Villa – Bolton; Home advantage should see us through.

From memory, Bolton made a very good start to the season, but a quick look at the table shows that results soon tailed off.
So much so that they’re actually sat two places below us in 19th.
Even better, they have the equal lowest goals scored, with 11 in 15 games, which hopefully means our defence might have a slightly easier time of things.

Which all in all means that coupled with home advantage, we really ought to win this one. On paper.
Actually, now I’ve just typed that, I’ve realised that the thought of losing this game is unthinkable.

But we won’t.
Bolton have the single worst form record in the league, with a solitary point in their last 5 games.
If that doesn’t spell a win for us, I don’t know what does.

Dean Smith has had another week with the players and while Bolton don’t seem to have the weakest of defences, if they struggle to score, hopefully we’ll be able to play a high press and give them things to worry about without them catching us on a typical counter, a la QPR.

I’m writing this on Thursday night, because I won’t have time to write it today, because I’m actually going to the game, taking a few of the family with me.
Yes, the Dean Smith effect and the thought of watching some decent football has actually enticed me to get off my backside and get down to watch.

I fully expect to witness a win and I’m going for 3-1, although I’ll be quite happy if the grandkids get to see simply a victory, combined with the Villa showing them how you should approach the game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. Badger123 November 2, 2018 at 10:09 am .

I’m quite looking forward to this.

2. DSVilla November 2, 2018 at 1:00 pm .

I think we will win tonight. The extra training time will help, but I think we are playing better anyway and expect that to translate to results sooner rather than later.

3. Pat 57 November 2, 2018 at 1:28 pm .

Also going for a Villa win. I’m actually looking forward to watching it on TV tonight which makes a change.

Fact – ‘Aston Villa have never lost a home league match against Bolton Wanderers outside the top flight.’

Let’s hope that’s still true after tonight.

4. Holte66 November 2, 2018 at 6:42 pm .

When it comes to Villa on TV, confidence is one thing that I don’t have. We should win but Pat has just tempted fate, and you know how Villa like to end an opponents poor run of form and produce ‘firsts’ recently! The fact is we must win. A draw isn’t acceptable and I think we will win, although I reckon it will be tight. Prediction 2-1.

5. Hitchens60 November 2, 2018 at 7:05 pm .

Hourihane or McGinn playing the holding role in midfield?

6. nath November 2, 2018 at 7:17 pm .

really looking forward to watching the game tonight.smith has had a week to prepare and get his ideas across on the training field. we have improved off the ball, that is really noticeable already. i think tonight we will see us improve vastly with the ball. iam looking for more accuracy with the ball and faster passing. i think when we improve on this there will be no stopping us in this league.

bolton will cause trouble from corners and set pieces, so lets hope we play clever and restrict these opportunities. 4 0 / or 4 1 should be a good confidence booster for tougher games ahead

7. Adam November 2, 2018 at 7:41 pm .

I think Smith has done the right thing in dropping Elmo. Adomah and Kodjia both like to beat their man and should give us proper width. That will cumulate in a win. i think its the main thing thats been missing so far under smith.

8. Pat 57 November 2, 2018 at 7:52 pm .

Jack!!!!

1-0 up

9. Hitchens60 November 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm .

Watching bbc live text in Barbados – seems like a typical Villa display – lasting all of 15 minutes! Those watching can put me right.

1. Pat 57 November 2, 2018 at 8:23 pm .

Villa coming close but riding their luck. At the moment I’d say that Bolton could easily be level despite us having most of the possession.

1. Hitchens60 November 2, 2018 at 8:24 pm .

Thanks Pat

10. Hitchens60 November 2, 2018 at 8:36 pm .

The impression I get is that we are still failing to dominate games and our defence (particularly Nyland) is vulnerable. We’re also failing to take chances. Wouldn’t bet against Bolton equalising.

1. Pat 57 November 2, 2018 at 8:42 pm .

Hitch, quite a good summary of the first half I’d say. We desperately need a second goal to make Bolton’s heads go down.

It’s too close to call at the moment. Hoping for a magical half time talk from Dean.