Villa 2 – 1 Bristol City; It could have been six!

Well, what an entertaining game that was.
The headline score makes it seem close, but the reality is we could have had a boat-load of goals today, if it wasn’t for Max O’Leary playing an absolute blinder. He made that many close range and reaction saves that I lost count.
Hourihane spurned three chances before he finally managed to score.

This was another very good performance against a decent side, although I have to say I don’t think City offered much.
Lee Johnson quite rightly pointed out that City would have an advantage in having an extra day’s rest and I think he was right, as we did look a little leggy.

The only blot for me today was Elmohamady, who seemed to give the ball away more often than not, but it’s hard to criticise anyone when we’ve just won eight games on the trot for the first time since 1975.

The big concern today was how we would get on without Jack Grealish and while I think we missed him, we created loads of chances and scoring goals doesn’t look to be a problem. We maintained our average of 2 goals a game at home.
Even rusty Keinan Davies was unlucky and should have scored.

Given that I think we looked a little tired at times (albeit still playing well), I think the squad is going to come into play more and more as the games keep coming.
Even though we looked light in the centre of defence on paper, it proved to not be so and Jedinak did well.

Special mention should be made about Jed Steer.
I think he looks very confident when the ball is played back to him quickly and he distributes very well, even when under serious pressure.
That surely has to instill confidence in our defenders and no doubt has played a big part in the way we play at the back.

Well done lads and the Villa train keeps on rolling.
UTV!

Pat 57 April 13, 2019 at 5:41 pm . Reply

If that doesn’t fill the team with confidence then nothing will.

Still got Jack, Mings, Kodjia, to come back too. I think our squad will get us there. I can’t see any of the contenders around us winning all their games, they’re just too flaky. I honestly think that if we beat Bolton and Millwall then we’ll be there.

However, this is the Championship and anything can and will happen. Still we’re in with a chance and we couldn’t have foreseen that only ten games ago or so.

COYL

Tekkers48 April 13, 2019 at 5:57 pm . Reply

Well done lads. After the draw with Stoke in February I told my son that our only hope for playoffs was to win our last 12 games. He looked at me dejected and said so we wont make playoffs then. To give him some hope I told him that in football anything is possible even though based on our performances at the time i didnt think it was remotely possible. What a turn around. Hopefully two wins from last 4 will see us over the line.

Sidforever April 13, 2019 at 6:30 pm . Reply

Supporting Villa really does put a strain on the old heart.

Two months ago I really thought it was all over. Now we go on an incredible run of results. More over, we see an attacking style. It’s got me thinking of the best of Villa I’ve seen in many years – Saunders, Atkinson, Little and Gregory.

I really feel like I am on cloud nine. Whatever happens over the next 4 to 7 matches Smith’s style of play is becoming part of our DNA. I can’t and won’t speculate on the last four league matches. I just want to see more of Smith’s style of play.

This is one happy Villa fan loving UTV.

Pat 57 April 13, 2019 at 6:35 pm . Reply

“Supporting Villa really does put a strain on the old heart.”

Sid you are so right. However, I’m welcoming it now as not long ago I thought it would be a dull end to the season in mid-table. Just off to check my blood pressure 🙂

Holte66 April 13, 2019 at 7:04 pm . Reply

Just got back after another pulsating performance. When I got to VP and saw the team sheet I admit my heart sank quite a bit. No Mings and Hause I was prepared for… but no Grealish or Kodja and I was concerned. I needn’t have worried though because we were excellent again. First half we were okay without the final touches but second half we bullied them and should have been out of sight before their goal. After that we were still the team more likely to score.
    Atmosphere was superb in the holte and they got behind the team throughout, even after their goal the fans rallied behind the team when previously they would have groaned. Dean Smiths claret and blue army march on and whoever we meet should fear us now.

Holte66 April 13, 2019 at 7:07 pm . Reply

Also a mention to Taylor who was excellent again and looks like a totally different player to the one a couple of months ago.