Villa 2-1 Ipswich; further thoughts.

It’s still early in the UK, I know, but I expected to be quite quickly picked up in some way about when I posted how demoralised I am about the Villa.
Actually, I’m hoping someone does pull me and remind me of where we might be.
Or do we all think similarly, in that we really are utter rubbish, but just don’t want to admit it?

Whatever, I’ve thought about very little else since I abandoned watching the total load of tripe we were yesterday, since.
For me, that’s been a good sleep and a holiday drinking session.
The best part of a full day.

And I’m still worried about where we’re heading as a club.

On the one hand, we’re constantly told how rich Wes Edens or Safaris are, by the Birmingham Mail. We’re also constantly being told that we have funds available, by the same source.
And Dean Smith intimates that wheels are in motion, or similar, which suggests we do indeed have funds available.

Yet, up to now, we’ve signed a goalkeeper and a left-sided player who made the worst debut that I can remember in my 40 years plus of supporting the club (let’s not make excuses here, it really was that bad).
And I remember Djemba-Djemba.
That’s saying something, I’m sure.

Then there’s the fact that we now have 4 days (5 if you include today) to get some top players in.
And apparently our DOF is in Europe on a scouting mission.
Really?
This late on in the window?
Shouldn’t he have done that months ago when he first came in?
Or, even better, have been doing it for years, before he came here?
You have to be kidding me if you swallow this garbage.

And then the reality hits.
We’re being massively strangled by FFP.
I suggested we would do very little business a while back, yet still Smith seems to be dangling us on a string.

I have the vaguest feeling that we might actually sign yet another “top” player, who will turn out to be a failure, simply because it’s what’s expected of us as a club.

Thinking further, no it probably won’t happen, if Smith has anything to do with it.
But if we’re not going to sign anyone of any significance, I’d rather the club just come out and say it.

Which begs the question “why haven’t we seen the kids?”
Which is a policy I firmly disagree with, to be fair, as to me, they are not good enough; something that has been a consistent view, regardless of which manager you care to think of.
Are they really all wrong?

Which, all in all leaves my thinking totally directionless.

For all the hype that we’ve been given, that’s how the club strikes me. Directionless.
None of us have the slightest clue and I don’t think our “leaders” do, either.

It saddens me to say it, but Smith is doomed to failure.
He has been since before he took us on.
Unless he can do something that many decent managers have failed to do, in totally turn us around.
Steve Bruce commented recently that he considered packing it all in, because he couldn’t see what he’d done wrong.
I had a lot of sympathy for this, purely because that’s what managing the Villa does to you.
Lambert was much liked by us before he came to the club, for example, but he’s now hated for the way we played under him.

And all of this, is why I’m worried.
We don’t know how we stand.
Are we a big club going back to it’s righful place in the Prem, or not?
Certainly our team says “no”, but we as fans say “yes”.

And that’s our biggest problem in my opinion.
We’re awful, but struggle to admit it.

Page 6 of 7 1 4 5 6 7
    Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 9:03 pm .

Really not confident on these Guilbert and Leroy Fer stories – neitherchas been picked up by Sky and the sources look more dodgy than most – only time will tell

Bill Pearson January 31, 2019 at 9:36 pm .

I’m a little confused, those player’s we are supposedly signing are not young players, I thought we going for a younger team player’s.. just a thought.

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 10:13 pm .

Bill, I think Guilbert is 24 and Mings 25; Fer is 29 – so not too old.but experienced.

The real statement, I think, is sending so many of our most promising U23’s out on loan which, in turn, promotes some of our youth squad to the U23’s. I really hope we see some of them breaking into the first team next season.

The other statement is twofold – first recalling Green from loan and immediately putting him into the squad and secondly promoting Davis above Hogan. There are those that have intimated that Hogan leaving will just demonstrate he’s a better player than we saw at Villa – maybe that’s true but I really like the idea of Davis being our future.

Saddened January 31, 2019 at 11:37 pm .

Tom Carrol signed

Pat 57 January 31, 2019 at 11:37 pm .

From the Guardian – “Swansea reportedly pulled the plug on the Dan James and Leroy Fer moves late on, but allowed Tom Carroll to join Villa instead of Fer.”

Not sure what I make of that.

Pat 57 January 31, 2019 at 11:41 pm .

26 years old. I remember him when he was younger at Spurs and he seemed a decent footballer. No idea what he’s like these days.

Bill Pearson February 1, 2019 at 8:28 am .

Just hope we’ve got the right player’s , left and right backs was what we needed plus a CB, don’t like the reading that the Swans was glad to get rid. Still I’m with the team we have, lets start the campaign to get in the play off.

Hitchens60 February 1, 2019 at 10:55 am .

Bill, Villa fans have criticised and disliked players – some times quite unfairly who’ve gone on to make decent footballers – quite a few recent examples playing regularly in better teams than us! Others making profits as we made and continue to make losses on player sales.

I know nothing about Tom Carroll but he’s on loan and ain’t assume he will be an inexpensive purchase (should we decide to exercise the option). On the other hand, if he proves to be poor, then the Swansea fans will get him back – so perhaps they should keep quiet!

Hitchens60 February 1, 2019 at 10:56 am .

*I assume …

Hitchens60 February 1, 2019 at 11:05 am .

January window always difficult but we were clearly trying to get deals across the line. Kalinic early was a good move and Mings (if he stays fit) will considerably enhance the defence. Guilbert comes highly regarded, slightly disappointed we have to wait until next season to see him. Swan song for the Scottish Cafu methinks.

Best work imho was recalling Elphick and Green and sending out our most promising U23’s on loan which, in turn, creates opportunities for some from the academy / youth teams to step up to the U23 squad. I also, unlike some, think moving Hogan out on loan and keeping Davis was the right move and does send a message that we are looking to our younger players.

UTV