Villa – Derby; It’s all about goals isn’t it?

God, I’ve been dreading writing my thoughts on this one.
I’ve put it off and put it off, but now I’ve no choice, as I’m going to be working so will miss the game.

What to say?

Well I’d love to come on here with a massive burst of positivity and a strong gut feeling that we’re going to win 3-0 or similar.
But do any of us think that’s going to happen?

The title’s stupid really isn’t it?
Yet it sums up how quite easy the game is. The team that scores the most goals wins, it’s as simple as that.
And that’s why I’m struggling to see any positivity.

I’ll do some boring form stuff first and it’s scary.

Over the last ten games, we’re 23rd in the form table, with the 3rd worst goal difference.
Over the last six games, we’re 23rd in the form table, with the 2nd worst goal difference.
Take Rotherham, who for me are definite goners, out of the equation and it’s worse.

Fair enough, Kodjia hasn’t been here, but I’ll go into that in a mo.

Derby on the other hand, while not doing as well as I instinctively thought, have the following form;
Over the last ten games, they’re 18th in the form table, but their goal difference is 9 goals better.
Over the last six games, they’re 12th in the form table, but their goal difference is 11 goals better.

Bloody hell, I’m bored with that myself now.
Suffice to say, Derby are in the ascendancy and we’re in the proverbial.

From the OS;
Scott Hogan will be out for three-five weeks after spraining his ankle while fellow forwards Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Gabriel Agbonlahor are still two weeks away from being available.

Basically it’s getting worse isn’t it?
Where are the goals going to come from, seeing as Kodjia is our only fit striker?
The same Kodjia, who many berate for being too greedy.

Because the midfield don’t look remotely like providing them, maybe Adomah apart.

So being realistic, it’s looking unlikely we’ll score, as we are massively reliant on Kodjia.

Ah, I’ll tell you what, I’m seriously struggling to carry on here.

Tomorrow is going to be about damage limitation, it’s as simple as that.
We don’t score enough, have one fit striker and concede far too many stupid goals, because of a piss-poor defence.
And we’re looking at Samba, who couldn’t cut it in Greece? You think our current defenders are slow?

Brolly man will be chomping at the bit.
Yet some are expecting 6-7 points from our next 3 games?
I seriously think Rotherhan might do us.

0-2.
If we’re lucky.
I think I’m going to be glad I can’t watch it.

1. Adam February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm . Reply

Great we finally got 3 points! but lets not kid ourselves the performance left a lot to be desired. Jury still out on Bruces tactics and subs for me. Still, weve got to pick it up from somehwere so hopefully thats now!

2. ifiruledtheworld February 25, 2017 at 8:32 pm . Reply

Now I know in the previous article I said no thanks would be necessary for heading to the game today, but after today I have no nails left on me!!

On a serious note, oh how that was needed. Think the main lesson learned from today was a midfield of Bacuna, Lansbury and Jedinak works. Unfortunately Bacuna will now likely miss a few games after his late red. Lansbury was superb on set pieces today, not only scored from one but looked dangerous whenever he whipped one in.

Don’t really agree with the “we were lucky” comments, Johnstone didn’t have a save to make until the 75th minute!! As for 1-0, should have been more, Hutton spurned a great chance and Bacuna missed an absolute gift after misplaced pass from Carson.

A good result today, Derby are a decent side, and considering our form, they certainly fancied themselves heading into it. Now let’s make it back to back wins Tuesday!!

UTV!

3. bws February 25, 2017 at 8:46 pm . Reply

Back to winning ways we just need to make it habitual now.
    Wyness on the radio Friday said what a mess Randy and his minions had left the club in, he said something along the lines of every time he opened a draw another problem popped out!

1. jvillan February 25, 2017 at 8:53 pm . Reply

maybe they should just keep drawers closed, bit like bruce blaming everyone else for whats going on,it still a farce of a club

4. DSVilla February 25, 2017 at 9:48 pm . Reply

I don’t believe IIRTW can claim this victory. I’m in Australia so slept through it so think it’s my change of habit. Hopefully a couple more to come while I am away.
    I worry about our lack of possession. We need the ball to control games. Long long way to go. What a relief to finally get 3 points though

5. VillaAwayInDiv3 February 26, 2017 at 1:01 am . Reply

Lucky ????
    WE scored
    AS said we also had chances…Hutton,Bacuna and the best moment of match ( could be season) when Green hit post – if that had been 2 inches to the right it would have been No 2.
    Bent should have had a Pen – were we lucky..yes but what about our luck over past 8 years…….
    They had 70/30 possession and hardly got into our area.
    Its the win everyone (??) said they would take no matter how it was achieved…..now a chance to hopefully build slowly on this and try and get a bit of spirit going.
    Even if we get another 4 points this week it will not be all roses to the end of season but at least we might have a chance to play a bit better week on week.

1. Villain1 February 26, 2017 at 12:13 pm . Reply

Its no coincidence that good sides are lucky and poor sides aren’t. I don’t buy into this luck BS, we’ve deserved everything we’ve got over the past few years because of dreadful ownership and poor management

6. Bill Pearson February 26, 2017 at 9:24 am . Reply

I still think we have a lot to learn, been studying the match by watching it on tv, Clark’s tackle ? have to say close on a penalty to me, bad luck on Greens header but they didn’t show other efforts from Villa like Hutton crack at goal that would have sunk Derby,it took the defender off his feet.better understanding in defensive midfield and a shame Bacuna lost his cool. all in all something to work on in the next coming weeks.

7. Villain1 February 26, 2017 at 12:12 pm . Reply

About as scrappy and ugly a win as you can get against what seemed like a mediocre Derby team. The performance levels are still very poor. We’ll scrap the results to stay up but there is nothing to suggest this management team are building anything. The tactics are far too negative and as expected Bruce is reactive as opposed to proactive with changes and subs. The obvious sign of a manager who is completely outdated with the modern game.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 27, 2017 at 1:29 am . Reply

Best comment so far. The least we expected of Bruce was an improvement on RDM but we are worse than under RDM imo and don’t play as good a football either

1. bws February 27, 2017 at 12:55 pm . Reply

Oohah if you take of your 1982 rose coloured specs and took the European cup final in context -Bayern battered us and got caught with a sicker punch but does it matter? A wins a win.

8. nath February 26, 2017 at 12:34 pm . Reply

omg i love reading this site after games, whether i managed to see the game or not, its great getting the feelings from real fans, the minute by minute living of a suffering villa fan. there are some great posters in general, some great wind up merchants. i don’t understand why some have to go about spoiling this for others.

cant we just all get along and enjoy this win and move on. like the great manager lamberk once quoted. for those that wanted a great performance to go along with this victory. i feel sad for you to never be satisfied. for me its winning then performances come after. talk about putting the cart before the horse.

and i apologize for all the positive posters and myself for trying to see the good in another bad season

1. Hitchens 60 February 26, 2017 at 1:30 pm . Reply

Bang on Nath. We won so why not celebrate? Most of us, I think, would agree it wasn’t the greatest performance but when you’re on a bad run any win is good.

Now we have an opportunity to put a little run of good results together. I was in favour of Bruce’s appointment – am I entirely happy with him so far – no of course not but that doesn’t mean I’m going to continually slag him off. I still believe, in the medium term, he is the right man for the job – long term is a different matter but, first, we have to learn to ‘walk’ again.

1. owen February 26, 2017 at 3:50 pm . Reply

Bruce went back to basics and we played like we did at the start of his regime. And we won. Never looked like conceding and dangerous from set pieces. Not pretty but we won. Just like under Martin O’Neill.

If we can beat Bristol City we can then roll over Rotherham and have some momentum. Then we have lots of teams above us that we can get points from and finish a respectable 10th.

We would never have been better than that after last seasons debacle. I’m not convinced we’ll play any attractive football under Bruce. But as long as we win and he gets us up and stabilises us in the prem he will have contributed to our 5 year plan. In the prem we can worry about fancy play. The Champ is about winning and nothing else. Bruce knows that because this time next year if we are not top 6, he’ll be out.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 27, 2017 at 1:27 am . Reply

I just can’t believe that with 13 games to go and £80m spent our season is effectively over. Playing blues at VP is the only game worth bothering with as a fan the other 12 are just meaningless non events

2. Guest February 27, 2017 at 11:27 am . Reply

Spent £36m on strikers, around £80m overall and you think 10th is respectable?

Our expectations are literally at rock bottom.

1. jvillan February 27, 2017 at 11:38 am .

never looked liked conceding what, derby stone wall pen 1 st half not given,bent header which he should done better,ball bouncing around our area for last half hour with a keeper defenders don t trust
            yes hutton should have burried his great chance, greens header and bacuna chance when derbys sloppy play gifted it , only greens header was from decent play

2. bws February 27, 2017 at 12:51 pm . Reply

Well said Nath, Hitchy , this constant negativity is (imo) responsible for the toxic atmosphere down at VP.
        Ok I’ve had my runs with Langford and the likes and I still believe they were wrong to back Randy as he run the club into the ground but that eras gone, it’s in the past, This Is A New Regime, a new owner, a new CEO, a new manager, new Coaches, new from top to bottom.
        We really do need get away from this toxic negative mind set and start getting behind the team.
        I’ll get me tin hat out, JV the floor is yours.