Villa – Man Utd; History doesn’t bode well, but who knows?

Last week’s game did a lot to restore my faith in the side, mainly because I was actually entertained for the first time after months of poor, dull football.
Man Utd games tend to be quite decent so I’m looking forward to a decent performance.

Unfortunately history isn’t in our favour, as I’ve just read a couple of shocking statistics.

1) Aston Villa have picked up just one win in their last 44 Premier League matches against Manchester United (D11 L32).

2) They are also unbeaten in 21 matches at Villa Park in all competitions, last losing in the league there in August 1995.

Now I’m sure we all knew our record against the reds was poor, but when you see it written down, it just seems much worse. 1 win in 44!

And then add in that Man U are unbeaten all season in away games and we’re worse at home and it seems to be a bit of a foregone conclusion really.

TEAM NEWS

It’s all quite boring on our part, as nothing has changed. Jack Grealish has apparently started training if you actually believe what Dean Smith says. I suppose it’s a case of having to, but whatever, he’s obviously nowhere near fit enough to play. No doubt he’ll make an appearance or two before the end of the season, but you have to wonder what the injury is doing to his England chances?
Sanson and Trezeguet are still out.

As for Utd, Daniel James, Anthony Martial and Phil Jones are all out.
Utd have 4 games in 8 days and Solskjaer has said he will heavily rotate his side. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing for us. It possibly means they don’t play their best side, but it also means fresh legs.

On the face of it, it doesn’t look like we have much of a chance today. But we’ve been involved in some very strange results this season, winning some very difficult games (Everton last week and of course Liverpool are good examples), yet losing what ought to be very easy games (Sheffield massively wrankles).
So you never know.

If we can play with the energy and desire we showed last week, I think we can beat Utd.
Indeed, that was the sort of performance where I think we’d have a chance of beating anyone.
It all depends which Aston Villa turn up really and it could go either way.

Play like last week and I’ll go for a Villa win, 2-1.
Play like we have done in the weeks beforehand and it’s a comfortable Man U victory, 3-1.

Here’s hoping. UTV!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Big Fat Ron
    Big Fat Ron May 9, 2021 at 3:43 pm .

Keinan and Wesley getting a 10 minute cameo…can the big guys give United something to think about?

2. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum May 9, 2021 at 3:50 pm .

Last 15 minutes have been good for us.
    Come on Lads!!!!

3. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum May 9, 2021 at 3:51 pm .

Ouch.
    Oh well… Grrrrrrr……

4. badger123
    badger123 May 9, 2021 at 3:56 pm .

So that’s 3-1 and Ollie gets a red.
    That’s poor and Utd have got the benefit of the doubt again.
    I don’t think I’d have give anything at all there, as it looked like the goalie did actually make contact, even if he was pulling out.

5. Holte
    Holte May 9, 2021 at 4:04 pm .

Whenever we play Utd they always seem to get the decisions go their way. To make matters worse we have handed them two of their goals.

1. OLL again
      OLL again May 9, 2021 at 5:35 pm .

Just to make sure – the EPL hand the officiating task to a referee from Manchester! You couldn’t make it up. Can we have André Marriner next time? He’s a Villa fan.

Don’t confuse Mings and Konsa for top drawer defenders. They were caught napping by Greenwood and Cavani for a goal apiece.

6. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum May 9, 2021 at 4:04 pm .

Two mistakes and 2 Utd goals. Pogba makes a meal of it and gets a penalty. McGuire gets over 6 minutes to sit on the pitch stopping the match when he should have been treated on the touchline. Unclear Ollie challenge and a red card.
    I hate Utd even more now.
    Not a bad performance by us and it’s a shame it’s not reflected in the scoreline.

1. badger123
      badger123 May 9, 2021 at 4:11 pm .

I said the same at the time.
      “Yes, go on, let them sort their tactics out while he’s sat there”
      Piss poor refereeing and you can guarantee if that was one of our players, he’d have been carried off to be treated.

I’m going to comment more on that when I write later.

1. Big Fat Ron
        Big Fat Ron May 9, 2021 at 8:04 pm .

All of these ‘favours’ that United get every year are nothing less than CORRUPTION. The sooner the Villa hierarchy and others who feel the same do something about it, the better. It’s the same as the VAR point I made last night; if you’re apathetic and show that you don’t give a shit, they’ll keep doing it. Villa top brass should’ve kicked off the moment the referee for the game was announced.

Ollie’s red card was laughable. Greenwood was playing basketball but it’s OK, while Pogba was just waiting to be touched before going down like the proverbial sack of spuds, although, yes, Luiz should have known much better.

Very disappointing result after leading at the break.

7. Tekkers48
    Tekkers48 May 9, 2021 at 4:11 pm .

Totally blown it.  We are miles off challenging for top six with current squad.  Think its time to offload a few that are not good enough to take us to next level.  McGinn and Luis for starters.  Totally outplayed second half and conceded three soft goals from defencive errors.  Cant stand loosing to united.  Will we ever beat them again this century ?   And dont get me started on corners.  When we get a corners in games its my que to run to the toilet as we never seem to threaten from them.

8. Bill Pearson..
    Bill Pearson.. May 9, 2021 at 4:22 pm .

Definitely Holte no two ways, Even the comments from Sky was Man supporting. That was a pen for us but it’s decision was a foregone conclusion Man orientated again. I didn’t think we would get a result we lack fitness and wanting, Luise was a joke, Barkley just played and Traori second half was knackered our two backs was great but our midfield was something else. How will we keep the best players if Smith cannot see problems on the pitch.

9. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 May 9, 2021 at 4:31 pm .

It’s the same every time we play them – all the key decisions go their way and we get the bum steers!

Turned off after the Cavani goal but report says Watkins got a second yellow for ‘simulation’. Did he deserve it? And given the state of the game was it warranted anyway.

I really do hate Manure with a passion.