Villa – Fulham; A game of football.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m finding it increasingly harder to write anything about the Villa lately.
International breaks, where England get ridiculously easy draws in the qualifiers, yet crumble at the first sign of any half decent opposition don’t help things in the slightest and I’ve detested the things for years, but somehow there’s more to it than that of late.

I think a lot of it stems to our current position and our current form.
We’re in a position now where we cannot be relegated.
Obviously that’s great, but if you then consider how poorly we’ve been playing for literally months now, we’re not going to make Europe either. I’m sure many will think that’s a good thing, because it’s too soon and we haven’t got the squad.
I totally get that and it’s probably the majority opinion that we haven’t even got the squad for the Premier league, which shows even more how well we’ve done this season.
But I looked on in envy at Wolves last year when they were in Europe and I’m not convinced you should give up on trying to qualify, even if you might prove not good enough.

But that’s an aside.
It seems to me we’ve nothing to play for and our football is basically demonstrating that.
And it’s boring.
Go on, think about it. When was the last time you enjoyed watching a Villa game?
Where’s the free flowing football that we saw earlier in the season, where you actually expected a goal, not just hoped we’d get one?
Where’s the zest, the drive, the basic excitement about our game?
It hasn’t been there for ages for me and it’s beginning to tell on my patience.

Sky’s constant messing about with the kickoff times doesn’t help. Football at 4.30 on a Sunday just feels wrong to me and always will.
But if I’m honest, I don’t even look forward to a Villa game anymore, probably because I know exactly what I’m going to get.
The same tired tactics from a manager who doesn’t even like to sub, let alone bring new players in.
The same players who have persistently underperformed for weeks, yet hardly ever get dropped.
The same one up front, which for all the effort just isn’t producing results.

It’s just boring.
Smith would probably counter that he’s introduced Ramsay. Indeed he has, but has he looked anything like useful?
Be honest and not sentimental and the truth is no he hasn’t. At all.
So take him out of the limelight and get another youngster in.
What is there to lose?
We’re playing like we don’t want to achieve anymore this season, so we might as well just do SOMETHING different.

We’re playing Fulham. Put Davis right next to Ollie and hoof it to them. Just for the hell of it.
Does anyone even care if we win or lose this game? What does it matter?

We all know it won’t happen.

So what to talk about then?
There is nothing. We all know who is going to play and how we’re going to play.
The only possible thing to talk about is if Jack comes back in or not.
If he does, we might be a better team, although I wouldn’t expect him to hit the ground running.
And if he doesn’t, we’ll just be, well…..

I’m going for 2-1.
But I don’t have a clue who will win.
It’s just a case of which team is worse, to my mind.

Page 5 of 6 1 3 4 5 6
    DSVilla April 4, 2021 at 7:13 pm . Reply

Didn’t see that result coming. Davis made a huge difference and we actually got players in their penalty area and scored goals. Who would’ve thought it?

Sidforever April 4, 2021 at 8:05 pm . Reply

If Grealish is out for longer, then Smith should have learnt a lesson today. Watkins and Davis should be paired.

The game changed with Davis’ introduction. Looks like the plan B we have called for may become more regular.

Smith will come under a lot of pressure next season if the team serve up dross like the first 80 minutes. He needs to use more of the squad and be able to change the style of play effectively.

Hitchens60 April 5, 2021 at 7:40 am . Reply

Finding the art of winning again – that’s also important.

We had lost it, playing sterile, fearful football more about not losing than winning.

Even with Grealish back, I’d stick with Davis and Ollie up front.

Sidforever April 5, 2021 at 10:14 am . Reply

Looking at the remaining fixtures and our recent form = 6 points. I hope I am wrong but don’t see many more.

Big Fat Ron April 8, 2021 at 5:04 pm . Reply

I was thinking exactly the same, Sid.

OLL again April 5, 2021 at 6:08 pm . Reply

I was about to start a new bomb squad. Smith the 1st name on it for lying about Grealish’s injury. As it is the airheads who comment on the Birmingham Mail imagine that Grealish has injured shins because he wears tiny shin pads, whereas that is the cart before the horse. Because he is prone to shin splints the pressure of full size pads will make him sore so he wears tiny pads that can hang loose.

Today’s result has spared Smith, that and the belief – I have no proof – that Lange bought Sanson, Smith didn’t want him. At least today the 3 under-performing players El Ghazi, Sanson and Luiz were taken off. From the bench Ramsay and Trez were automatic choices but Davis was an option. Smith at last gets it right. Luck or judgement – I think you can guess.

++++++

For Holte66. Try changing your email address and name to 66Holte. That’s like what I have done to get round the moderation.

Holte April 9, 2021 at 7:32 pm . Reply

Test from Holte

Tom April 6, 2021 at 1:58 pm . Reply

Agree on the Sanson theory. Something just doesn’t fit the by nature of the signings we made pre season.
    It really feels like Sanson was that BLT sandwich that was on the clearance rack for 25p, after taking a few bites, you can’t help but feel you should have paid full price for the ploughman’s triple pack at £2:95.

Sidforever April 6, 2021 at 5:21 pm . Reply

Badger based on the comments regarding Sanson. Have we ever bought a decent French player? I’m racking my brains and I think they have all failed at Villa!
    Dicier Six – odd moment
    David Ginola – past his best
    Mathiue Berson – sunk without trace
    Didier Agatha – waste of ink on contract
    Robert Pires – final payday for nothing
    Charles Ngzombia – wasted tens of £ms on him
    Ally Cissoko – a defender who could not defend
    Jordan Amavi and Vertout- both contributed to our relegation
    Frederic Guilbert- guaranteed yellow card
    Morgan Sanson – I’ll reserve judgement until after next pre- season.

So basically, we have truly been shafted by the French. Perhaps Brexit and the need for more home grown players will stop us from shopping at the bargain basement across the Channel. Insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different outcome. 10/10 failures to date and one with the jury currently out.

Hitchens60 April 6, 2021 at 8:13 pm . Reply

I’m going to beg to differ – not that I think Sanson has shown any real quality yet but then neither has Luis nor McGinn of late. There seems to be something amiss with our mid field – and is it really just the absence of Grealish?

Whether Smith supported his acquisition or not is pure conjecture.

When Sanson left Marseilles for a knock down price it incensed Villas-Boas to the point where he openly criticised the club owners – albeit obtusely – by accusing Villa of making a derisory offer which subsequently led to his departure. To my mind, for a manager to publicly criticise his employers, suggests that Sanson is a much better player than we have currently witnessed.

Players do take time to settle at a new club and it’s important that they’re played in their best position within a set up that suits them.

I return to my opening point that something’s just not right with our mid field?

Bum Bum April 8, 2021 at 8:55 am . Reply

I always thought Jordan Veretout could have been a brilliant player, was with us when we were at our worst. Isn’t he doing quite well now?