Villa – Man Utd; It’s now or never, nearly

It seems strange having a game on Thursday and indeed, I nearly forgot about it.

I think overall, there’s not really much to say, is there?
We need points and while losing tomorrow won’t mean guaranteed relegation in itself, you don’t need me to tell you that if we don’t get some sharpish, we’re simply running out of games.

I haven’t seen any of Man Utd’s games since project restart, but a friend of mine watched one and said they looked very impressive.
Which doesn’t bode well, does it?

Add in our horrendous record against them (something that brings me the nearest to hating another club as it gets) and things look even worse.

I think if this were a normal home game, with the fans’ support, I’d be very confident of at least getting something out of this game.
Even so, I’m reasonably confident that we might get a point in an empty Villa Park.
I don’t think I can go as far as predicting that we’ll win it, but if we can display a performance similar to the Liverpool one, we at least have a chance.
I certainly don’t think we’ll be steamrollered, put it that way.

The trouble is, it’s difficult to see where the goals will come from.
Our setpieces aren’t very good and we attack with far too little pace.

It’ll be interesting to see how Dean Smith sets up for this one.
Will he try and contain Utd, maybe with the hope of getting a point, with him thinking that we probably won’t get anything against Arsenal, but Palace, Everton and much more winnable?
I suspect he will and expect to see a very similar games as we saw against Liverpool.
The thought of us going defensive at VP doesn’t appeal, but it is probably the most logical approach.
As much as I’d like to see us really take it to Utd, I just don’t see it happening.

So basically we’re probably going to need some luck and I honestly struggle to remember the last time we had some of that, certainly in a good sense.

I haven’t heard any squad news lately, but am assuming Targett is still out.
Not that it matters much, as I doubt we’ll see many changes, if any at all.
Smith really doesn’t have much to choose from does he?

I’m going to go for a 1-1 result, in the hope that we actually get a setpiece right for once.

Page 5 of 8 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Roy Bracy July 9, 2020 at 9:19 pm .

Game lost with the penalty,how the hell was that a pen I’ll never know I think Konsa was actually the one that was fouled!!!!if that is not given villa are well in the game.
    So it’s the championship next year the owners will be happy they get 4extra home games more money through turnstiles. But in one way a more honest league not run by 6teams and TV and officials. Premier League an utter disgrace 😬😬😬💥

Tekkers48 July 9, 2020 at 9:22 pm .

Heads must roll at the end of the season. With the investment our owners have made at start of the season we should have at least expected to be competitive. We would have been better keeping the money in the bank and blooding a squad of youth players to have them ready for championship football. Now we will be starting all over again. And smiths job along with the coaches is to improve the players at their disposal . I have seen no improvements other than Douglas Luis.

badger123 July 9, 2020 at 9:30 pm .

Which youth players are they then, Tekkers?

I’m sorry mate, but regardless of the hype you hear from the Villa, our kids just aren’t good enough.
      Purslow did at least get that part right.
      Our academy is utter rubbish, when it comes to producing players who are actually good enough to play at the top level.

Tekkers48 July 9, 2020 at 9:39 pm .

I know they are Badger. But they could only be one place lower in the league than we are now. My point is more we would have been better just going through the motions this season, picking up premier league money and then build from position of strength in championship. Watch what Norwich do next season.

badger123 July 9, 2020 at 9:46 pm .

That’s not allowed Tekkers.
          We’re the Villa and have to be seen to be pushing on.

And it’s gone tits up again.

I don’t see Norwich doing much tbh.

Holte66 July 9, 2020 at 9:37 pm .

Smith, O’Kelly, Terry and Suso out! I’ve had enough of all of them.

Bill Pearson.. July 9, 2020 at 9:29 pm .

I suggest we get players with a pair of Bollocks, if anyone’s walking the dog
    tonight have a look in the Bham canals, I might be in there. Bloody Villa shite.

Mark July 9, 2020 at 9:31 pm .

As soon as I saw Jon Moss was referee,any tiny glimmer of hope I had totally disappeared.
    However, Trezeguet, who is slower than my 86 year old Dad, should have put us up one -nil before the water break.
    Taylor is worse than useless, Mings has become Billy big bollocks since being called up for England.He is far too casual and complacent and has cost us countless times this season.
    Sky TV have all but signed Grealish off to United or City already but, to be fair, I have lost any faith in him.As a leader, he is found wanting and slows the game down. In short, he offers absolutely nothing, just like the whole team.
    What annoys me the most though is that this will be 2 points out of 18, 4 points from safety, which could, and probably will be 7 points by the time we play Palace on Sunday.
    Despite this, Smith doesn’t even consider anything different.
    Greenwood, Rashford, James of United, Jones of Liverpool, Foden of Man.City.All youngsters given a chance by their clubs. Yet we have paid 4 million or so for Louie Barry who doesn’t even make the bench.
    Common sense tells you that, after 6 games, it ain’t working…..SO BLOODY CHANGE IT AND AT LEAST TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT SMITH !!!!!!!

Roy Bracy July 9, 2020 at 9:33 pm .

Hi

Roy Bracy July 9, 2020 at 9:37 pm .

Anyone know where the extra 5min came from in the first half?and now 3-0 ref ruined this match b/s
    And what’s the point of bringing nakama on!!!!! cricket score coming up

Hitchens60 July 9, 2020 at 9:46 pm .

Ferguson has a direct line to the ref from his seat in VAR.

nath July 9, 2020 at 9:39 pm .

3 nil now but this was all down to that b/s penalty, they were given the game by that excellent decision by tosser i mean moss. should it have been 4 one scratched off for debatable offline progba

now the commentary saying our early good work has gone.lmao yeah when your playing the referee and var and the utd players what is the point. being a goal down to utd is mission impossible.

Holte66 July 9, 2020 at 9:45 pm .

Our club is a massive embarrassment. I’m surprised Solskjaer hasn’t substituted Grealish in case he fails his medical.

Holte66 July 9, 2020 at 9:47 pm .

At least Smith has his excuse prepared for this defeat. Starting to sound like our previous 5-6 managers.

badger123 July 9, 2020 at 9:48 pm .

I really don’t want to watch this anymore and I might well just turn it off.
    Very rare I say that.
    In fact I don’t think I ever have.

I’ve just had enough now.