Villa to spend in January? Friday footy coming back, Keane again and match thread

Where to begin?

Well, there’s an interesting article from $ky, who quote Tom Fox in suggesting that Randy Lerner might spend some dough in the winter window.
The headline is great at first glance;

“Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner gives the go-ahead for January transfers.”

So what does that mean, apart from the opposite that we won’t be bringing anyone in?
Hmm.
I want to have a closer look at this, as to me, the article is really poorly written, because it doesn’t emphasise who we’re talking about.
Have a read for yourself;

Villa’s chairman is understood to have found a new ambition for Paul Lambert’s side, despite putting the club up for sale over the summer.

Paddy Reilly has been drafted in as the club’s director of recruitment with the full backing of Lerner, who is willing to provide cash with long-term goals in mind.

“Randy is very realistic,” said Fox. “If there’s someone in January we think can benefit us in the short term and the long term, then the owner is prepared to fund that.

“If there’s someone in January we think can benefit us in the short term and the long term, then the owner is prepared to fund that.”

Tom Fox

“I think he’s much more confident in the process around identifying who that player would be and how that player would fit into the long term planning of the squad.

“The club had some success early in Randy’s time here but actually it was playing in a bit of a false position because the league was already changing back then.

“Randy was spending money then but what he didn’t have then was a line of sight as to ‘if I spend that money how is it going to pay back in the future?’

“We didn’t really have the set-up to really help us capture our commercial value at the time. That’s different now.”

Now while that briefly mentions Paddy Reilly, I get the impression we’re talking about Lerner.
If that’s the case, I’m wondering who’s actually making the decisions about which players we bring in.
You have to at least wonder, given that somewhat surprisingly, the manager isn’t mentioned at all.

Again, Hmm.
While the article mentions short term and long term benefit, I read it as concentrating on the long term.
IE, cheap and young.

Feel free to discuss that one.
The full article is here

Next up is that I’ve just heard on the Beeb news that Friday night footy is coming back from 2016-17.
Which will only mean less games on a Saturday avvy.
BOOOOOOOOOO!

There’s another reference to Roy Keane being toxic

Which suggests there’s no smoke without fire, given some previous articles and regardless of the BS that Lambert came out with.

And then, the important stuff.
The game against the Baggies tomorrow.

I’m struggling to see how I can get to watch the game at the moment.
Work has gone ballistic, so I’d appreciate it if you guys can keep me updated with line-ups etc.

Of course, if I can wangle a way out, I will do.

In the meantime, I fancy a draw.
1-1.

UTV!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OriginalLondonLion December 13, 2014 at 12:16 am .

Probably means Lerner is prepared to see Vlaar and Delph leave. Meanwhile Bent has brought the expected transformation in Brighton’s fortunes, before they were letting too many in, now they have stopped scoring. So he is another wished for exit.

Who the hell is Paddy Reilly anyway? Can’t Fox and Lambert negotiate transfer deal between them?

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 1:45 am .

Is this why money is available as we will sell Vlar Benteke etc so to appease fans. No way lerner would offer money unless a few were going.

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 12:30 am .

Fox confirmed they were talking to Vlaar and Delph, so I doubt Lerner’s prepared to let them go, unless a larger fee than expected comes in. Especially for Delph anyways.

Be interesting to see who we go for. Paddy Reilly’s a recruiter, who once worked for Liverpool I believe. Fox is looking for the complete business side, especially if he believes we can get back into Europe in 3 years, Fox has to be huge in instrumenting a ton of funds. That’s his job and he admits that, Reilly’s on the other side, transfers. Most likely some kind of head scout type, possibly going the director of football route where Lambert tells them what kind of player he wants and Reilly does the business in getting that?

OriginalLondonLion December 13, 2014 at 12:31 am .

That Mail article about Roy Keane pulls no punches. However the key facts are the players and reasons that Keane fell out with. Gabby over tactics – something that Gabby is bad at. N’zog of his casual attitude to training, so similar to his on pitch performance. Screaming with frustration at Delph, strange I do that too.

I liked the idea that the Villa players “don’t get paid enough to put on a performance that meets Keane’s exacting standards”. Is that what it is? Who would have guessed – that all we need do is give them a cheque for £200K per week and they’d all be Ronaldo?

Seems to me the Villa stars got a reality check instead, and did not like it.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 1:44 am .

Agree Gabby talking to Lamberk about tactics! Really dumb and dumber don’t even know what a tactic is and Gabby probably thinks it’s another word for tictac! The bit they don’t get paid enough is a joke the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. Iv no time for Keane but he does call it as he sees it and that’s what gets players backs up they don’t like the truth.

DSVilla December 13, 2014 at 11:22 am .

OLL whilst I am always sceptical about newspaper reports this stuff about Keane does seem to ring true. The statement regarding players not getting paid enough to be as dedicated as Keane expects just confirms what most of us feel. That’s why we feel so alienated from modern day football. I don’t like Keane but I can’t criticise him for having high standards. Some players clearly have the passion and pride to react well to that and buy into it. Others are more interested in the money they earn and the fun they can have with it. I wish the whole team was as dedicated as Keane. We would be in a much better place, and guess what? They would all be earning more money, either at Villa or a top club.

Since he has left the team has done pretty well, so maybe some of Keane’s passion has been absorbed.

Bill Pearson December 13, 2014 at 12:01 pm .

DSVilla you took them words out of my mouth, them every same thoughts, I don’t like Keane but had a job to do, Abonglahor and it don’t bother me what others say, has got lazy,yes has speed but nothing more now, If Keane picked up on that and they had words? Abonglahor is old school in that team and to most in the team has respect, a boss would’nt, they don’t pay them enough, sorry If I seem to be on Gabbys back well he did them very same tacktics 4 years ago, got lazy. lambert is weak in managment you can see this the way he works, Keane was in to bolster Villa in grafting now We have players calling them shots now. Todays game 1-1 utv.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm .

That’s y lamberks still here because players can do what they like

#HELENIUS December 13, 2014 at 7:18 am .

Who knows what the transfer piece means…..we’ll find out next month. But I can see a great month ahead for oohaah and clan as I don’t think much will be spent.
    Let the whinging commence

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 12:23 pm .

Agree there be a couple of shit players like Dawkins ffs

GIDDYVILLAN December 13, 2014 at 8:34 am .

1-3 VILLA I’m not even thinking about January yet Christmas footy schedule to get through first,points on the board starting today I’ve got an upbeat feeling about today & haven’t yet touched a drop.stick it up the baggies hopefully happy day Monday at work.UTV SOTB 😀

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 12:24 pm .

I fancy 3.1 to us as well giddy

GIDDYVILLAN December 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm .

Great minds think alike. 😀

nath December 13, 2014 at 10:00 am .

mr fox has finally spoken, maybe iam easily led, or gullible but i see in them words many positives, our club has been ticking over now for far too long, without direction. things were getting worse by the day.

now somebody has come out and spoken of the direction, we can get behind the club or not, two points he made for me, one being the club have shaken up the youth and scouting policy, which was needed. other was lerner seems to be behind this crusade or venture, the way he came out, wanting to sell was all wrong, to start with. was unprofessional. if he allows mr fox to make the decisions,if he just signs the cheques, iam sure with this battle plan we can slowly regain our dignity and move upwards.

for now the squads way to thin, like i said a few weeks ago, our squad needs adding to. not with anything. but with players that would improve the competition. delph and vlaar will both be leaving, nothing will stop that now, question is do you allow them to stay until summer, or try to get a fee. i think both will stay until summer

oh and merry christmas

DSVilla December 13, 2014 at 11:27 am .

Fox no doubt believes what he is saying. Fact is most fans have had enough after seasons of ineptitude, so it’s debatable whether they will show the patience needed to see this plan through. Only results and playing style will win them over. Nath is right that the squad is too thin, and also that we need to be buying players at a level that will be first picks for the team, with some of the existing players becoming squad players, rather than just numbers to make up the squad.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 12:25 pm .

But Lamberk is still here and he is shit. If we had Chelsea’s squad he would still struggle lamberk out

Simon James Mills December 13, 2014 at 2:42 pm .

I’ve had enough of lambert puts Richardson and nzog in team and leaves out greenish bacuna etc and Robinson not even on the bench what was the point in calling him back again

gerry December 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm .

Well put Nath. It is all about hope and although the report is a little cryptic I can think how I would feel if it was the normal SSDD that we have come to expect. Happy Christmas to you and “choke” even the whingers.

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm .

Didn’t take long for N’Zogbia to as per usual lose the ball and West Bromich nearly score because of it… How is he still playing?

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm .

Richardson gets himself sent off… Another brilliant move to even play him.

Simon James Mills December 13, 2014 at 3:25 pm .

See what I mean lambert out

Bill Pearson December 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm .

Well look at it this way he won’t be playing next week. Will We win this? No.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm .

Have faith we can still nick this 1.0. Suits us in a way as we can play as normal park the bus and hit them on the break. Still think we will get a result

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm .

Them being much like us being reliant on a natural striker to score goals (Berahino/Benteke) and their manager not willing to start their goal scorer. I do think we have a chance still.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm .

Agree WBA don’t create much anyway why they’ve got berahino on bench is a mystery to me. Good for us though. I still think 1.0 to us

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 3:41 pm .

It’s possible. Their CB’s are slow and Wisdom is an awful defender. Gabby can definitely take them on for pace and draw a few more fouls, and Benteke’s far better than their defenders are so could definitely create space.

If only N’Zogbia wasn’t playing and making us play with 9.

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 3:45 pm .

Not too mention their fans are often turning on their team/manager. So that could well work in Villa’s favor.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 3:56 pm .

Agree the pressure is on them to win it now and if they don’t score in first 20 mins or so the crowd will be on their back.

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 4:09 pm .

Delph on for N’Zogbia. Should’ve been Bacuna… Oh wait, not even on the bench, yet Herd who shouldn’t be in the squad at all is still there.

Bill Pearson December 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm .

That’s given me hope, go back to a draw.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 4:21 pm .

Should be 0.0 now or 1.0 to us

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 4:22 pm .

One of their chances will eventually go in. Usually we get destroyed by 10 man teams, we’re getting destroyed as a 10 man team.

Bill Pearson December 13, 2014 at 4:27 pm .

22minutes+ injury to go, come on Villa.

Andrew December 13, 2014 at 4:29 pm .

And there it is and not surprising.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm .

Fucking Gardner as well