Villa 2 – 1 Bristol City; It could have been six!

Well, what an entertaining game that was.
The headline score makes it seem close, but the reality is we could have had a boat-load of goals today, if it wasn’t for Max O’Leary playing an absolute blinder. He made that many close range and reaction saves that I lost count.
Hourihane spurned three chances before he finally managed to score.

This was another very good performance against a decent side, although I have to say I don’t think City offered much.
Lee Johnson quite rightly pointed out that City would have an advantage in having an extra day’s rest and I think he was right, as we did look a little leggy.

The only blot for me today was Elmohamady, who seemed to give the ball away more often than not, but it’s hard to criticise anyone when we’ve just won eight games on the trot for the first time since 1975.

The big concern today was how we would get on without Jack Grealish and while I think we missed him, we created loads of chances and scoring goals doesn’t look to be a problem. We maintained our average of 2 goals a game at home.
Even rusty Keinan Davies was unlucky and should have scored.

Given that I think we looked a little tired at times (albeit still playing well), I think the squad is going to come into play more and more as the games keep coming.
Even though we looked light in the centre of defence on paper, it proved to not be so and Jedinak did well.

Special mention should be made about Jed Steer.
I think he looks very confident when the ball is played back to him quickly and he distributes very well, even when under serious pressure.
That surely has to instill confidence in our defenders and no doubt has played a big part in the way we play at the back.

Well done lads and the Villa train keeps on rolling.
UTV!

Hitchens60 April 15, 2019 at 5:09 pm . Reply

I thought at this point in the season the yellow card count was wiped clean so that promotion / relegation teams were not unfairly disadvantaged – it seems not so.

McGinn is only two yellow cards away from a three match ban which could see him miss vital promotion or play off games.

Should we rest him for Friday’s game against Bolton?

Hitchens60 April 15, 2019 at 5:16 pm . Reply

Apparently bookings in the play offs are disregarded so should we play McGinn and if he gets another yellow rest him or rest him for the next two games and then play him against Leeds – same approach as above in respect of picking up another yellow.

Holte66 April 15, 2019 at 6:14 pm . Reply

Hitch, I was under the impression that a 3 match ban wouldn’t apply for play off games if he got 2 more yellow cards with the second one being last game of the season.

Bill Pearson April 15, 2019 at 7:49 pm . Reply

So was I, they saying season over and yellow cards don’t count in play off. Now I’m confused.

H April 15, 2019 at 10:59 pm . Reply

According to Birmingham Live if McGinn received a 15th yellow card against Norwich he would be banned for all three play off games. If he went into the playoffs on 14 cards, any yellow cards picked up in the playoffs would be disregarded for the purposes of the totting up process.

On that basis if McGinn gets a 14th card we would have to rest him because losing him for the playoffs (assuming Villa qualify) would be a disaster.

Hitchens60 April 15, 2019 at 11:00 pm . Reply

Sorry guys that was my post – pressed the wrong button 🙂

Pat 57 April 16, 2019 at 12:15 am . Reply

I think we have to play McGinn against Bolton and Millwall as those points could be crucial. I’d guess that if we get well ahead in either game then Smith will take him off just in case.

It may be that the Leeds and Norwich matches could be less important depending on results but, I’d also guess that, if McGinn does get a yellow then that might be him done until the play-offs. I can’t see Smith taking any chances.

Just shows how important he now is to the team.

Hitchens60 April 16, 2019 at 12:13 pm . Reply

See that Steve Gibsonhas been shouting his mouth off about FFP with Villa and Derby in his sights. Strange that this should coincide with Middlesbrough producing a string of poor results and dropping out of the play off places.

Perhaps he should spend more of his energy shouting at Pullis although I suppose his rant does divert attention from their own shortcomings!

Holte66 April 16, 2019 at 8:44 pm . Reply

So the Small Heath thug Paul Mitchell has been released after just 4 weeks and commented it was the best month of his life! Clearly this idiot has no sense of remorse after insisting he won’t apologise for his actions. I feel sorry for his children that they have this muppet has a role model. I haven’t heard of any more action being taken against the noses for the incident. Banning him and sending him to jail obviously hasn’t achieved anything. Would he be bothered if his team were fined or deducted points? I’m guessing probably not because clearly this numpty is a complete moron.

Pat 57 April 16, 2019 at 9:19 pm . Reply

Well Mr. Mitchell may not be bothered if Small Heath get a points deduction and get relegated but I think that the rest of the noses might have something to say about it.

If I were him I’d prepare for a quick exit from the Midlands region.

Holte66 April 16, 2019 at 9:37 pm . Reply

I read he was not welcome in his local pub. I think that might upset him more than going to jail.

Hitchens60 April 17, 2019 at 12:40 pm . Reply

It seems Friday’s game against Bolton is in doubt related to their financial problems and the ground’s safety certificate. Seems to me that if Bolton can’t stage the game then it should be forfeited in Villa’s favour? I’m assuming it’s in the EFL rules somewhere?

Pat 57 April 17, 2019 at 1:32 pm . Reply

Had a quick look at the rules here –

As far as I can see it only mentions a misconduct charge and compensation if a fixture is cancelled and says nothing about where the points go.

Hitchens60 April 17, 2019 at 1:47 pm . Reply

Interesting; thanks Pat.

There is a possibility that Bolton will not be able to fulfil the fixture at all given their ongoing financial problems – we shall just have to wait and see. I feel there is more of a disadvantage to Villa should the fixture be postponed.

Hitchens60 April 17, 2019 at 6:19 pm . Reply

Callum O’Hare’s contract extended to 2020 – sensible move.

Bill Pearson April 17, 2019 at 6:49 pm . Reply

The Bolton game will take place , the club has been bought, they have new owners.

Pat 57 April 17, 2019 at 9:31 pm . Reply

Saved by the bell. Any postponement would only be bad for us.

We need to get this played and won.Just hope that there’s no such thing as a new owner bounce but hopefully the Bolton players will be thinking more about spending their money now that they’re finally getting paid.