What is it with these modern day wimp players?

It’s an international break and I’m bored because we don’t have any proper footy to talk about.
Yes, England beat Bulgaria 4-0, but who really cares?
We all know we’ll get stuffed as soon as we meet any decent team.
It’s the way it is, as much as we’re supposed to have the “best” league in the world.

Whatever.

So then I’ve just been reading about Matt Targett, who’s suffered a hamstring injury, meaning he hasn’t really shown for us yet.

I’m not aiming ( I won’t say targetting) anything at him in particular, but it seems the injury wasn’t caused by a tackle or a cross, but a mere pass.

What’s going on here? How do you suffer a hamstring injury in just passing the ball?

I really don’t understand all this weight training stuff that modern players undergo, but I do remember having a conversation with a nose mate of mine, about 10 years ago, who pointed out the size of footballers upper legs.
The point being, that they were massive and overly so.

Is it the excessive training in the gym that causes these injuries, I wonder?

I only ask, because all I know is, that come rain or shine, if I fancied playing footy, I just played.
And never once got injured.

Ah, I just remembered.
I had to retrieve the ball from a roof once, meaning I had to jump down about 4 metres. (Ooh I’ve just remembered doing a similar accidental jump in the gardens in Witton Lane, too, where I thought I’d broken both legs, but that’s another story)
That one twinged my ankle a bit and in fairness, I was only about 14.
I think the pain lasted about a day.

But that wasn’t directly footy related.

When you’re in your twenties, you’re surely at your peak.
And yes, I appreciate you’re at the highest level.

But how the hell can you do yourself a major inury in just passing the ball?

There has to be something wrong somewhere.

Not the most stunning subject, but hey, I’m bored too and just wanted to write something.
It’s a polite way of saying that modern football players are just a bunch of fannies, in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    nath September 14, 2019 at 6:07 pm .

kevin friend fooked up again. man city defender caught the ball literally lol inside the box but no penalty. he will be getting massive pay rise for these decisions 🙂

Tom September 14, 2019 at 7:30 pm .

Whilst it’s a result that doesn’t suit the villa, I’m pleased Norwich saw that out and got them selves a few goals ahead. But! What the hell is going on with these refs? Clear as day hand ball by stones and the ref doesn’t even consider VAR.

Holte66 September 14, 2019 at 8:01 pm .

I always thought Tammy would get goals in this league. Such a shame we couldn’t hold onto him. One thing we are missing is a 20+ goals a season striker. Hopefully we won’t be rooted to the bottom 3 come January so we might be able to get a top striker in then.
    Does anyone on here think we can emulate what Norwich did today? Although our spend was massively more than theirs, our overhaul of the squad was more dramatic, so we are almost starting afresh in some areas of the team.
    Monday night is massive because West Ham at home is the kind of game we need to win. Against Everton, Villa Park was rocking and played a major part in our win. A repeat of that night, minus shite London biased refereeing and I think we can pick up 3 points.

Big Fat Ron September 14, 2019 at 11:43 pm .

Holte, from what I’ve seen, Norwich look far more fluent than we do. Far more comfortable at this level. I don’t if that’s because they’ve got better players or a better coach. Or both. Hopefully, it’s neither and we’ll click…

Big Fat Ron September 14, 2019 at 11:30 pm .

Lampard’s just explained why he switched to a back 3, wanting to be ‘adaptable.’ I suggested we should line-up like Wolves after the Palace defeat and impotent attack. Over to you, Dean Smith…

As for Tammy, sadly, he’s the ‘fox in the box’ poacher we were talking about all summer. We should’ve put 30-40 million on the table. Abramovic would’ve taken it. Now Tammy’s probably worth double that. Our window was good, but perhaps we just bottled it when it came to what really matters in the league – goals.

Holte66 September 15, 2019 at 8:29 am .

I’m surprised BFR that we paid £22m for a striker relatively unknown when like you say, could have paid another maybe £10m extra to buy Tammy who already knew our style of play. Whether we had the funds to buy both is uncertain but we have left ourselves weak up front. I suppose it’s possible that Tammy wouldn’t have left Chelsea regardless if that’s where his heart was set. Even so we are now heavily dependent on goals from our wingers and midfield without him.
    On a different note, I read Hourihane had an outing at LB for Ireland. Is this worth considering given his ability from set pieces?

Hitchens60 September 15, 2019 at 9:48 am .

I suspect Chelsea would not have sold Abraham, whatever the offer, for two reasons. First off the transfer ban means they had no opportunity to buy a striker and second Lampard is already seen as a manager that favours youth – and home grown youth at that.

Big Fat Ron September 15, 2019 at 7:30 pm .

Holte, you’ve just solved a conundrum! I’ve been thinking how we could line up, if Smith is brave enough to change formation. My only issue was our two wingbacks, Elmo and Gilbert, are both right-sided. But your point on Hourihane is a masterstroke. I believe we’ll have more success with 3 CBs, 4 in the middle and 3 proper forwards. Lampard was brave enough to change things and tried it yesterday. The result speaks for itself. Here is my suggested team:

Heaton

Mings, Engles, Hause (SOLID!)

Gilbert or Elmo (right), Luiz and McGinn (centre), and Hourihane (left)

Jack, El Ghazi, and Wesley up top with Jack given licence to link midfield with attack and under strict orders to stay in the attacking third.

I know Smith probably won’t do it, but this formation excites me. It gives perfect balance with the personnel we have. If offers more strength in defence, with the wingers able to drop back. You could even say to Hause to shuffle over to left back to go to a back 4 if Hourihane doesn’t fancy defending. Luiz and McGinn have Keane/Scholes levels of ‘box to box’ and tenacity. Guilbert, Elmo and Conor are all capable of putting dangerous crosses in the box (not like Taylor). Finally, putting El Ghazi and Jack right by Wesley’s side gives the opposition a fearsome combo of pace, skill, power and guile to contend with and Wesley quality players to combine with!

Excuse me while I take a bow. 😉

What do you think lads?

Over to you Deano! Happy for you to take the credit of this works! 😉

Big Fat Ron September 15, 2019 at 10:46 pm .

More staggeringly stupid examples from Arsenal today of why playing out from the back is a really bad idea. Dean Smith, please take note. West Ham will be ready for kamikaze defending. Please just boot the f***er clear! (preferably to a Villa man)

Big Fat Ron September 15, 2019 at 11:24 pm .

Just seen the City one too (missed it yesterday). More credence that playing out from the back is a mug’s game. Teams have wised up to it now. Ultimately, that’s lost them the game and Arsenal have also dropped 2 because of it. We can’t afford to give away points. Please, please, don’t play out tomorrow! Their attacking players will be ready!

badger123 September 15, 2019 at 10:52 pm .

Mick McCarthy said after that game that “Hourihane has a wand of a left foot, but won’t be playing LB again”.

In other words, he was abysmal

It isn’t going to happen under Smith either, as Conor isn’t particularly good as a holding mid, let alone a defender.
    I see the logic in him being able to cross etc, but defence has to be the priority in the Prem.

3 at the back might be an option when Targett finally comes in though. His defending isn’t supposed to be too clever, but he should at least have some clue and is supposed to be good attacking/crossing wise

Big Fat Ron September 15, 2019 at 11:01 pm .

I agree, which is why I’m suggesting left-mid, Badger. Definitely not left back. Like I said, when under pressure, you could still switch to a back 4 with Hause shuffling over to left-back and Guilbert or Elmo dropping back to right-back. Hourihane would be attacking left mid under my proposal, which is a good position for him. I think the suggestion gets all our best players into the team with the added bonus of an attacking threat on the left with Taylor omitted. And most importantly, support for Wesley. It worked for Lampard. He who dares…

Big Fat Ron September 15, 2019 at 11:03 pm .

Trezeguet’s suspension could be a blessing if Smith gets it right…

badger123 September 15, 2019 at 11:10 pm .

I guess it might work, but I see Conor as better in the middle, making runs.
    Exactly where Jack seems best too, imo.

If you’d suggested McGinn, I’d probably go with that, as like Milner, I reckon he could play anywhere. Indeed, I’m sure I read he played at LB in an article quite recently.

Big Fat Ron September 15, 2019 at 11:26 pm .

Conor and McGinn could alternate to keep ’em guessing. If McGinn’s getting no joy in the middle, swap with Conor, and vice-verse. Flexibility!

badger123 September 15, 2019 at 11:40 pm .

Hmm, that’s actually an interesting thought.
        If we don’t get anything tomorrow, I think Smith is going to have to start thinking about changing it up.

DSVilla September 16, 2019 at 4:00 pm .

I’m really nervous about tonight. West Ham are a decent team, and we need to get some more points quickly. I would be happy for us to get through the game with no gifted goals for them, and nicking 3 points however it’s done.

Big Fat Ron September 16, 2019 at 4:07 pm .

Me too, DS! I’m convinced that a change in formation would bear fruit and suit the personnel in our squad much more!