Villa 2 – 2 Hull; Good and bad, but not good enough

Isn’t it strange how views can suddenly change during a game?

I was absolutely fuming at half time because of how we cannot stop giving the ball away far too cheaply.
Hourihane seemed the main example, but he was far from alone.
I get that if you’re trying to play a fast-paced, one touch type of game, you’re going to make mistakes.
But it’s not that, that bothers me.
Sometimes it’s just basic simple passing, in balls being totally mis-directed or more often way underhit.
It’s incredibly annoying.

But, looking on the bright side, you can’t knock the fact that we pulled two goals back to equalise, can you?
Of course, we should never have gone two down in the first place and I question Kalinic for at least one of them.
But just when we were looking well and truly beaten, so we managed to turn it around.

The second half was much better and while I still wasn’t convinced by our performance, we did show more energy and drive. So much so that I thought we were the better side.

What I think doesn’t matter though.
What does, is the fact that we’ve drawn at home. Again.
And that is simply not good enough.
We need wins if our rapidly fading hopes of the play-offs are to stay alive and we didn’t get one.

It was interesting that Smith seemed to listen to some of the fan’s criticism.
No Bree, no Hause and we played two attackers, although I’m not sure it was an out-and-out 4-4-2?

Ultimately, Hull will be happy with their point.
And after many of us thought we would probably lose this game, maybe we ought to be happy with ours too.
I just look at things historically and think we really ought to be beating Hull at home.
If I heard correctly, they haven’t beaten us at Villa Park since 1967.
Maybe that explains my massive disappointment?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Holte66 January 22, 2019 at 6:38 pm .

Terrible news about Emiliano Sala and those flying. It would be a miracle to find them alive now. On Villa we have ended another loan deal that proved pointless.

2. Pat 57 January 23, 2019 at 1:48 pm .

Apparently Mikel has rejected a move to Villa and gone to Boro.

I’m glad, we’ve had enough of players who are on their last legs. Let Boro pay him an exorbitant wage packet only to discover that he’ll probably be an impact substitute at best.

One article says that we’re lining up a DM and LB. I just hope it’s true. I’d settle for that right now.

3. Bill Pearson January 23, 2019 at 3:41 pm .

Birmingham mail,

Jack Grealish will begin light training next week, Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has confirmed.

The talismanic midfielder hasn’t played since injuring his shin in Villa’s 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion on December 7 and the claret and blues have won just one of eight matches without him.

But Smith is preparing to welcome Grealish back into the fold for a crucial run of February fixtures.

“Jack is due to go out and run next week,” Smith told avfc.co.uk. “That’s a big positive for him and us.

“When he gleefully told me today he was due to run outside next week, he said, ‘You can arrange a game for me as well’.

“He’s very keen to get out on the pitch. He has an enthusiasm for playing and wanting to play so we will certainly have to have the reins on him. But I will want him back as soon as we can as well.”

Boy am I happy to know that……..

4. Hitchens60 January 24, 2019 at 8:06 pm .

See Henry is doing a sterling job at Monaco – in fact so well that they’ve suspended him. Another bullet dodged there methinks.

5. Bill Pearson January 25, 2019 at 10:29 am .

Knocked down on his first management, some live in a dream world Va Voom. ..

6. Bill Pearson January 25, 2019 at 4:43 pm .

No one but no one wants Villa.

Free agent Mutch linked up with the Midlands giants on trial this week in a bid to win a move to Villa Park, but he cut short the trial stint after two days after receiving an offer from K League side Gyeongnam FC to move to South Korea.

The 27-year-old, who had a spell in Major League Soccer last year with Vancouver Whitecaps, has now flown to South Korea to discuss personal terms with Gyeongnam FC ahead of finalising his move to the club.

Thruth be known we don’t get anyone.

1. Hitchens60 January 25, 2019 at 6:18 pm .

Bill – we don’t need Andy Mutch – he’s just chasing money.

I have faith in Smith et al that we will get the right players in with potential that want to play for the shirt.

Keep the faith – part of the pride UTV

1. Big Fat Ron January 25, 2019 at 10:57 pm .

Who the F is Andy Mutch??? Didn’t he have big ears and play for Wolves in the 90s? Why are we trying to sign 50 year olds?

1. Hitchens60 January 25, 2019 at 11:15 pm .

OK BFR – very funny! Freudian slip – you know very well we were referring to Jordon Mutch – it’s just I’m old, senile and can only remember players from my (relative) youth. Notwithstanding my comment is still apposite! Hi

7. Holte66 January 25, 2019 at 7:20 pm .

We can get a bit paranoid that we aren’t signing anyone. The January transfer window is a pointless waste of time. I wish they would scrap it personally. Clubs should have their squads sorted out in the summer and if they don’t and struggle with injuries then that is tough IMO. Look at Brentford with 3 – 4 of their players being linked with other clubs mid season! On the injury front we have Jedinak back who is a much better option as DM than Whelan. Also Grealish should be back within a couple of weeks from what’s being said. I won’t mention Lansbury because I’m sure he will have a new injury before he gets fit. I think we might actually win tomorrow, but we are the Villa and Wigan game is still fresh in the memory.

8. Bill Pearson January 25, 2019 at 10:39 pm .

Holte66, Hitch, sorry lads I don’t follow your train of thoughts, firstly its not so much that Andy Mutch chasing money, its that he didn’t want Villa we don’t know what was on the table for him, what getting to me is how many players have turned their backs on our club , I will go along Holte66 about January window its not wanted, teams should stay a team till end of seasons, Agents, and players have taken over football years ago , it would be nice if all players got the same wage in the game, and only get to play for the best team in the league .I know it would never be like that but you wouldn’t get greedy Agents and players holding a gun to the heads of clubs. Just my thoughts, ok its crackers but wouldn’t it be better for us fans.

1. Big Fat Ron January 25, 2019 at 11:02 pm .

It’s not crackers Bill. A teacher can expect a salary between x and y, as can a doctor, a banker, a lawyer etc, so why not footballers?

How about this: all footballers to work freelance, so they’re only paid if and when their services are required. In other words, lazy wasters would never get a game and would disappear, while talented grafters would be in demand and command the best wages. Now that is crackers! 😉

9. Hitchens60 January 25, 2019 at 11:27 pm .

Bill – there are players that can improve our club, who want to play for us and then there are mercenaries. Mutch belongs to the latter category and, in any event, I don’t believe he had anything to offer us.

We’ve already employed too many mercenaries of late.

Rather we built a team around (young) players that wanted to be a Villan than bought (or tried to buy) promotion with the financial chancers – that is a road to ruin. If we haven’t learnt that already then go ask Pompey fans?