Villa 1-3 Barnsley; There’s something very wrong at the Villa. Bruce POLL.

Let me get this straight from the off.
I’m utterly disgusted at the result today.
The fact that an ex Walsall player put two goals against us, says it all.

But I firmly believe that sacking Steve Bruce is not the solution to our problems.

I know. That’s going to go totally against the grain.
But there’s something badly wrong. There has to be.

Consider Nigel Spink believes there’s an over-hanging cancer at the club.
And now Tony Morley, after saying at half time that we could easily beat Barnsley, now seems to also accept that there’s something seriously wrong down the Villa.

I respect Morley and believe he can read a game.
I also believe Steve Bruce can read a game and is not a manager who has to rely on other so-called tactitians to tell him what to do.

So why are we starting out with the set-ups that we are and not making the subs when it seems they’re required?
Is Bruce really that poor a manager?

I’m not having that as an excuse, personally and think there’s something we’re not seeing from the outside.

That said, on the face of it, it’s simply appalling.
Morley says he can’t understand why we don’t make the changes when it’s blindingly obvious they’re needed.
I’m the same.
In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce wants the sack.
Which if you seriously think about it, is a frightening thought.

Because if someone of Bruce’s experience in handling players can’t cut it, what chance has any younger manager got?

Am I talking rubbish?
Think about it again.
Look at the managers we’ve had. The players we’ve changed. The hierarchy we’ve changed. The coaches etc we’ve changed. And even the owner.

Whatever has been changed, it simply hasn’t worked.

So is changing the manager again going to work?
I’m afraid I just don’t see it.

That said, I know my arguments aren’t going to cut much ice.
Morley said we could beat Barnsley easy, at half time, but basically described us as a load of jellyfish ten minutes after.

The facts are that if we carry this on, we’re going down; no ifs and buts.
And I know it’s what you’re thinking too.

And it’s why I’m reluctantly putting a poll up.

Sad days.

1. jvillan February 14, 2017 at 10:26 pm . Reply

badger
    do you read what you have wrote
    one line says keep bruce next lines its his fault
    you also have said something about a reason gabby was been played ?
    its a bit like bruce team sheet something different each time

2. bws February 14, 2017 at 10:29 pm . Reply

Wants the sack?
    Sounds about right, I’ve posted before we must be top on the football league managers pension portfolio!

3. Craig February 14, 2017 at 10:29 pm . Reply

It’s a results game we’ve done a man city of the championship (spent millions) and find ourselves scrapping for our lives it’s only going to get worse

4. marvin February 14, 2017 at 10:31 pm . Reply

The bottom line is that someone has to take charge on and off the pitch. For a team that is mainly made up of former captains you would think there would be better understanding/direction/fight.

For Bruce, it all started to unravel in December and now it has just become a steady decline with the new players trying to settle into the club whilst trying to put a shift in. How Bruce doesn’t know who his best formation, or starting 11, by now is just crazy. It’s madness the whole thing – Gabby, Johnstone, constant formation changes, failing to make changes during games, and today bringing Grealish right back after suspension. I appreciate him trying to build something, but the reality is things are getting worse, not better. I thought we needed stability under Garde, but after all the changes that came with the new ownership I just don’t know what the club needs to improve. It’s now beyond poor individual performances and now after multiple sackings and transfers the whole club has lost it’s identity.

1. bws February 14, 2017 at 10:35 pm . Reply

Mate it lost it’s identity the day Randy started peeling oranges in his pocket, MON walked and AMc took up the reins.

1. marvin February 14, 2017 at 10:52 pm . Reply

Lerner’s gone – its ok, he can’t hurt you anymore.

1. bws February 14, 2017 at 11:18 pm . Reply

Oh dear a Lerner movie, Marvin, now how do I put this, right here we go…
          Once open a time there was football club, a very successful steeped in history football club that had never been outside the top flight of English football since the formation of the EPL (1992 mate). Then one day there came a knock at the door at Villa Park and standing there was a man with a bag of gold proclaiming he wanted to be the custodian of this historic football club.
          The people cheered and rejoiced but little did they know their pleasure would be short lived!
          The man painted a pub and a changing room and the people cheered again.
          He invested for few seasons and three top six finishes ensued and the people saw it was good .
          Then the man had a change of heart, put away his bag of gold and let the club wither on the vine and the rest is (as they say) history.
          (Look it Marvin)

5. Villain1 February 14, 2017 at 10:32 pm . Reply

Anyone else think Johnstone is the worst keeper we’ve ever had? I cant think of worse. Another Bruce masterstroke and another reason to get him out. We can’t keep pandering to Man Utd playing someone clearly out of his depth

1. marvin February 14, 2017 at 10:44 pm . Reply

Given after the Euros was pretty bad, although Johnstone should never have been considered and introduced as an improvement to Gollini, who also made mistakes but actually had a good record in comparison.

6. saddened February 14, 2017 at 10:33 pm . Reply

Bottom of the form guide, our strikers obviously don’t like each other and a manager that looks like every other recent Villa manager… clueless..
    We are dropping like a stone, there is something hugely wrong at the club and now I am thinking we will be relegated !!!

7. Astonished Villain February 14, 2017 at 11:00 pm . Reply

Too many changes starting with AFCON when the momentum stopped. The team is weaker without Jedi. Johnstone has made errors to lose us games but hasn’t pulled off anything to keep us in games. Gollini made mistakes but also pulled off some smart saves but still one for the future. Bruce has got his formations wrong since AFCON and transfer window; plays 5 at back against Ipswich who don’t score many then goes attacking against Barnsley who have scored a few. Grealish was definitely the wrong player to play with 2 attack minded midfielders, as he doesn’t work hard enough. Give Bruce until last 10 games and if it doesn’t work then new manager in for last 7 games and no more than 3 players in summer, one of which would be goalkeeper

8. B6 February 14, 2017 at 11:08 pm . Reply

Well well well…That has to be on of the most embarrassing nights I’ve witnessed at Villa Park.

Fair play to Barnsley, they worked their socks off for each other, closed us down, got in our faces and then played some really decent football.

Us? We backed off and backed off and backed off, we made it so easy for them it’s unreal.

If we showed just a small percentage of the passion and commitment that Barnsley showed we may of given them a decent game.

Tactics? Most of the time we had the ball it was Baker and Chester playing between themselves for a couple of passes then one of them punting it long to nobody in particular. Why they play hoof-ball up to Hogan who looks about 4 foot fuckall beggars belief.

It got to the point where Grealish was cheered for being taken off and every save that Johnstone made was greeted with a cheer.

Just clueless, no desire, no passion, no commitment, no game plan, no leaders, no midfield.

Think I’ll leave it another few years before I step foot in there again.

One more thing….we can’t keep sacking managers, we desperately need stability. In my opinion we should give Bruce at least 18 months, I believe he will turn it around.Now that’s going to go down well I feel.

IN BRUCE I TRUST.

UTV

9. originallondonlion February 14, 2017 at 11:08 pm . Reply

A poor goalkeeper affects the whole team. You can’t start bedding in a lot of newcomers if your keeper is totally sub-standard, Johnstone is: he started brightly but is getting worse by the game. I don’t know why we spent so much money on other positions, but nothing on a keeper. We accepted a Manure loan – OK it might have worked, but we clearly don’t rate Bunn better than a stop gap so why weren’t we buying a proven stopper?

1. Hitchens 60 February 15, 2017 at 7:37 am . Reply

OLL – we can only surmise but it seems pretty clear that Gollini wanted out hence Bunn playing as, although he did make mistakes, his all round keeping was pretty good. With Steer injured we needed a replacement and took what we could get (needs dropping but I suspect we are being forced to play him) rather than who we wanted. New GK will be top of summer priorities as long as we can survive this season.

1. originallondonlion February 15, 2017 at 12:54 pm . Reply

I wish I could believe you Hitch but there seem to be a lot of managers who are blind to the shortcomings of their keepers. I said, right from the time Guzan was voted PoY, that he was so bad he would take us down. He did. RDM was the first manager to see that and get a replacement. Bruce has put up with dud keepers before, they got him sacked. He is not the only one, Eddie Howe can’t see that Boruc is his ticket back to the Championship.

2. bws February 15, 2017 at 1:10 pm . Reply

A keeper?
      To stop us being out played, fought and thought, lacking any organisation desire or drive?
      I think our problems may run a little deeper than that.