Villa – Wolves; We can win this!

I know many fans won’t be too upset if we get beaten tonight and I fully understand that by far the main priority is to survive in the Premier league.
I suspect the club hierarchy and Dean Smith will also be thinking the same and it’s again understood, as it’s where the money is.

And while I know we’re going to change things up and rotate the squad, I hope we still try and put a decent side out. We do of course have very decent back up, but what I mean is, I don’t want to see us put too many kids in.

Steer will replace Heaton, Taylor replaces Targett (maybe? Targett’s not played much till now), Hause comes in, probably with Konsa and Davis will also start (this would be a good game to try him with Wesley, in my opinion, but I don’t think it will happen).

It’s what’s going to happen in midfield that intrigues me.
Grealish is out, so can we afford to rest McGinn too, given that the pair are the mainstay of the midfield?
Hourihane will obviously come in for Grealish, but does Lansbury offer enough to replace McGinn?
They’re different players, I know, but I’m just a bit concerned that we’d miss McGinn’s energy and drive.
That said, the odds are that McGinn will be injured or suspended at some stage, so perhaps it’s a good time to experiment.

Oh Jota’s out too, so that’s another option less.

Whatever, while it won’t be the end of the world if we do get knocked out, there will be another full house at Villa park and I just think it would be a shame.
Smith has a balancing game to play, in trying to get through and resting players, but I hope he doesn’t concede this game too easily, as seeing as Wolves will rotate too, this is emminently winnable.

It’s hard to predict this one, as we don’t know what teams we’re going to see, but a wild guess says we’ll win it 2-1.

I believe the game is being shown on ESPN1 in the US, so hopefully streams will be available.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Bum Bum October 30, 2019 at 9:43 pm .

So into the last 4!!!!!!

Bum Bum October 30, 2019 at 9:45 pm .

Sorry last 8…

Big Fat Ron October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm .

Oxford in next round PLEASE!

Big Fat Ron October 30, 2019 at 9:47 pm .

Or Colchester!

Big Fat Ron October 31, 2019 at 9:18 am .

…or Liverpool. Same difference. 🤔

Holte66 October 30, 2019 at 9:48 pm .

Uninspiring performance against mainly kids. Can’t really say anyone knocked on the first team door tonight. Plus Davis injured again is frustrating. Looks like we will only have Wesley and Kodja as strikers for the weekend. Hope Grealish will be fit. Tonight showed how we miss his ability to break teams down.

Bum Bum October 30, 2019 at 9:53 pm .

Tammy is behaving like a right twat tonight. Maybe being back at Chelski is having a bad effect on him…

Sidforever October 30, 2019 at 10:46 pm .

I am very happy with the win tonight. My only disappointment was the attendance. I live down south and phoned Villa Park to buy a ticket for this match, the day before they went in general release. However I was informed that it was a sell out. Why err there on 34,000 there tonight. We’re Wolves given way in excess allocation that they did not use. I would appreciate if anyone can share the answer with me.

badger123 October 31, 2019 at 6:59 pm .

Sid, it was all about them being entitled to 15% (I think) of the total capacity.
      That meant the Witton lane wasn’t big enough and we had to give them the North stand.
      I think they were entitled to 6,000 odd, whereas from memory, the North stand can hold 8000 ish. So there’s a couple of thousand gone.
      Then there were quite a few seats that were empty, from what I could see, probably because a lot of ST holders just didn’t fancy it on a freezing night.

Theoretically, it was a sell-out but you might possibly have got a decent deal via the ticket exchange thing.
      Maybe something to bear in mind for next time?

Sidforever November 1, 2019 at 8:19 am .

Hi Badger

Thank you for the explanation and the ticket exchange. What are the odds I get a ticket for the Liverpool game and we get a bye?

Hitchens60 October 31, 2019 at 1:20 pm .

I read that EFL are in talks with Liverpool about switching the date of the QF so they can play in the WCC Final in Qatar.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t there two teams in the QF – so why aren’t the EFL in talks with both – or are they just going to reschedule to suit Liverpool without consulting us?

Personally I don’t think it should rescheduled – Liverpool have a decision to make and there is precedent with Manure withdrawing from the FA Cup so they could play in the same competition.