Villa 2-1 Ipswich; further thoughts.

It’s still early in the UK, I know, but I expected to be quite quickly picked up in some way about when I posted how demoralised I am about the Villa.
Actually, I’m hoping someone does pull me and remind me of where we might be.
Or do we all think similarly, in that we really are utter rubbish, but just don’t want to admit it?

Whatever, I’ve thought about very little else since I abandoned watching the total load of tripe we were yesterday, since.
For me, that’s been a good sleep and a holiday drinking session.
The best part of a full day.

And I’m still worried about where we’re heading as a club.

On the one hand, we’re constantly told how rich Wes Edens or Safaris are, by the Birmingham Mail. We’re also constantly being told that we have funds available, by the same source.
And Dean Smith intimates that wheels are in motion, or similar, which suggests we do indeed have funds available.

Yet, up to now, we’ve signed a goalkeeper and a left-sided player who made the worst debut that I can remember in my 40 years plus of supporting the club (let’s not make excuses here, it really was that bad).
And I remember Djemba-Djemba.
That’s saying something, I’m sure.

Then there’s the fact that we now have 4 days (5 if you include today) to get some top players in.
And apparently our DOF is in Europe on a scouting mission.
Really?
This late on in the window?
Shouldn’t he have done that months ago when he first came in?
Or, even better, have been doing it for years, before he came here?
You have to be kidding me if you swallow this garbage.

And then the reality hits.
We’re being massively strangled by FFP.
I suggested we would do very little business a while back, yet still Smith seems to be dangling us on a string.

I have the vaguest feeling that we might actually sign yet another “top” player, who will turn out to be a failure, simply because it’s what’s expected of us as a club.

Thinking further, no it probably won’t happen, if Smith has anything to do with it.
But if we’re not going to sign anyone of any significance, I’d rather the club just come out and say it.

Which begs the question “why haven’t we seen the kids?”
Which is a policy I firmly disagree with, to be fair, as to me, they are not good enough; something that has been a consistent view, regardless of which manager you care to think of.
Are they really all wrong?

Which, all in all leaves my thinking totally directionless.

For all the hype that we’ve been given, that’s how the club strikes me. Directionless.
None of us have the slightest clue and I don’t think our “leaders” do, either.

It saddens me to say it, but Smith is doomed to failure.
He has been since before he took us on.
Unless he can do something that many decent managers have failed to do, in totally turn us around.
Steve Bruce commented recently that he considered packing it all in, because he couldn’t see what he’d done wrong.
I had a lot of sympathy for this, purely because that’s what managing the Villa does to you.
Lambert was much liked by us before he came to the club, for example, but he’s now hated for the way we played under him.

And all of this, is why I’m worried.
We don’t know how we stand.
Are we a big club going back to it’s righful place in the Prem, or not?
Certainly our team says “no”, but we as fans say “yes”.

And that’s our biggest problem in my opinion.
We’re awful, but struggle to admit it.

Page 5 of 7 1 3 4 5 6 7
    Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 2:38 pm .

I suspect News Conference delayed until Mings deal signed. Nothing really new – Smith hopeful Green fit for Saturday and confirmed they would be working on possible deals to the end of the window.

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 4:44 pm .

All gone a bit quiet now. Finding it hard to get excited about French player who won’t play for us until next season!

Pat 57 January 31, 2019 at 5:15 pm .

God how I hate that Birmingham Live website! So heavy with advertising crap that it takes half an hour to load up and then things keep flashing at me when I’m trying to read. Dreadful.

Please keep posting with any news as I’ll be be using this site to keep up with what’s happening as the window closes.

Fingers crossed.

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 5:33 pm .

Linked with Leroy Fer but seems a bit confused. Scott McKenna going to Stoke for £7m – outside our affordability but as we’ve signed Mings I doubt whether the links are real.

Guilbert reported as having a medical

Nothing else really happening unless Villa working on a surprise.

Sidforever January 31, 2019 at 5:35 pm .

I see Bacuna is chasing his Champions League team via Reading and now Cardiff City🤪

Pat 57 January 31, 2019 at 5:49 pm .

Cardiff! So we’ll probably be seeing Leandro next season then!

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 5:35 pm .

James Bree loaned to Ipswich for remainder of season – needs game time so probably a decent move

Pat 57 January 31, 2019 at 5:56 pm .

Is there any legs at all in the Cahill rumours do you think? The Guardian says that he’s reportedly turned down offers from Monaco and Juventus

Pat 57 January 31, 2019 at 6:05 pm .

Just looked at that in print. Cahill turning down Juve for us? Probably not.

I wish something would happen…

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 6:24 pm .

I doubt it Pat. Why would we want Cahill at £130k per week – we have Chester, Elphick, Mings, Tuanzebe (when fit) and Hause (sic) plus ‘the beard to be feared’ at a pinch.

At 33 Cahill seems more interested in sitting on his wallet – we’ve already funded too many footballer pensions.

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 6:35 pm .

Guilbert ‘rumour’ seems to have gone a little cold. Sky haven’t picked it up at all so maybe there’s nothing to it.

Bill Pearson January 31, 2019 at 7:05 pm .

Aston Villa’s business is not yet done – and it looks like a surprise move for Swansea City’s Leroy Fer may yet be on the cards.

Reports from the Netherlands suggest that Aston Villa have intercepted Lille’s offer for Leroy at a late stage – and that any deal would likely be a permanent transfer. A report from VI.NL suggests that if Villa can make a decent personal offer for Fer, then he is all theirs, preferring to extend his stay in England rather than move to France.

Fer has featured plenty of times for Swansea City this time and would not look out of place at Villa in their midfield. If the report by Martijn Krabbendam is correct, it’d mean that a fairly ambitious move by Villa has come about at the late stage – and not because they are signing a player like Fer – but simply because they have, for once, beaten another club to the punch.

Leroy would represent a solid addition to the Villa squad (we saw that when he tore us a new one in the Cup), and would add some much needed ability to Villa’s midfield. Here’s to all of this coming true!

Another player to ponder over I’ve noted its saying Lilli have said this so might be true.

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 7:16 pm .

Bill, just about to post on this. I mentioned earlier there were confused reports about Fer who it seems was headed to Lille.

Latest report is that Villa are in advanced talks with Swansea but where would Fer prefer to go (sorry about the pun!)

Bill Pearson January 31, 2019 at 8:17 pm .

Think Hitch he wants UK, just hope its us , getting interesting now.

Hitchens60 January 31, 2019 at 8:18 pm .

One report now saying Fer undergoing medical