Villa 2 – 2 QPR; Qpr are an utter disgrace to the game!

To think when I was a kid, I was in awe of Qpr when they had wonderful players like Stanley Bowles and Gerry Francis etc.
They disgusted me today with the way they timewasted, which is bad enough in itself. Was there a single player of theirs who didn’t go down injured?
Couple that with the way they kicked Grealish off the park in the away game and I don’t think I’ve wanted to beat such a dirty, cheating team as much, in a very long time.
To think they are led by an ex England manager too.
There’s being professional and there’s cheating, to mind.
And Qpr under McClaren are a disgrace.

Mind you, we didn’t exactly help ourselves, did we?
While we dominated the first half, it was far too leisurely for my liking.
We looked ponderous and slow.
We didn’t press enough and lacked energy.

It’s not like you can say it was tiredness either, in my opinion, because as soon as we went 2-1 down, we managed to up the tempo and maintain it.

It might seem harsh, but I think we can say “new manager syndrome” and the honeymoon period are over now for Dean Smith.
Yes, it’s been a punishing schedule. But it’s been the same for all of the clubs and we’ve come out of the Christmas run very poorly for a team aiming at promotion.
Even the overly optimistic me now concedes that the top two is beyond us and we have to look at the play-offs.
I’m not at all happy about that.

Yes, perhaps I’m being unfair.
But footy is a results driven game, simple.
And we’re not beating teams we should be.

I know.
Smith needs time to get his own players in. That’s fair enough.
But he needs to push us on now and restore my confidence, as it’s shot. Again.
Maybe after more reflection, I’ll change my mind.

Bill Pearson January 1, 2019 at 5:34 pm .

Gutted, this type of play and attitude not going to get us up. Today we had players go missing again, and its started to show how much we miss a midfield creative player like Grealish.I’m not convinced we will even be in with a shout at the end,.

nath January 1, 2019 at 5:54 pm .

my lasting memory of this game will be short lived, rangers totally deserve a good kicking for totally ruining the game of football, with anti football tactics of which i havent seen in a long time, the way they killed the game. i thought they had their whole lives depending on the outcome.

villa are too open when they lose the ball deep in opposition half,we are too easy to counter. also you cant see any difference in our play from if we are winning,drawing or losing we just have one speed flat out. we have to play smarter, rangers had a plan and they played to it. we are missing grealish but until we stop being too easy to play against we wont be successful

Holte66 January 1, 2019 at 5:58 pm .

I don’t like to use the term one man team but ever since Grealish went off against Albion our form has slipped dramatically. It was the same last season when he missed most of the first half of the season. We almost resembled a Bruce style team today with hoof like passing. The big worry is Abraham scoring 2 more could increase chances of a return to Chelsea.

DSVilla January 1, 2019 at 5:59 pm .

Bid accepted for Kortney Hause of Wolves (who?). Looks good on Youtube haha. Left foot, decent pace, good build and happy with the ball at his feet. Don’t know what to think about this one. Anyone familiar with him?

Pat 57 January 1, 2019 at 6:01 pm .

I suspect that if we were all offered the current position, still in touch with the play-offs and a new manager with money to spend in the transfer window, towards the end of Bruce’s reign we’d have all jumped at it.

Smith’s probably done as much as he could with an unbalanced squad but it’s what happens next that will make or break this season. I’m still optimistic, we’re scoring goals and making chances, we just need to tighten up at the back. if we can do that and put together a run then anything is possible.

DSVilla January 1, 2019 at 6:01 pm .

As others have said, Grealish is a massive miss for us. That may change by the end of January and then we may have realistic alternatives to him. Will be great to get him back playing.

nath January 1, 2019 at 6:04 pm .

i never heard of him. would be interested if somebody has and can tell us about him

DSVilla January 1, 2019 at 6:11 pm .

I know it’s youtube and you can make almost anyone look good, but worth watching the vid of him on there. He hasn’t played for Wolves much in the last couple of seasons though so I guess we shouldn’t expect too much.

nath January 1, 2019 at 6:19 pm .

it makes sense hes a CB and LB but most importantly left footed. chester and elphick both like to play on the rightside of the CB pairing. so as long as hes decent enough he will offer more balance and options as he can cover left back too

Hitchens60 January 1, 2019 at 6:19 pm .

I’m glad that it wasn’t just me that thought the antics of QPR were a thorough disgrace but also thought the referee was weak (again!).

Overall, we disappointed today and agree with all the comments already made. However, on a positive note, I thought Bree and Elphick played pretty well; Elphick in particular looked calm and composed on the ball and we didn’t give up even though we struggled at times.

We now haven’t won at home since beating Blues – echoes of last season after winning against Wolves?

If we are to get into top six (and I agree with Badger over automatic promotion) then we have to play consistently a lot better – not just the odd game – and stop conceding an average of 2 goals every home game!