Villa 2 – 2 Hull; Good and bad, but not good enough

Isn’t it strange how views can suddenly change during a game?

I was absolutely fuming at half time because of how we cannot stop giving the ball away far too cheaply.
Hourihane seemed the main example, but he was far from alone.
I get that if you’re trying to play a fast-paced, one touch type of game, you’re going to make mistakes.
But it’s not that, that bothers me.
Sometimes it’s just basic simple passing, in balls being totally mis-directed or more often way underhit.
It’s incredibly annoying.

But, looking on the bright side, you can’t knock the fact that we pulled two goals back to equalise, can you?
Of course, we should never have gone two down in the first place and I question Kalinic for at least one of them.
But just when we were looking well and truly beaten, so we managed to turn it around.

The second half was much better and while I still wasn’t convinced by our performance, we did show more energy and drive. So much so that I thought we were the better side.

What I think doesn’t matter though.
What does, is the fact that we’ve drawn at home. Again.
And that is simply not good enough.
We need wins if our rapidly fading hopes of the play-offs are to stay alive and we didn’t get one.

It was interesting that Smith seemed to listen to some of the fan’s criticism.
No Bree, no Hause and we played two attackers, although I’m not sure it was an out-and-out 4-4-2?

Ultimately, Hull will be happy with their point.
And after many of us thought we would probably lose this game, maybe we ought to be happy with ours too.
I just look at things historically and think we really ought to be beating Hull at home.
If I heard correctly, they haven’t beaten us at Villa Park since 1967.
Maybe that explains my massive disappointment?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Badger123 January 21, 2019 at 8:09 pm .

Blimey, I’m shocked at Bolasie wanting to leave and frankly don’t believe that part is true.
    I’ve liked watching him play, what with the expectancy of him producing a bit of magic.
    But ultimately, he hasn’t produced enough and is simply not worth his wages.

As suggested, Green really is one I expect to come really good, if only for a short while.
    Pacy wingers always seem to burn out quickly, don’t they?
    I’m thinking Tony Daly etc.

1. DSVilla January 21, 2019 at 8:37 pm .

Thing is Badger, Green cost us nothing (other than Academy costs), will be on a fraction of Bolasies wages, will deliver at least as much in terms of goals and assists and work harder for the team. That works for me.

1. Badger123 January 21, 2019 at 9:16 pm .

I totally agree, DS.
        He’s one of the kids that I have actually called for, for a while and I see something in.

2. Holte66 January 21, 2019 at 8:43 pm .

Bolasie will struggle to get back to his Palace form. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Everton. Not much happening in terms of incomings. I still think that we should be okay without any signings. We need a good CB and LB but if Smith can’t get his preferred choices it makes sense to hold on till July. £75,000 per week saved today. How much more off the wage bill will be saved when Whelan, Jedinak, Hutton, Richards and co. Depart? Just one concern is Greens contract ends this summer!

3. Hitchens60 January 21, 2019 at 8:50 pm .

Did he jump or was he pushed?

1. Badger123 January 21, 2019 at 9:18 pm .

Pushed, imo.
      We’ve just made it look like it was his choice.
      I’m all for making things look “honorable”.

1. Bill Pearson January 21, 2019 at 9:20 pm .

That’s my thoughts Badger, something gone on after the match, imo.

4. Hitchens60 January 21, 2019 at 8:55 pm .

Does that now mean we can afford Gary Cahill who today turned down Fulham – would we really want him?

1. Badger123 January 21, 2019 at 9:20 pm .

Maybe.
      But that would be yet another massive mistake.
      That we won’t make, this time, imo.
      He won’t be coming, simple, unless he cits his dough in half at least.

I wonder where he actually lives?

1. OriginalLondonLion January 22, 2019 at 8:41 pm .

Cahill owns a house in Cobham Surrey. Since he has applied for planning permission to demolish and rebuild perhaps he is not living in it right now.

5. Bill Pearson January 21, 2019 at 9:19 pm .

Not with the mind set the owner’s have Hitch, looking for player’s who’s legs hold out.

1. Badger123 January 21, 2019 at 9:25 pm .

I don’t know Bill.
      He doesn’t necessarily need the legs, as he can read the game.
      But I’ll bet money we won’t get him, or don’t even want him, purely because of the wages.

2. Pat 57 January 21, 2019 at 9:42 pm .

I’d like to see the board put their money where their mouth is and start getting players in who are nearer the start of their career rather than the end.

While Bolasie wasn’t a bad player I’m not sad he’s gone. We need to wean ourselves off from using loan players. We invest a lot of time in them but we get nothing back in the long run.

6. Hitchens60 January 21, 2019 at 9:45 pm .

I hope he was encouraged to leave as part of implementing the new future for our club – perhaps now that we’ve freed up some wages, incomings might start to happen. I would be disappointed if we used that all up in signing Cahill who, at 33, would fly in the face of what Purslow and Sawaris have said about the future direction of the club.

7. Holte66 January 22, 2019 at 1:15 pm .

Badger, I think you are being very harsh on your judgement of Hause. Obviously he wasn’t ready for the first team against Wigan and Smith has admitted he cocked up. Let’s judge him at the end of the season assuming he stays fit and gets game time. Sensibly we have an option to buy which will only be activated if he produces the goods. The player will know the importance of making an impression as his career is dependant on it.

8. Hitchens60 January 22, 2019 at 1:16 pm .

Not surprising news that Moriera is to have his loan deal cancelled.

HITC suggests we should ‘take advantage of Downing’s contract situation’. No, no, a thousand times no.

9. Hitchens60 January 22, 2019 at 2:53 pm .

Terrible news about Eliamino Sala; one can always hope for a miracle. Puts everything into perspective.

1. Hitchens60 January 22, 2019 at 2:56 pm .

Apologies for misspelling his name; Emiliano Sala

10. Bill Pearson January 22, 2019 at 4:48 pm .

Hell Hitch, I’ve been wondering what you was on about till I looked on the web, shite he only signed for Cardiff Saturday and was flying over the Chanel and plane gone missing, What bad luck was that, I hope that two man plane ok.