Villa 4-0: I never expected that. Grealish runs the show.

Let’s get the negative straight out of the way and say that Derby were awful.
I don’t think they had a shot on target all game and reminded me so much of us recently.
By that, I mean that it seemed everything they tried just didn’t come off and it looked like a classic case of a side low in confidence.

But for a side to look awful, it also suggests that the oposition were frankly very good and I thought we were today.

What’s shocked me is how much difference Jack Grealish seemed to make.
I inherently think that there’s no way one player should make such a difference to a side, but that was definitely the case today.

Even though he’s been out for three months, he just oozed confidence from the off and knew he was going to take this game by the scruff of the neck. You could see it.
And the good (or is it bad?) thing is that it rubbed off on the rest of the team.
This was basically the same side that we’ve seen for weeks, but the effort was massively increased.
We were beating the opposition to every second ball in the middle; something I and many of us have been moaning about for ages.

Why?

It seems we’re definitely a confidence side, to my mind.

So we cantered to a 4-0 lead at half time and then took our foot off the gas to see the result out.
We still threatened, but the intensity wasn’t there, because it frankly wasn’t needed, as even though derby tried to step it up a gear, they still offered nothing.
Grealish was subbed probably earlier than we would have liked, beccause he wasn’t running smoothly. I doubt it’s anything to worry about though and was probably just precautionary.

On the other hand, Elphick’s injury looks a lot more serious.
For a player to just turn and collapse on the spot, is always worrying.
All I could think, was him thinking “that’s my renewed contract blown”.
I think he has another year in him, myself.

Going back to plus points, we kept a clean sheet, scored four and set ourselves up quite nicely for the scum game.
Grealish is the new Gabby, when it comes to the blues games and while he’s not as vocal, hopefully he’ll be showing it with his silky skills.

And I haven’t even mentioned his volley, have I?
What a stormer, that was.

As for Hourihane, fair play lad.
Let’s see more of it, as we know you have it in your locker.

Confidence is key. As I’ve suggested.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Bill Pearson March 2, 2019 at 6:07 pm .

I take it from your post you was seeing the match badger, I tried every where to get a stream, I did however see the goal from Grealish and have to say as good as the volley when prince william was at the game. Ive been saying it for week’s that we needed him back, I’ve never thought that one man makes a team, but prove wrong in that game, Grealish does make a difference and, that told us so,
    great win l hope its the start of a come back,.

Holte66 March 2, 2019 at 6:32 pm .

Been out most of the day so was relying on score updates. Couldn’t believe it being 4 up before half time. I didn’t make a prediction before game so won’t make one before blues game either. Were we that good or were Derby poor? Or was it down to super Jack returning?

Pat 57 March 2, 2019 at 6:42 pm .

I didn’t make a prediction for this one so I think I’ll skip them in future if it means we play like this.

As for one player being able to lift a team see the difference Messi makes on the odd occasion he’s come on as a sub. Whatever ‘it’ is that only certain players have Jack’s definitely got lots of it.

Not sure if we can make the play-offs but you never know. So long as we finish above the noses it won’t have been a bad season.

Holte66 March 2, 2019 at 7:24 pm .

Today emphasises how reliant we are on Grealish. The concern is that we are likely to be playing championship football next season without him. I suggested we need to win 5 on the trot to get amongst play offs so only 4 more to go! On a plus note we will have McGinn back against blues which will certainly add competition and he will feel well rested. Suddenly I’m not dreading next weeks game. 🙂

Bill Pearson March 2, 2019 at 7:31 pm .

Well I’ve looked at a video on tube showing the highlight s and its plain to see the midfield was the answer to our problems. You can see Grealish going through the middle like slicing a cake. he was the reason we didn’t win but only drew in most games.glad to see him back,

Benno March 2, 2019 at 8:17 pm .

Completely different team today. Where has that kind of effort been over the past couple of months?!!

Grealish just runs the show when he plays, I hope whatever happens between now and the end of the year, we manage to keep hold of him. But there were a lot of good performances today. I think Smith is gonna have a tough choice next week with McGinn available. Both Hourihane and Whelan, who havent been great of late, were excellent today.

Alsp, starting to be very impressed by Hause. After the worst debut I have ever seen in a Villa shirt, he is starting to look like a very good player. Hause and Mings would both be good additions.

VillaAwayInDiv3 March 2, 2019 at 9:56 pm .

BILL……The stream I have has the Villa a lot of the time but couldn’t see it available just before the start so looked on FB and someone on a Villa site was showing one of the ones through their Tablet or phone…not brilliant but I treat it like looking through the railings …LOL….think I have only rarely missed a match all season.

Brilliant 1st half but we came out 2nd half a bit slow and even though we should have had a couple more we started passing around – even back too much for me….I want 110% next week for the entire match….watching Leeds against Albion they were flat out right up to the final whistle….we have to aim for this.

Hitchens60 March 2, 2019 at 10:38 pm .

Fair comment VAinD3 but I would suggest there is a significant difference between being 2 up and 4 up at half time. At 2 up the opposing team is still in the game as we know to our cost this season.

Seeing out the game and a clean sheet, whilst still creating chances second half, seems to be pretty good all round performance.

Bill Pearson March 2, 2019 at 10:38 pm .

I looked everywhere on my box , normally find it on one of the foreign channel’s but not today. Just watch it on Guest and its only 3 or 4 minutes, they did highlight Grealish imput in the game. I was impressed with what I seen but we need to do this week after week.

Hitchens60 March 2, 2019 at 10:44 pm .

Bill – search for ‘Aston Villa – The Informer’ on Facebook – shows highlights of all matches and I reckon it’s a bit more than shown on Guest. I did watch Guest tonight but usually don’t bother and rely on the Informer.

Bill Pearson March 2, 2019 at 10:49 pm .

👍Hitch.