Villa 2 – 1 Bristol City; It could have been six!

Well, what an entertaining game that was.
The headline score makes it seem close, but the reality is we could have had a boat-load of goals today, if it wasn’t for Max O’Leary playing an absolute blinder. He made that many close range and reaction saves that I lost count.
Hourihane spurned three chances before he finally managed to score.

This was another very good performance against a decent side, although I have to say I don’t think City offered much.
Lee Johnson quite rightly pointed out that City would have an advantage in having an extra day’s rest and I think he was right, as we did look a little leggy.

The only blot for me today was Elmohamady, who seemed to give the ball away more often than not, but it’s hard to criticise anyone when we’ve just won eight games on the trot for the first time since 1975.

The big concern today was how we would get on without Jack Grealish and while I think we missed him, we created loads of chances and scoring goals doesn’t look to be a problem. We maintained our average of 2 goals a game at home.
Even rusty Keinan Davies was unlucky and should have scored.

Given that I think we looked a little tired at times (albeit still playing well), I think the squad is going to come into play more and more as the games keep coming.
Even though we looked light in the centre of defence on paper, it proved to not be so and Jedinak did well.

Special mention should be made about Jed Steer.
I think he looks very confident when the ball is played back to him quickly and he distributes very well, even when under serious pressure.
That surely has to instill confidence in our defenders and no doubt has played a big part in the way we play at the back.

Well done lads and the Villa train keeps on rolling.
UTV!

Bill Pearson April 13, 2019 at 7:32 pm . Reply

I have to admire the creation to go forwards, the inter passing to beat players, and the long crossing of a ball, we are seeing football again, it also woken up the media and all eyes are on Villa.24 points in 8 games is a wonderful achievements for the club, if only some of them draws was wins but hey I’m on top of the world with what we’ve done. Let’s keep it going.

Holte66 April 13, 2019 at 7:53 pm . Reply

What has impressed me Bill was our passing game. Even from defence there was no panic and a determination to play the ball out. Tuanzebe got caught out early on but persevered and did well. As for Whelan, I was slating him earlier on in the season but he was immense today and the fans were rightly singing his name alongside McGinn who I’m beginning to think isn’t human! We should rename him Steve Austin the sixty million dollar man!

Bill Pearson April 13, 2019 at 8:44 pm . Reply

Holte66, cannot fault that, I was the same with Whelan didn’t rate him couldnt understand why we got him, but I’m with you on how he’s part of the team, same with Albert , votes out on him at the minute not convinced yet he’s wanted.but what a game today,

Pat 57 April 14, 2019 at 1:24 am . Reply

On the Prem I can remember when Liverpool were an average Division 2 team, for decades Man City were total dross, Spurs were a joke and even Man U got relegated.

It may be the Top 6 now but it’s not carved in stone. I see no reason why, given time and some money, we can’t join them. That’s what we should be aiming for, not just survival, not just mid-table but the top.

Don’t see why we shouldn’t at least have a shot. We are Villa.

Benno April 14, 2019 at 3:42 am . Reply

Watching us play now, its hard to work out on what went so badly wrong after Christmas! Without Grealish, we we were able to make some great chances, and as you said, we could have scored 5 or 6!

I have to say in the back of my mind last year, there was a nagging doubt of what would happen if we did go up. With Bruce in charge, I was worried that a return to the top flight may end in disaster! Needeless to say, I dont have this same feeling with Smith! I would love to see what he could do with money to spend!

The playoffs are going to be tough, but with a full squad and this run of form, I wouldnt bet against us!

Oiginallondonlion April 14, 2019 at 9:20 am . Reply

It could be also that Villa are a fair weather team. I have an impression – which may be wrong, I would be interested to know what you think – that during the worst of winter conditions Villa’s performances dip. In autumn and spring we are better and this has been true for several seasons.

Bum Bum April 15, 2019 at 2:50 pm . Reply

If that’s the case, then the addition of some some Northern Steel may well be what we’ve been lacking. It does seem to have been the case that we’ve been a bunch of pansies on and off for the last few seasons… Bring on the sun! With the onset of global warming, if your theory is correct, we can only get better!!!

nath April 14, 2019 at 8:19 am . Reply

all teams go through low points, ours at christmas was i bet caused by many factors. losing grealish didnt help, but also tuanzebe was a major factor. players in the team didn’t work together like they are now, to fill the gaps or skills that the missing players left. also smith tactics style of play wasn’t sucken into our game. he had instant success when he came. but all clubs seem to have the initial raise of form when a new manager comes. maybe everybody is trying to please him and the team click. but after a while that initial fear good factor disappears. either by a few bad performances or injuries.

we wasn’t bad at christmas we just missed a cutting edge. nobody except mcginn really picked up the ball and drove into the opposition. yesterday i was well impress with el ghazi, he did just that and tore massive holes in the city defence. now if he can continue to play like that and mcginn and grealish continue their games we are very hard to contain

CHARLIEAITKEN...Villa legend April 14, 2019 at 10:38 am . Reply

No coincidence that we do better with a ‘Villa fan’ in charge!
    Ron Atkinson
    John Gregory
    Brian Little
    Dean Smith

CHARLIEAITKEN...Villa legend April 14, 2019 at 1:32 pm . Reply

Dean Smith is proving to be an exceptional coach. The improvement in players such as Taylor, Elmo, Whelan is quite incredible! At long last we have got a system where players just ‘slot in’ when needed. That is vital when players miss out because of injuries/suspensions and loss of form! I sense a ‘togetherness’ that I’ve not witnessed for many a year! The result and performance at Rotherham exemplifies the togetherness perfectly! If the season started now I have no doubt that we would be in the automatic promotion places. I particularly like the way that we keep going forward like yesterday after Bristol City scored. Better than retreating and handing the impetus to the opposition!

Even If we dont go up, I dont see JG leaving (I think DS already knows this and gave him the captaincy with that in mind). Keep JG, McGinn and sign Mings, Hause and El Ghazi and we’ll walk promotion next season. May even keep Tammy for another season if necessary!

The fans are onside with the way we now approach games! Its entertaining and successful and the reason for increased attendances. There are only 3000 seats left for the Millwall game and only 700 for the final game against Norwich! We had the best crowd for a 3pm kick off in England yesterday!

We are now starting to look like the ‘massive’ club that we are! At long last we now seem to be getting it right both on and off the pitch!

We are Villa, we are back and we are coming for YOU! ‘Would you dare to bet against us’?

Pat 57 April 14, 2019 at 2:00 pm . Reply

Just finished watching Wigan v Norwich a 1-1 draw.

Norwich had the possession but strangely lacked a cutting edge. Wigan actually had the better chances and could easily have won.

Just an illustration of how hard to predict this league is.

Hitchens60 April 14, 2019 at 3:08 pm . Reply

Norwich might just think they’re home and dry. Will they come to us with their holiday bags packed, wearing sun glasses and bathers 🙂

DSVilla April 14, 2019 at 4:17 pm . Reply

Or alternatively we could face Leeds and Norwich both chasing top spot 🙁
        Fabulous win yesterday though, and we are looking good.

Holte66 April 14, 2019 at 4:37 pm . Reply

Looking at our competition for a play off place, realistically it’s between Villa, Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Derby for the last two places. If we can make it 10 out of 10 then I think we will have done enough. With the games our challengers face it looks unlikely that they will collate enough points to push us out of the top six. Bolton and Millwall are typical banana skin games but we mustn’t let our levels drop because momentum into the playoffs could be vital. If we can remain unbeaten till the end of the season then we will be the team they will all want to avoid.

nath April 14, 2019 at 6:14 pm . Reply

that norwich draw lost me my bet, can’t beat pie eaters and you are top of the table. don’t fancy them for a long stay in the promise land. straight back to championship lets be havin you

Bum Bum April 15, 2019 at 2:54 pm . Reply

A bit like the 3 due for the drop from the EPL…