Villa 2 – 0 Bolton; A win.

I readily admit that I’m an armchair supporter, mostly because of restraints placed upon me because of work.
So it was a pleasant change for me to actually get down to Villa park and watch the game in the flesh, so to speak and see things away from the TV perspective.
The same doesn’t apply to what I actually saw though.

I now fully understand how some fans think Jack Grealish slows the game down too much.

In fact, what I saw quite shocked me and while it might not be a popular view, I’m going to tell it as I saw it.

We’re bloody poor.

Apart from a five minute or so spell in the first half, where we applied some decent pressure, we looked very disjointed and massively lacking in the final third.

The whole side is too ponderous and slow and I fail to see how Dean Smith has made the slightest difference to anything yet.
That’s not necessarily a criticism of the manager, but it may well be a criticism of the players.
It’s almost like they’re over-thinking things and not playing naturally.

Still, you can’t knock a 2-0 win, even if it was against a truly awful Bolton side.
Strangely, I suspect they might have looked better on the telly, but trust me, they are rubbish and will seriously struggle.

Highlights?
Bolasie looks a couple of classes better than those around him.
McGinn worked his nuts off again and was my MOTM, although I think Chester might have got the award.
If that’s so, it’s sad that a defender got the award, even if he did get a goal.
Tuanzebe looks comfortable, but he never really had much to trouble him.

Lowlights?

Well, as I suggested, we look awfully ponderous and way too slow in every aspect.
I suspect a lot of it is down to confidence and while it seems we are trying, there is no cutting edge whatsoever.
I can’t put my finger on it, but taking time to take throw-ins gives you a clue.
There’s nowhere near enough urgency and the movement is just abysmal.
The ball just doesn’t go forward quickly enough to surprise any defenders.

Am I wrong?
Well, possibly, but I think a good judge is the opinion of the Holte end.
I was in the thick of it in K5, educating the grandkids in how to shout your lungs out, supporting the club.
I’ve got them in the net now and they’re “Villa till I die”.

But the Holte was fairly subdued.

While we won the game, I believe as things stand we don’t have a hope in hell of getting anywhere near promotion.

I predict a very tough time up to the winter window and beyond.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Benno November 4, 2018 at 3:41 pm .

It wasn’t a great performance but there is no doubt we are playing better football under Smith. Its gonna be really interesting to see who he picks up in January. It’s good to see that he is focusing on grealish as we all know he is our key player.

In the meantime we have to just keep picking up points and the games start to get a lot tougher now.

2. Bill Pearson November 4, 2018 at 4:29 pm .

Benno. you see it as i see it, he is our key man and Smith knows who is and who isn’t in that team, he opens places for other’s to move with him. The problem is we don’t have them players yet, we will get there you see.

3. Hitchens60 November 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm .

Hi Bill – how’s the Atlantic? Hope you and your missus having a good holiday. Like you can’t watch any games at present and not back into UK until Christmas so having to rely on BBC live text and the informative posts on here. Smith has a lot to do but the general views seem encouraging.

1. Bill Pearson November 4, 2018 at 5:38 pm .

Hi Hitch, second week was not so good on ship, it had to go round because of bad weather in the north Atlantic, missis was sea sick and many more on board.I knicked some sea sick pills at the medical centre and glad it helped them all. Was able to see premiere games but text for result with our club.I have to say had a good time with booze. My phone Bill must be high with calls as well but nice to get back.

1. Hitchens60 November 4, 2018 at 7:57 pm .

Sorry to hear of the bad weather – reckon that would have been Hurricane Oscar that was roaming around the mid / North Atlantic last week – bad luck so late in the season and that far north. Sadly I’m a bit of a hurricane anorak!

Bl***y expensive here – prices shot up since last year and poor USD rate but will be good for my liver as even the local rum is expensive so have to fall back on the local Banks beer which is pretty good.

Enjoy the Blues game and cheer the boys on to a win.

1. Bill Pearson November 4, 2018 at 8:33 pm .

Will do Hitch, take it easy mate.

4. Bill Pearson November 5, 2018 at 10:48 am .

Badger. Are you running a second astonvillanewsandviews on face book? as it seems strange with all your commitment, just asking Badger.

1. badger123 November 5, 2018 at 8:10 pm .

It’s just a link to this site Bill.
      I never look at it, tbh, as I can’t be doing with Facebook.

5. badger123 November 5, 2018 at 8:19 pm .

My Derby mate has two season tickets and has said I can go to the game with him, as long as I behave myself (he knows me of old, where I seriously took the piss when Yorke scored against them, while sat in the home stand).
    Top seats too, right on the halfway line.
    Very, very tempted even if it means sitting with the enemy, although I’ve done it before.

It all depends how busy we are at work.

1. Bill Pearson November 6, 2018 at 7:50 am .

Did the same Badger but didn’t back down.my son and his son next to me swop seats to carm us down.the dirty looks I kept getting till I said what you looking at that started it off again. Barmy lot them Derby fans.

6. Big Fat Ron November 6, 2018 at 12:38 am .

Don’t like to be negative but I’m predicting a 3-0 defeat, and that’s being optimistic. Derby are bang in form, beating top teams, and look like serious promotion contenders this time. I don’t see them fading away like in previous years. A point would be a superb result, but I can’t see it happening.

7. Pat 57 November 6, 2018 at 1:17 pm .

I’m not as pessimistic as BFR. Three out of Derby’s last six games have been draws which is why they’re only fifth in the table. Going forward we shouldn’t fear anyone in this league and certainly not Derby. They are on form at the moment but we all know how quickly that can change in this league.

I’m going for another draw but I suspect that Villa could sneak a win if things click up front.

8. Holte66 November 6, 2018 at 6:06 pm .

Depends what Villa turns up on Saturday. If it’s the one that lost to Sheffield United then we will be thrashed. I think Smith has brought a little more resilience since then although we still lost away to Norwich and QPR. I can’t see us winning but maybe we can sneak a draw. FWIW I would stick with a winning team, so the starting eleven that beat Bolton unless we have injuries or suspensions I’m not aware of. They will have had a week to recover and international break follows that so no excuse for tiredness.

9. Holte66 November 6, 2018 at 6:16 pm .

Happy birthday Sir Ron, 86 today. Legend!

1. badger123 November 6, 2018 at 7:14 pm .

Yes, Happy Birthday Ron. I hope he’s reasonably well wrt his illness.

As for the Derby game, my mate has given me a few pointers.
      I’ll save them for the preview on Friday, though.

1. Hitchens60 November 6, 2018 at 8:19 pm .

Would like to add my birthday wishes to Sir Ron who bought both success and happiness to Villa Park and all the fans.