Villa v Leeds Preview

Tonight sees a massive game between ourselves and Leeds Utd. With a near full house expected the atmosphere should be electric under the lights.

Under Steve Bruce and to a slightly lesser extent RDM Villa Park is finally becoming a bit of a fortress for us. In fact we have won our last 5 home games which is unheard off for us. But let’s get things into perspective those games were against very poor opposition and they still managed to outplay us for long periods despite us eventually winning. On a positive note the win is all that matters and you could argue that under Bruce we are learning the dark art of winning ugly.

Tonight however, I think we will be found out. Leeds are on a roll themselves and despite both teams playing poorly at Elland Road they still turned us over 2.0 so they have learned how to win ugly themselves. Of course tonight Baker is back and hopefully Gollini will be on the bench. But despite us winning games I still have doubts about Bruce and the team in general especially in midfield where we are very weak.

Because of the above I’m afraid we will struggle tonight and even though I can see us putting in a decent performance I’d be amazed if we got anything more than a point which effectively is as bad as losing as we can still lose ground on the top 6. I’m torn between a draw and a Leeds win but think they will just shade it. Villa 1 Leeds 2 UTV

Badger123 December 29, 2016 at 9:31 pm .

kodjia YEEEEESSSSS!

Podge December 29, 2016 at 9:31 pm .

Kodija the greedy fucker

Badger123 December 29, 2016 at 9:33 pm .

Jeez, how did he miss that?
    The gods look down on Bruce with favour.
    Unbelievable.

Bill Pearson December 29, 2016 at 9:42 pm .

Well what you think, hard game when we had no midfielders,

pat57 December 29, 2016 at 9:44 pm .

1-1 and more than a fair result.

Thing that sticks in my craw is yet another goalkeeping howler against a Leeds header. Bunn should pack it in if he can’t save a header from ten yards out on the ground. He was looking at the Leeds player coming in and not the ball.

Please SB we need a goalkeeper!

Having said that we could have scored 3 in the last ten minutes.

Anyway we got more than we deserved and out record is still safe so I’m not complaining.

OriginalLondonLion December 29, 2016 at 9:45 pm .

They radio commentators were breathless by the end, never mind the players. A good come-back and with the right additions we might close in on the playoffs. I said Leeds were the big test and so it proved, they were better than us tonight but we deserved the point. The crowd is becoming the 12th man again.

pat57 December 29, 2016 at 9:57 pm .

Have to admit that SB has definitely brought us something we didn’t have before – resiliency. Last season we’d have collapsed after being a goal down.

On reflection a good point and up to 9th (temporariliy).

GK, RB and two mids please Stevie!

Hitchens60 December 29, 2016 at 10:06 pm .

Good first half but lost cohesion after the break and then lost shape after the goal and became over anxious. Ayew can go – offered nothing at all.

I thought Westwood played pretty well tonight – I’ve put my armour on 🙂

pat57 December 30, 2016 at 12:47 am .

H60 Agree with you about Ayew and Westwood – his run back to nick the ball from the Leeds attacker’s toe was brilliant whereas I can’t think of a single thing that Ayew did. We were much better when Adomah came on.

SB said after the game –
      “We’re still unbeaten at home but we’ve got a lot of work to do, I’m under no illusions about that. We’re still a long way away from where we need to be.”

Nice to see that he has no illusions then. Unlike Oohaah though I don’t think we need 4 ‘brilliant’ signings we just need 4 players who are a bit better than what we’ve got. After all with a bit of luck and sharper finishing it’s entirely possible we could have won 4-1 tonight.

UTV