Villa – Man Utd; It’s now or never, nearly

It seems strange having a game on Thursday and indeed, I nearly forgot about it.

I think overall, there’s not really much to say, is there?
We need points and while losing tomorrow won’t mean guaranteed relegation in itself, you don’t need me to tell you that if we don’t get some sharpish, we’re simply running out of games.

I haven’t seen any of Man Utd’s games since project restart, but a friend of mine watched one and said they looked very impressive.
Which doesn’t bode well, does it?

Add in our horrendous record against them (something that brings me the nearest to hating another club as it gets) and things look even worse.

I think if this were a normal home game, with the fans’ support, I’d be very confident of at least getting something out of this game.
Even so, I’m reasonably confident that we might get a point in an empty Villa Park.
I don’t think I can go as far as predicting that we’ll win it, but if we can display a performance similar to the Liverpool one, we at least have a chance.
I certainly don’t think we’ll be steamrollered, put it that way.

The trouble is, it’s difficult to see where the goals will come from.
Our setpieces aren’t very good and we attack with far too little pace.

It’ll be interesting to see how Dean Smith sets up for this one.
Will he try and contain Utd, maybe with the hope of getting a point, with him thinking that we probably won’t get anything against Arsenal, but Palace, Everton and much more winnable?
I suspect he will and expect to see a very similar games as we saw against Liverpool.
The thought of us going defensive at VP doesn’t appeal, but it is probably the most logical approach.
As much as I’d like to see us really take it to Utd, I just don’t see it happening.

So basically we’re probably going to need some luck and I honestly struggle to remember the last time we had some of that, certainly in a good sense.

I haven’t heard any squad news lately, but am assuming Targett is still out.
Not that it matters much, as I doubt we’ll see many changes, if any at all.
Smith really doesn’t have much to choose from does he?

I’m going to go for a 1-1 result, in the hope that we actually get a setpiece right for once.

Page 6 of 8 1 4 5 6 7 8
    badger123 July 9, 2020 at 9:51 pm .

Yep, turned it off and won’t be writing a post tonight, at least.

nath July 9, 2020 at 10:00 pm .

don’t understand why they are allowing 5 subs now. might as well not play the games and just hand the better squads the points, that penalty totally CHANGED this game, no doubts about it. when your down at the bottom if you go a goal down your heads drop. but you score first or you are level you always in the game.

Gerry Kiddy July 9, 2020 at 10:02 pm .

Hard to believe but Jack Grealish is playing for european football next season. So sad.

Bill Pearson.. July 9, 2020 at 10:04 pm .

Wife told me to turn it off but I’m a sucker for punishment. I been studying how we don’t find space for each others, Grealish as been like a donkey tonight ,just been said he’s playing to wide and deep, also he hasn’t done himself a favour tonight with his effort. Sorry but had enough and off to bed ..

nath July 9, 2020 at 10:09 pm .

i am continued to watch even thou iam sulking through it my partner told me to grow up and stop moaning lol

nath July 9, 2020 at 10:12 pm .

well glad that is over big thanks to the ref for wrecking that game like utd needed the helping hand. oh well onto the next defeat i mean game

beamo July 9, 2020 at 10:15 pm .

Sick to death of the Smith apologists. The VAR decision was a joke but West Ham had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Chelsea last week and fell behind a minute later yet they battled back to win.
    Where was the fight and the desire. 10 games without a win – its utterly embarrassing. Smith needs to go, Suso needs to go.
    Where also are the leaders on the pitch – nowhere to be seen. Sick of it all once again – I feel as numb about Villa as I did when we last went down. Gutless

Holte66 July 9, 2020 at 10:26 pm .

I said previously that we shouldn’t get rid of Smith till end of season but I’ve changed my mind. In fact I would f**k the lot of them off and put whoever runs the ladies team in charge. No leadership on or off the pitch. I hope Grealish has signed his pre contract agreement because he has screwed his chances with his recent form and attitude. McGinn has been half the player he was last season. Mings is proving to be a costly mistake too. Can’t find any positives except for Luiz.

Holte66 July 9, 2020 at 10:18 pm .

Watched to the end as usual. Don’t know why I do it. What do our owners think? It would be nice to hear from them. Surely they can’t find this shower of shite acceptable.

Tekkers48 July 9, 2020 at 10:21 pm .

We are down. We will be lucky to get a goal in the next four games never mind a point. I’ve finally accepted it. There is no chance of survival now. Palace will finish us off and that will be that. Championship club at best is what we are. The new owners will sell up once the dust settles and they realise that they have just thrown good money after bad. We will never keep hold of our better players now or in the future. Wolves got it right at the right time and we will always be playing catchup for a generation. We might come straight back up but will struggle to attract players to keep us up.

nath July 9, 2020 at 10:27 pm .

just cause i think penalty was wrongly given hardly warrants me being a smith apologists or sympathiser. i feel cheated having the game ruined by a silly decision that was never a pen in a million years. but did that ruin the game for sure it did no doubts about it. once that goal went in. villa heads dropped and utd heads all got into the game.

Roy Bracy July 9, 2020 at 10:41 pm .

Here’s a debate now that villa are in the championship. Do we get rid of Smith ect now and if so who do we get in?or do we stick with Smith but get rid Terry and suso and maybe get Atkinson or Wenger in as director of football and maybe pulis in to help Smith with premier League experience.?