Villa – Chelsea: And the fans are back. Well, some of them

Well, here we are, the last game of the season and it’s against a Chelsea side who are still fighting for a Champion’s league place.
You can be sure they’ll be trying then, even if they do probably have one eye on this year’s final. They won’t want to miss out on all that filthy lucre after all, will they?

The big news here is that the fans are back; well at least the lucky 10,000 who won the ballot are.
We’re not really playing for much, as we can’t improve or lose a league place, so there’s no extra money to be earned. Which really annoys me as it means Leeds have proved me wrong and finished above us. I know many of us think we’ve done well to be where we are in our second season, but I really thought we’d be able to do better than them in their first season back in the premier league. It is what it is, I suppose.

Squad news and it’s the same for us. Trezeguet is out long term, Cash is out for the season and Sanson is also out.

As for Chelsea, N’Golo Kante went off injured against Leicester and is doubtful, as is Kai Havertz.
There’s a chance Andreas Christensen will be available.

I found one interesting stat and it’s the one that says Chelsea’s highest league scorer this season is Jorginho with a measly seven goals. That’s incredibly low for a team challenging for the Champion’s league and I thought it’s also interesting that all of his goals have come from penalties.
They don’t score as many as you think either, although they have the second best defence this season after Man City.

I don’t see many goals then and think a single one will be enough to take the points.
I don’t know who to call it for though.

If we play as well as we did against Spurs we’ll win.
Yes, I’m going a Villa win, 1-0.

Page 5 of 7 1 3 4 5 6 7
  1. badger123
    badger123 May 24, 2021 at 9:40 pm . Reply

And that’s a thoroughly deserved win.
    As much as it was a wankfest from the coms when Pool had their few minutes in the ascendency.

2. Bill Pearson..
    Bill Pearson.. May 24, 2021 at 9:44 pm . Reply

Well done Villa youngsters, deserved the game and full marks to the fans behind them from the kick-off.

3. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 May 24, 2021 at 9:49 pm . Reply

Better team on the night.

There are some seriously good young players in this side.

Kessler looks the real deal at RB.

4. badger123
    badger123 May 24, 2021 at 9:50 pm . Reply

And then half the team run back to get their phones.
    That disappoints me, but probably typical.
    I would have thought getting the medal and the cup was way more important, but hey ho, it’s all about image nowadays, I suppose.

1. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 May 24, 2021 at 9:58 pm . Reply

It’s a modern World Badger; I thought it was quite funny!

What a great end to the season – two wins against London Clubs, 55 points, fans back in the great old stadium and the FA Youth Cup.

Brilliant

UTV

1. badger123
        badger123 May 24, 2021 at 10:01 pm . Reply

You’re right Hitch.
        It’s been pretty decent.

And will probably be better next season 🙂

2. Bill Pearson..
      Bill Pearson.. May 25, 2021 at 1:35 pm . Reply

And Minns forgot about him..

5. OLL again
    OLL again May 24, 2021 at 10:27 pm . Reply

The Villa youngsters have been watching the 1st teams bad habits. Go 2 goals up and sit back. Liverpool’s keeper made some great saves from Villa shots when a pass instead of a shot would have left him stranded. A high quality Villa team though, I could see 7 of them making it to the First team.

6. Bill Pearson..
    Bill Pearson.. May 25, 2021 at 1:32 pm . Reply

Ok lads Southgate 33 provisional players, Jacks in and Ollie but only 26 will be needed…

7. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 May 25, 2021 at 6:09 pm . Reply

How did Azpilicueta get his red card overturned? It looked deliberate to me, And if it was that marginal why didn’t VAR look at it – isn’t it supposed to ensure that poor (wrong) decisions are reviewed and corrected during the game?

Once again are we seeing a favouritism towards the ‘Sky 6’? At the very least it, once again, shows how confused how the whole system is – it’s failing football and making a mockery of the game.

And whilst I’me on a rant – why can’t two yellow cards leading to a red be appealed? We’ve seen too many players banned unfairly for one game.

I really despair at times.

8. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 May 25, 2021 at 6:42 pm . Reply

See Wolves are in talks with Lage to succeed Nuno – another in Mendes stable.

Historically (particularly in Wolves final year in the Championship) it was felt the Mendes / Wolves tie up through Forsun broke the rules regarding football agent’s direct involvement in clubs and gave Wolves an unfair advantage.

Now I wonder whether their over dependence on Mendes (or his power to direct the clubs decision making) might work against them?

Lage has a chequered history.

Time will tell.

9. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum May 31, 2021 at 9:10 am . Reply

Any juicy transfer rumours yet?

1. Big Fat Ron
      Big Fat Ron June 1, 2021 at 12:11 am . Reply

Well, we won’t be signing Aguero! Slightly disappointed, however unrealistic the notion was!

10. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 June 1, 2021 at 5:21 pm . Reply

Hard luck on Ollie not making the final England Squad but I suppose he was always going to be an outside bet.

Surprised JG is listed as a forward though.