Page 1 of 2 1 2
    adam2231 October 23, 2013 at 8:47 am .

You are absolutely right, I never actually realised that Villa are yet to ‘outplay’ a team. We couldn’t even do that against Norwich!

The only thing I’ll disagree on is Lerner’s support, he’s given the manager a good amount of money to work with over the last two years. Β£40 million has been spent on new players over the last two years. Some transfers were simply better than others.

One way I can see Aston Villa’s fortunes change, is a change of system. I’m still for a 4-4-2 formation, as I feel we should utilise the height that Kozak, Benteke and Helenius offer. Put in to wingers, get them to cross in the ball and two forwards will create chaos in the box.

Bill Pearson October 23, 2013 at 9:26 am .

MarkDrapernumber8. A excellent post and very very true, I’m the same as you on this, I stood by knowing we needed to change and went along with Lambert ideas, but now questions are to be ask , what are you doing to my club by dishing up games we should have won, teams now know us and how we play, we don’t change our system the way we should, to me it shows bad management. Once again Mark a post with common sence well put. Our midfield is useless, Kea is not a main player in the middle no direction in distribution of play, we need a player with ideas on creating openings, our midfield don’t work.

markdrapernumber8 October 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm .

Cheers mate. Yeh I agree with you on all of that.

Terry Jones October 23, 2013 at 9:08 am .

Mark mate a very good post but Lambert was the wrong choice to start with he had never really proved anything at Norwich.He was taken on the back of what certain fans thought writing was on the wall when he first delved into the transfer market.Young hungry players i can use the Dortmund model and build a team from scratch attitude and look where it;s got us nearly relegated and no signs of real improvement a team that,s so disjointed it;s frightening.As you say no improvement by December the 25th then he must be replaced.

adam2231 October 23, 2013 at 9:25 am .

If you were the owner, what manager would you have realistically hired? Lambert was the best candidate at the time.

If Lambert was to get sacked now, the only manager that would be an improvement is arguably Di Matteo. And that’s IF you could convince him to come here

Bill Pearson October 23, 2013 at 9:33 am .

Adam123 he was poached from Norwich was he not, and for what reasons I wonder, so what we have was forced on to us, we all thought it was for the best.

Andrew October 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm .

Di Matteo’s in 0 ways an upgrade. Could have gotten Sociedad’s manager, could have gone for a multitude of foreign manager’s, far better than Lambert or Di Matteo. Doesn’t take much either, like at Southampton’s, he’s managed… Espanyol and he’s still dominating just about every team.

Bill Pearson October 23, 2013 at 9:34 am .

Sorry Adam 2231……. πŸ™‚

Jay Dee October 23, 2013 at 10:46 am .

Good post and your obviously venting your point of view.Nzogbia never really is in form he is inconsistent far to often than not and that’s why he’s out plus probably his wages.As for relegation or a relegation fight I can’t answer that and neither can you.We do need a creative playmaker to open up defences and pop it around the area as I put in my previous post AVFC Rollercoaster.Our main problem at the moment is inconsistency.Many supporters panic and think the worst hence the mumblings and groanings of the AVFC old farts moaning club or news and view negative moaning sold farts club it’s their age you see.Also you can hold a manager responsible for some things but not poor play.If you look at the Spurs game the tactics where working until Townsends fluke goal.We had Spurs contained and they have spent over 100 million.The only games we have been outplayed is Liverpool.We played poor 1st halves against Liverpool and Newcastle.We had man city on the run at times and there squad is massively superior on paper.These are inexperienced premier league players and will have poor games up and down their form will go until they reach a consistent level.Lerner has backed Lambert in this project with fundings but the moaners just don’t like it because we are not winning trophies or back in Europe yet.But get this we ain’t good enough yet with the team we have so you have to be realistic and accept the building job that is underway.Dortmund where nearly relegated a few seasons ago when they did exactly the same as we are.Lambert is a coaching son of Dortmund he did his coaching badges there.Dont worry mate Lambert will sort Villa out UTV

BWS October 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm .

F**k Me JD you really do see things through rose coloured glasses, “Spurs game the tactics where working” are you for real? We were never at the races.
      The result against Man City was a total fluke and we were absolutely chronic against Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull and the Spuds (Cup).
      “the moaners just don’t like it because we are not winning trophies or back in Europe”
      No shit Sherlock.

OohAhPaulMcGrath October 23, 2013 at 4:30 pm .

Spot on BWS I think JD is on some sort of pill that makes him think he is watching Barcelona play when he watches us. I’m glad someone else has realised city result was a fluke.

BWS October 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm .

And lets put this Lambert German myth to bed, he played 44 games for Dortmund out a career total of 574 games (he was there one season 96/97). For the remaining 530 he played exclusively in the SPL so I think we can safely say the biggest influence on him will have been Scottish Football.
      Heaven help us.

OohAhPaulMcGrath October 23, 2013 at 4:32 pm .

Your on form BWS. Couldn’t agree more. Mark Hughes and Roy keane were great utd players but havnt really cut as managers eecoally keane.

BWS October 23, 2013 at 4:58 pm .

Cheers Oohah.

Colonius81 October 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm .

If you can categorically state that influence is based on the amount of games you play and where you play them I would agree with that.
        but there is the tiny matter of winning a champions league medal while he was there for one season that may just attach more weight to the 44 games in Germany.
        Coupled with the fact that he then chose to ignore where he played 530 games as a player and take his coaching in the country where he just played 44 ..
        There is the appointment of a German head scout although has left now ( which i am personally pretty disappointed about)

I don’t think there is anything mythical about the fact that Lambert was heavily influenced by his time spent in Germany. So for me no .. lets not put it to bed.
        its still a relevant factor when you think of Lambert and his approach to villa.
        oh and the fact he has openly admited he still refers back to the training/tactics and methods he learnt there.

OohAhPaulMcGrath October 23, 2013 at 4:40 pm .

What tactics does lamert use other than lumping it up to Benteke or Kojak and hope for the best. He is as bad as mclown IMO. To play the type of way Dortmund played last night you have to have quality players that are at least 10 steps ahead of ours. We havnt got that calibre of player in the team and never will have. The only class outfield player is cb and he can’t wait to fuck off

BWS October 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm .

Before the (fortunate) demise setanta sports I regularly watched, no suffered SPL games and the thing that always struck me was how narrow the game was (ring any bells?) How the full backs always played the ball inside and rarely ventured forward.
          I’m afraid to say the football we are witnessing down at VP is more Dumbarton than it is Dortmund.

markdrapernumber8 October 23, 2013 at 7:37 pm .

Cheers JD. Yeh but I don’t want to see us contunuisly “containing” teams, this is my point, we’re not doing anything our way, it’s more about damage limitation and if and when we can cathcing them cold at the back, too easily read by the opposition imo

Jay Dee October 23, 2013 at 11:59 am .

At the moment I remain confident as we have had a hard start to the season harder than most yet we have still got more points than we had this time last season and a better goal difference.

Troy Eccles October 23, 2013 at 12:33 pm .

“….even with the new lads we look a worse team than last season.”

The same games last season (substituting Hull for QPR) got us just 4 points and a GD of -15. This season, 10 points and a GD of just -1. Three of those games were during our up-tick in form from January 1.

Would you swap? No.
    Were we outplayed as you’ve stated? No.
    Are we likely relegation fodder this season? No.
    Are you moaning for the sake of it? Yes.

markdrapernumber8 October 23, 2013 at 7:29 pm .

If you’ve read my post mate, I don’t think you can say I’m moaning for the sake of it. That’s not ho I wanted it to come across anyway. I’m asking questions of whats happening at the moment.

How do you see it?

And were we outplayed? 100% Yes mate

Andrew October 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm .

100% yes? Nah. Arsenal fans are claiming they outplayed Dortmund. Possession doesn’t in any way mean you’re out playing someone. Out playing someone is what you create and what you do. Only two games we were out played were Newcastle and Spurs in the cup. The difference is, were we good enough in the other games? No. But considering us 100% outplayed is wrong imo.

old farts club and coffin dodgers utd. October 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm .

Its amazing how young punks turn on people that’s been on this planet longer and inevitably more the wiser, and come up with old farts. They have no idea who and what them old farts have done in life, if they knew they might think different, Jay Dee my young fried I have fought the cause for Aston Villa since a young child, so has other old farts. But our shoulders are strong not like the young ones of today. Adam could you start up an old farts club as it might be the answer to Villa’s problems. πŸ™‚

Jay Dee October 23, 2013 at 1:27 pm .

I just hope your wrong couldn’t face another season in the mire.I think Lambert is the right choice….UTV

Jay Dee October 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm .

I have a lot of respect for the old farts club but just like young punks we are human and not always correct.

old farts club and coffin dodgers utd. October 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm .

Glad you admit that Jay Dee, come and have a drink with me on Saturday in the Villa Tavern. Nechells. πŸ™‚

BWS October 23, 2013 at 2:44 pm .

MD8 a good post sir.

markdrapernumber8 October 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm .

Cheers mate

Vaze October 23, 2013 at 4:21 pm .

So after a tough start that has yielded three points, and a minus one goal difference, we’re clearly worse than last season ?

We look far from the real deal, and I’d love a billionaire owner to come in and lift us up to challenge for the title, but I don’t think that’s realistic.

Lambert and Lerner out, fair enough, who do we bring in ?

I still think we’ll finish between eight and fourteenth. Disappointing to where we have been in the past, much improved on bottom scraping, relegation escaping last season.

We’re more likely to go down this season than last ? Really ?

OohAhPaulMcGrath October 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm .

Well vaze for once I agree who do we bring in. If Lerner went we might get venky type owners. If lambert went then we’d get a curbishly or someone of that ilk. So we are stuck with being shit until Lerner decides to sell.

BWS October 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm .

Lambert and Lerner out, fair enough, who do we bring in ?

Not that old chestnut again? Well anybody that gives a f**k!
      Look at Kenwright at Everton worth around Β£33m and the way that clubs been run or Peter Coates at Stoke neither billionaires but they care.

This better the devil you know is wearing a little thin it’s a bit like an abused wife that stays with her old man and says ” but he loves me”.

OohAhPaulMcGrath October 24, 2013 at 12:30 am .

Ha ha that’s funny BWS. Agree though Lerner has to go for us to prosper again. He overstayed his welcome at the browns and run them I to the ground and is doing the same with us. There is no way we can get him out thou I say withdraw our support until he fucks off but to many sheep on here will have a nervous breakdown πŸ™‚

Vaze October 23, 2013 at 4:22 pm .

Three wins. Three points and you’d justify your post lol !

markdrapernumber8 October 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm .

Lol mate, but really how are we better footballing wise? We’ve gone backwards imo, lumping up the field far too much. We have spells of posession but nothing settling for long periods of the game. 2nd half against the pool is the best we’ve played this season, we need to bottle that somehow.

OohAhPaulMcGrath October 24, 2013 at 12:47 am .

Agree it’s either put everyone behind the ball and hope for the best or lump it up to krapjack and watch him stand there like a statue. Ffs dire shire