will get rid of Faulkner, Lambert, and Lerner, the coaching staff, the rotten lot I want my club back.

badger123 April 11, 2014 at 8:05 pm .

It’s already easy to see the consensus here and I very much doubt there will be any that argue;
    Apart from Benteke, Guzan, maybe Delph and Albrighton and errm, I’m struggling, the whole lot can go.
    A challenging club would only be interested in the first two names, imo.

That’s an incredible indictment of our squad and shows how the project has failed massively, imo.

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 8:17 pm .

Albrighton really? In 2 years time he will be a mid table championship player at best! Which probably means he will still be with us. But seriously I don’t get why people rate him so highly.

badger123 April 11, 2014 at 8:34 pm .

I like the kid and feel he’s the only one who gives us an option in this current squad.
        He’s by far the best crosser we have at the club and even though AM nearly ruined him, I feel he could still be decent in a much better squad.
        I appreciate he’s Marmite though.

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 8:54 pm .

I fully agree in our current squad he maybe is one of the better players! But that’s not saying much. I just feel if we have aspirations of becoming a top half team again then the likes of Albrighton I’m afraid won’t be good enough.

OohAhPaulMcGrath April 11, 2014 at 9:55 pm .

Tbf he’s not that bad. In last few games he’s always looked more dangerous than the rest if the team put together. He is certainly better than players lamberk has signed like tonev etc. The only downside with MA is he dosnt track back enough and not good defensively. But he has definitely improved a bit in this area.

OohAhPaulMcGrath April 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm .

So true badger and Benteke is injury probe which will put some people of. Maybe okore could be added when fit though depends if he recovers ok without losing his pace.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 8:46 pm .

Albrighton also does have the best creating a chance to minutes ratio, despite rarely ever playing being the reason.

Guzan, I’d keep Vlaar and I still like Baker next to a leader. KEA simply for how important he’s proven to be, Benteke and Kozak are the only players I’d be sad seeing gone this summer.

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 8:57 pm .

Albrighton has got to earn himself a new contract so he is going to be trying harder! As soon as the ink has dried on the paper he will go back to his old ways im sure.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 9:15 pm .

I personally don’t rate him either, but I can see why some do, as he is our best creator, which shows how poor we have been.

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm .

Totally agree with you, someone made me laugh last week and argued that he was the best winger England had produced in years? He really does devide fans opinion big time.

OohAhPaulMcGrath April 11, 2014 at 9:59 pm .

I see the villa os is offering a sale tomorrow of merchandise at under £5. Hope that includes the players!!

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 10:01 pm .

Shouldn’t be dividing them that much, he’s no where even close to that.

But then when we signed N’Zogbia, even on here people were claiming he was better than Young and Downing put together… so yeah, doesn’t surprise me.

OohAhPaulMcGrath April 11, 2014 at 9:57 pm .

I think the best thing we can say about MA is he’s the best of a bad bunch of midfielders and can at least create stuff.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm .

Indeed, but like when he first made his debut, he was very good, but drifted off incredibly quickly because he’s so one dimensional and predictable, like Antonio Valencia but not nearly as good. He’s best as a sub for me and I wouldn’t mind him staying if that’s all he was, as it would at least mean we wouldn’t have to sign 20 more players, just 19. 😉

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 10:13 pm .

Totally agree, he is one of our better players but it doesn’t excite me for a promising future of our club.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm .

I don’t think he’s really one of our better players, but he’s one of the “less” tired players. Could be using our young wingers that went out on loan who are better than him already.

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 10:54 pm .

I think I meant better performers not players.

OohAhPaulMcGrath April 11, 2014 at 9:55 pm .

That’s what worries me can see the same happening with vlaar who’s starting to struggle a bit again

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 10:06 pm .

He is, but then our midfield looks weak again. Mainly because KEA is out. We’ve lost 9 out of 10 games without him and all 9 we looked pitiful and Vlaar’s suffered. I still think he’s Premier League worthy/good enough and hopefully with this summer we’ll sign a midfielder or two to add any protection.

COE1982 April 11, 2014 at 10:18 pm .

KEA is another player dividing opinion! our record with him starting is better than without him but people say his one of the worst signings under Lamberk? For me is a player that does his job but you never notice it, bit like Petrov in a way.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 10:23 pm .

Think he is our new Petrov. Works hard, doesn’t have the passing skill set so he keeps it short and easy, strong, works hard, makes some good runs forward even though he’s not quick enough to do it, neither of our other two midfielders even try to get behind the defenders. Has a lot more ability than given credit for. Far more than just a hard worker.

The original Voice of Reason April 11, 2014 at 10:38 pm .

Gabby, Luna, Bennett, Weimann, Tonev, Hutton (no brainier), El Almahdi, Baker, Given (clearly), Bent, Fonz, N’Zogbia (sick note), Culverhouse and the most obvious Lambert all need to go, so that does not leave us with much

Maybe we also need a new mega rich chairman (hint at takeover) to fund the purchase of 11 players and a new manager (Michel of Olympiakos maybe)

The one and only VOR April 11, 2014 at 10:52 pm .

Also add Albrighton, Herd, Sylla, Stevens and Bowery to that list and even Westwood is considered close to the chopping board, just don’t rate him.

Bencey83 April 11, 2014 at 10:55 pm .

Hopefully Lambert, closely followed by Lerner.

Bencey83 April 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm .

Personally, I feel that most of our players now have potential, but I’m not sure that Lambert and his coaching team (oh, hang on – isn’t that just him and his assistant anyway?) are the best people to bring this potential out. It’s particularly worrying that certain players not only seem to be not improving, but actually getting worse. Look at Baker! I thought he looked like one of our most promising defenders last season. This season I don’t know what’s happened!

Bencey83 April 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm .

I’d probably say that only Delph, KEA and Vlaar have shown any signs of improvement from last season. Oh, and Bennett when he made his cameo appearance.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 11:54 pm .

“Asked about whether he has earned a new deal, Lambert replied: “That will take care of itself, I’ve more pressing priorities.
    “Honestly, I think there’s more things to get on with. I think that’s the least of people’s worries.
    “I’m not one to look after my own back, that’s not the way I am as person. The team, the club is more important than me.”
    in arguably the most candid comments of his 22-month reign, Lambert cast his trademark positivity aside to finally confront a bleaker picture.
    “There’s a lot of stuff that people don’t see,” said Lambert.
    “Am I happy where we are? No. Did I come to Aston Villa to do this? No.
    “This club should be higher, there’s no two ways about it. It’s got a great tradition and a great pedigree.”

His recent comments in an article from Kendrick. It amazes me that he claims we shouldn’t be where we are right now, because we have great tradition and pedigree as a club, but that’s it, nothing about we shouldn’t be where we are because we have a better side than arguably 10-11 teams, we shouldn’t be where we are because if tactics were correct we’d have been safe for 2 months now. We shouldn’t be where we are because the team can perform so much better than they have. It’s not about what Villa used to be, Villa aren’t that same team anymore, but Villa shouldn’t be where we are because the team is better than 90% of the performances this season. And that’s ALL down to Lambert and his terrible tactics. But it’s okay, he’s not happy and he believes we’re a great club so that’s all that matters I guess.

Andrew April 11, 2014 at 11:58 pm .

“I knew the first few years here would be really hard because of what we had to do. I knew that myself.
    “But we have to get this club up there. I’m certainly not sitting here thinking this is good. No, we need to progress.
    “There is definitely progress being made. There is a good nucleus of younger players there. That’s definitely an area of major progress.
    “But, ultimately, you need to win games.”

More comments. So there’s definite progress, yet he has a worse record than McLeish, we’re not winning games, but the teams younger so clear progress is made… Fascinating.

“This is a long, long term project,” said Lambert.
    “I always think you earn the right to be where you are. What you’ve got here is a club that’s traditionally a European Cup winner, a club who have won the title before, albeit all those years ago.
    “So the history and expectancy levels are there but there’s got to be that realism of ‘right, this is where we are at this minute.’
    “You respect the past and embrace it because that’s what it is. We have got to do everything we can to get this club up the ladder. We’ve got to.”

These comments about our tradition honestly bores me, we’ve won the European Cup once… We had a great early 80’s and that’s about it. Yes we’re traditionally a solid Premier League club, but that’s been it after the first couple seasons since the Premier League started. We as fans are realistic, we’re not expecting a CL title at all, or even the league, but safety should’ve been well sealed months ago.