Villa 4 – 2 Norwich; What a difference a game makes!

Well, well, what on earth has happened since the Reading game?

It’s no exaggeration to say we looked a totally different side to what we’ve seen up to now, this season.
I’m totally flummoxed as to what the answer to that is, but it doesn’t matter, as that’s the first time since I can remember, where I actually enjoyed watching a game.
If I didn’t know better, I’d have sworn we were just giving the rest of the league a head-start, just to make a fair competition of it, as we proceed to smash all of them asunder and romp the league by 20 points.

Seriously though, let’s get this straight.
All of the things we’ve been moaning about just disappeared.
We passed crisply and the ball found the right man.
We played with pace and urgency.
We pressed and harried and didn’t look like we were playing a practice match.
We looked to go forward, quickly.
We created a boat-load of chances.
And most importantly, we scored a good few goals.

In short, we played in the sort of manner that our squad on paper has long made us think we should play.

So, has it all just suddenly clicked?
I suspect not, personally and the one thing that co-incides with this pretty emphatic victory is that Gabby was nowhere near it.
Surely Bruce has seen it for himself now and Mr Aston Villa will not get another look in as long as we have a 13 year old kid who can play before him?
Maybe I’m being unfair on Gabby there, but I just feel his time is over and he adds little to our game.

Whereas young Kienan-Davies was a revelation.
He drove this game and was everywhere, always looking for the slightest chance; making himself available and working his socks off. It’s a shame he never got on the score-sheet, but he can go out on the lash tonight knowing he earned his wages and more this week. And more power to him, if that’s his bag.

Green too, was excellent and was involved in left wing play that Norwich just couldn’t live with. An extra couple of drinks for you too, kid, no worries.

Of course, it wasn’t perfect and our defending was ropey for both of Norwich’s goals. Terry nearly gave a goal away too, with a sloppy back-pass.
But with me being the fickle sort, I can overlook these things as long as we win.
And even then, if we play higher up, that increases the risk of conceding.

Now I love a good theory and my latest is, I wonder if the squad are seeing the likes of Davies performing well in training, but not getting a look in and their discontent shows in the football?
Hence the best performers have been picked today and everyone’s happy, where it manifests itself in that sort of performance?
I don’t know. It’s a bit of a daft theory, but about the only explanation I have.

Whatever, something’s changed, if only it’s a case of Steve Bruce having a lightbulb turned on in his head saying that we cannot keep sitting back. That or he’s under instruction from above to change the play.

At this moment, I don’t particularly care.
We scored more than we have for ages and we won without Jedinak.
What’s not to like?

If we keep playing like that, we will steamroll most teams in this league, in my opinion.
We’re the Villa though.
And it’s a big IF.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. marvin August 20, 2017 at 5:07 am . Reply

Agree with the above comments.

So call me crazy, but out of the list of injuries keeping players out of the squad right now a “twinge” in the back does seems a bit minor. There just has to be more to the Gabby story than what has been reported. Especially when compared to Hogan who was on the bench today and recently sprained/twisted his ankle.

So, either Gabby just wasn’t selected and Bruce is trying not destroy his morale or Gabby has a more serious injury that continues to be managed – which wouldn’t surprise me given his history. I know he was only out one game and it’s still early in the season, maybe it’s just bad timing, but when Bruce mentioned players shying away from the challenge this kinda stands out, given the performances before today.

2. Saddened August 20, 2017 at 8:02 am . Reply

Excellent result, players playing for the good of the team at last – lets hope this is something we build on !!
    And if i never see Flabby in a Villa shirt again it will be too soon, he represents everything that has gone wrong at the Villa.

3. GIDDYVILLAN August 20, 2017 at 9:19 am . Reply

I really can’t see after the injection of the youngster’s yesterday gabby will ever get another sniff at action possibly the early stages of a cup competition or coming on as a lucky charm against the scum. Enjoy your day folks UTV

4. Villain1 August 20, 2017 at 9:25 am . Reply

It was refreshing to see a Villa team actually keep pushing forward and attacking, rather than sitting back and failing to hold on as per usual.
    Maybe the message and the pressure has finally gotten through to the management team. Albeit Bruce’s comments to the media after the game were pathetic.
    Davis had a great full debut, strength, movement, harried their defence and held the ball up brilliantly. When you see that, it makes it even more bizarre that Gabby gets in the matchday squad, never mind the first 11.
    Nevertheless the acid test is Bristol City on Friday, we have to play with the same mentality there, our strength is in attack and any more negative tactics and cagey line ups will not be accepted. My fear and expectation is Bruce will revert to type and the abuse will start again. I think the majority of fans now realise that we need an attacking manager to compliment the players we have.

5. GIDDYVILLAN August 20, 2017 at 10:39 am . Reply

SNN saying Brighton are interested in hourihane, amazing what a hat trick does.

6. Morgan Villa August 20, 2017 at 12:54 pm . Reply

I think Lansbury is lazy he hhardly ever gets stuck in and seems to be on the edge of play. If we drop Lansbury and Hutton i think our team is half decent. As yesterday shown.

Davis was outstanding, Hourihanes off ball movement was why he scored three. Terry does control the backline really well. Onomah was enterprising and challenged foe the ball endlessly and the laying it off for Davis or Green.

Even though we scored 4 we could have had more had it not been for Norwich Gk who was also outstanding

7. langfordvilla August 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm . Reply

Where’s ANDREW?

What happened to the 2 ‘foreign managers’ your always waxing lyrical about, De Boer and Benitez?

Lets run this throughout the season!

So far: De Boer and Benitez = 4 games…..0 points!
    Pulis and Hughes = 4 games…..9 points

Feel free to change any of the British managers i.e For Howe or Dyche. I dont really mind. But lets see how they compare to your ‘brilliant’ foreign managers….De Boer and Benitez.

Bring it on!…I will post after every game. Just let me know which 2 British managers you want me to run with!

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 20, 2017 at 4:37 pm . Reply

I’m not the only one who’s noticed UTV

8. ITK August 20, 2017 at 3:56 pm . Reply

How about you run with Harry Kewell and John Mcgreal.

1. ITK August 20, 2017 at 3:57 pm . Reply

I guess If Harry Kewell was British that’d help.

2. langfordvilla August 20, 2017 at 3:58 pm . Reply

?????

9. ITK August 20, 2017 at 4:03 pm . Reply

On a serious note yesterday was an excellent performance.

For the first time in a long time we looked like a team.

The most positive thing of the game for me was how every time Norwich came back into the game we raised ours and scored again.

We could and maybe should of had 6 or 7 but hey, if the lads show that commitment, passion and pride week in and week out you’ll get no complaints at all, well maybe jv being an exception.

THE BELIEF IS BACK.