What is it with these modern day wimp players?

It’s an international break and I’m bored because we don’t have any proper footy to talk about.
Yes, England beat Bulgaria 4-0, but who really cares?
We all know we’ll get stuffed as soon as we meet any decent team.
It’s the way it is, as much as we’re supposed to have the “best” league in the world.

Whatever.

So then I’ve just been reading about Matt Targett, who’s suffered a hamstring injury, meaning he hasn’t really shown for us yet.

I’m not aiming ( I won’t say targetting) anything at him in particular, but it seems the injury wasn’t caused by a tackle or a cross, but a mere pass.

What’s going on here? How do you suffer a hamstring injury in just passing the ball?

I really don’t understand all this weight training stuff that modern players undergo, but I do remember having a conversation with a nose mate of mine, about 10 years ago, who pointed out the size of footballers upper legs.
The point being, that they were massive and overly so.

Is it the excessive training in the gym that causes these injuries, I wonder?

I only ask, because all I know is, that come rain or shine, if I fancied playing footy, I just played.
And never once got injured.

Ah, I just remembered.
I had to retrieve the ball from a roof once, meaning I had to jump down about 4 metres. (Ooh I’ve just remembered doing a similar accidental jump in the gardens in Witton Lane, too, where I thought I’d broken both legs, but that’s another story)
That one twinged my ankle a bit and in fairness, I was only about 14.
I think the pain lasted about a day.

But that wasn’t directly footy related.

When you’re in your twenties, you’re surely at your peak.
And yes, I appreciate you’re at the highest level.

But how the hell can you do yourself a major inury in just passing the ball?

There has to be something wrong somewhere.

Not the most stunning subject, but hey, I’m bored too and just wanted to write something.
It’s a polite way of saying that modern football players are just a bunch of fannies, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Bill Pearson September 8, 2019 at 8:22 am .

I totally totally agree Badger, I played football till 37 years of age, I’ve been kicked in the foot, shin, and broke a shoulder, in my time of playing, I don’t get this cannot play because I’ve a leg strain I’ve twisted my ankle or got a bad cold. I honestly believe they are treated like big girls blouse into days games, they say you have to be 100% fit , me it was I wan’t to get on that football pitch next week to play football. As for the England game we will get hammered when we play other big name countries that’s for sure.

Holte66 September 8, 2019 at 9:25 pm .

Totally bored of international breaks too. While I enjoy watching tournaments in the summer months, I absolutely detest these annoying qualifiers. There seems to be almost as many England games as club games these days. Just like European club competitions, the powers that be are sacrificing the domestic competitions to enable as many games for countries / clubs to be introduced. After all it’s important that Gibraltar get a chance to qualify! Give me strength 😒
    Ps. Please pick me up on emojis. Not sure 🤔 which ones to use in the correct context.👀

Holte66 September 10, 2019 at 6:08 pm .

So Kodja has picked up an “innocuous” head injury. Read into that what you will 🤕 Also Targett won’t be available for West Ham game but Marvelous Nakamba is pushing for a start and good to see Chester back in full training.

badger123 September 10, 2019 at 10:55 pm .

Hmm, after his last dodgy injury too?
      Gone on strike, sounds more likely, to me.
      But that’s a total guess.

Tom September 10, 2019 at 7:09 pm .

In one hand this is the highest level of football and you cannot have a striker worth 50mil + going head to head with a fully fit premier league centre half. At this level, and even several divisions lower the finest margins win and loose you games. Those game ultimately being the difference between relegation and £180+.
    Lower leagues take risks and it’s almost part of the package to play with a broken nose or shoulder. To explain it clearly and in my opinion, Money would most like be the biggest factor.
    I believe massively in conditioning to some extent. Squats, lunges, leg presses are great for building speed and power. On the flip side I seem to remember a certain Agbonlahor bulking up so much to the point he actually lost his trade mark pace.
    Everything in moderation I guess….

Tom September 10, 2019 at 7:11 pm .

I would also add that are players bulking and conditioning for 100% football performance reasons or vanity

badger123 September 10, 2019 at 10:52 pm .

I’d mostly agree with you Tom.
        It’s all well and good meeting the ideal performance stats, on paper, but your Gabby point is valid and shows how it can work against you.

Yes, it’s money, but I wonder if going for 100% all the time, is the best route?
        I’d suggest a good player who is available most of the season is better than one who is brilliant, available for just a few games.

In the meantime, England are abysmal at the back.
        God help us when we face a decent side.

Yes, Horseface may be experimenting, but god, we look dodgy and having a good attack won’t make much difference.

I’m actually quite happy Mings didn’t start in that back line, as I suspect he needs even better defenders/ a more disciplined set up around him to show his qualities at international level.
        What I mean is, he’s prone to too much looking around and getting caught out and probably would have given one away a la Keene too.

I’m currently more interested in Engels, fwiw, as he was actually rated in the top 50 or so in the whole of Europe on some statistic site over the last six months and is on the radar to start for Belgium, a proper team.

If he gets that start sometime this season, he’ll instantly be worth double the £9 mill we paid for him.

Originallondonlion September 11, 2019 at 9:40 am .

Yes Badger, Mings perfromance at Wembley – watching from the Recaro seats – will have done his chances of a centreback role with England no harm at all. Unlike Keane who defends like Smalling and Jones.

Originallondonlion September 11, 2019 at 9:42 am .

Correction St Mary’s not wembley

Big Fat Ron September 11, 2019 at 10:07 pm .

Fair points. I think Chillwell, Maguire, Mings, and Alexander-Arnholt would be a pretty decent defence. Mings reminds me of Tony Adams in the way he’s constantly communicating and barking order. Yes, he needs to cut out the dodgy moments, but if you play out from the back, that’s inevitable, hence my earlier post about it being a seriously dodgy tactic! Both Maguire and Mings are propoer ‘warrior’ defenders while the other two are the epitome of the modern attacking full back. You can always add another CB to reinforce it, but nor keen on Keane (see what I did there) and Stones is probably one of the most overrated players in history…in which case, I’d probably add the lad from Liverpool, who’s name escapes me…

badger123 September 12, 2019 at 11:31 pm .

Apologies BFR, I’ve only just spotted your point about Mings being similar to Adams. I really need to read more closely.

I think you’re spot on there.
                Mings leads the line really well and does indeed seem to have the “gob” that all top defenders have.
                The big difference is that Adams always looked very awkward, playing out, to my mind, whereas it seems much more natural to Mings.

I’m not quite in “raving” mode about Mings just yet, as to my mind, he still has a bit to learn.
                But he commands the side at the back and does have the makings of an excellent CB.

Long overdue, considering some of the superb central defenders we’ve had over the years..

I ‘d love it if we can get back to the equivalent of some of our classic pairings at the back, over the years.
                I’d go so far as to saying that it was what we were known for.

Bill Pearson September 11, 2019 at 11:31 am .

I knew Southgate would get it wrong , his stupid not looking at Championship players would come back and bite him. 80 million McGuire was not a player to marshal a defence and Rice words fail me ,4 times he fluft his passes, but I have to say nothing wrong with the forwards, we will get hammered playing othe nations that’s for sure.

nath September 14, 2019 at 1:24 pm .

here here bill

southgate is making a stupid mistake not considering players, who might not play in the premiership. top championship isn’t much fall in standards than say bottom eight of premiership.

also agree with the rice comment, what is needed by a protector of defence ?? maybe he offers some protection lol rice was totally crap. a holding midfielder shouldn’t be giving the ball away as he did all game,

mings is a ball player and a proper old central defender. somebody who relishes a tackle, why was he not selected, when looking at england they were short of tacklers. our back line can all pass the ball, nice and pretty. but when we was without the ball. we were lost, no organisation / no steel. that will mean if we play a half decent opponent we will concede a hat full

that brings me to this qualification all the top countries have basically got byes into the major tournaments. why dont they do away with meaningless qualifiers. have the lower teams playoff to make the big end of season tournaments. instead of ripping of the customers of the beautiful game.

Bill Pearson September 14, 2019 at 4:57 pm .

Abraham 4 goals albeit 1 own goal.

Bum Bum September 11, 2019 at 11:41 pm .

Lol! Spot on!

Hitchens60 September 12, 2019 at 7:16 am .

Going back to the original topic as, mercifully, enjoying life has kept me from watching either of the England games 🙂

On the flip side of the Agbonlahor point (with which I do agree), hasn’t it been generally recognised that JG bulking up has benefited his all round game?

It does appear that there are more ACL injuries these days than I can remember which may, ironically, be a symptom of a higher level of fitness coupled with a faster game than of yore.

Good job the surgeons have similarly developed their skills

Hitchens60 September 13, 2019 at 11:43 pm .

Turning thoughts to Monday and with one eye on the subject matter of this string, I see that Kodjia is out for a further 4 or 5 weeks with a fractured cheekbone. Is he the new Villa sicknote?

So now we are down to Wesley and Davis as our number 9’s and with Trezeguet out it’s looking a bit sparse up front.

Hitchens60 September 14, 2019 at 1:09 pm .

Not wishing to be overly pessimistic but would you believe we have Mike Dean as ref on Monday?

nath September 14, 2019 at 1:28 pm .

just hoping for a fair referee, somebody who hasn’t made the decisions before the game has started.

Big Fat Ron September 14, 2019 at 1:27 pm .

Let’s see how much favour the cockneys get over us this time…