Villa 1 – 2 Sheff Weds; That’s enough, BRUCE OUT!

I really wanted to think about things before I posted anything, but I’m afraid I can’t resist anymore.

It seems most Villa sites are just as reticent as me to actually call for Bruce’s head, probably because they realise, just the same as me, that a lot of what he says makes sense.

I’m trying to be absolutely fair here, so just bare with me.

We had massive upheaval in the summer and Bruce was looking to get rid of anyone who was worth anything, purely to keep the club alive.
That’s a poor situation to be in.

We’re all great managers on paper, but consider what Bruce must have been thinking at the time.

And then it changed on a sixpence, where the new owners came in, which must have been equally as shocking.
So now, Bruce, who was probably part way through negotiations about some players leaving, then has to say it might not happen.

And then maybe, it does after all, as even minted owners have to comply with FFP.

I wouldn’t wish that situation on anyone, as it must be the world’s worst nightmare for a manager in any field, let alone footy.

But that’s where the excuses end.

We’ve signed some great players on loan.
El Ghazi, Bolasie and Abraham seem inspired signings.
And I salute Bruce for getting them in.

But after today, I’m just not seeing how he will make them work for us.
Even if he does to a certain extent, I am pretty sure that it won’t be to their best.

So what actually happened today?

Well, quite simply, we huffed and puffed at a reasonable rate, just the same as we always do under Bruce.

We showed great effort and intent for about 10 minutes, where we massively worried Wednesday, but the rest of it was all far too pedestrian; just the same as we’ve complained about for a long time.

It comes down to simple facts again and Wednesday looked the better team and created more chances.
All while we’re at home.

This is now quite simply unnaceptable.
We’re being bettered by lesser teams.

And as much as I really wanted Bruce to come good for us, now I believe he’s not capable.

If the Elphick rumour is remotely true (and I suspect it probably is), it makes sense.
The manager has too many favourites and is too quick to abandon anyone else, regardless of if they’ve performed well for him.
How must Adohmah feel, for example?

Whatever, it now seems to me that Bruce has shaken the squad up by some very brutal means.
A last roll of the dice, I reckon.
That still made us perform like that today.

A performance that was to my mind, bloody poor.

I really don’t think Bruce has anything left to contribute anymore.

I’d salute the bloke, for what he’s done for us, this far.
He’s stabilised us, without a doubt.

But now is the right time for him to go, as to my mind, there is no way he’s going to progress us as a team.

Go Steve, while some of us can still see your plus points.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 6
  1. Hitchens60 September 22, 2018 at 9:08 pm .

On a different note (but related I suppose) – what a goal by John McGinn and what a shame it wasn’t part of a winning performance BUT we shouldn’t have to rely on wonder strikes – they should be the icing on the cake not the cake itself!

I think we have a real player on our hands.

1. Bill Evans September 22, 2018 at 10:50 pm .

I like the player too but he also made some critical mistakes today.

2. Hitchens60 September 22, 2018 at 9:14 pm .

Just seen Bruce’s post match comments and he doesn’t get it – he’s losing or has lost those fans that have supported him against those dissenting voices from the outset – but he still seems to think the dissenters remain a minority (being the less intelligent?) of the fans.

It’s sad to see him grasping at the straws of past records.

3. Holte66 September 22, 2018 at 9:43 pm .

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce is still in charge for next game. He seems to have some sway with the ones at the top. I still don’t get why he dropped Tuanzebe after a decent game at CB. Jedinak is more effective in front of the back four although that depends on the opponents. If we are playing a powerful team play Tuanzebe at CB and Jedinak in front of the back line. If we are up against a mobile team then Jedinak shouldn’t feature. Hutton isn’t the player he was last season, and the goalkeeper isn’t proving an improvement over Steer. After dropping Elphick after a winning goal scoring performance, his decisions are baffling everyone. The players must be losing confidence in him. What do the coaching staff do during the week? It looks like they get together just for match days. 100 games is more than enough to have developed a good team, and he still believes he deserves more time! He is totally deluded.

4. Villain1 September 23, 2018 at 6:48 am .

I’m getting more concerned about Sawiris, Edens and Purslow with every passing day they allow that dinosaur to continue in the role of manager.
    We all know Bruce has his media pals who will stop at nothing to paint a different picture, but the club needs to show some determination and vision for once.
    Congratulations to McGinn on a great goal though – he like most of the squad will benefit from a 21st century manager as opposed to a relic from the past whose only method seems to be attacking a loyal and frustrated fanbase who deserve far, far better.

5. Mark September 23, 2018 at 8:57 am .

I am not the sort of person who demands a change of manager just because things are not going well. However, Bruce has had more than enough time to give us an idea as to whether or not we are going to make it back to the top flight. I am fed up with his excuses about losing six players in the summer, not knowing what the future holds due to the finances and other rubbish. He has, at his disposal, the squad with by far the most quality in the division. It is his tactics that are seriously failing. The spine of the team has not been replaced. Nyland is no better than a Sunday League keeper, god knows who recommended him and Jedinak is, despite Bruce’s expert opinion, not a centre back. Furthermore, he keeps messing around with Adomah, having transfer listed him and then putting him back in the team. The same with Hourihane.Personally I don’t think he is that good. With the attacking potential we have, we should be all over teams but we play at a far too pedestrian rate. The centre back situation has become a joke. You only need to look at how many goals we have conceded to see that the defence is definitely lacking.
    I don’t know who is out there to replace him but surely we are better off than the two steps forward and one step back scenario with him in charge.

6. Bill Pearson September 23, 2018 at 9:25 am .

Mark, my sentiment, I’m fed up saying that very same thing every game.we play now. Bruce has had enough time and player’s to put things right, every time after the match he makes excuse then has a go at the unintelligent fans. Our owner’s must now make their minds up and get Bruce away for his own sake , he now loosing respect from Villa fans. I’m not giving anymore money to see matches enough is enough.

7. DSVilla September 23, 2018 at 12:21 pm .

Bruce says we are going to practice defence this week. Doh!

8. keith reilly September 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm .

I cant work out how far we have to fall before Bruce has to go…..are the owners waiting for a magical date before they do it ?

9. VillaAwayinDiv3 September 23, 2018 at 12:55 pm .

Ha ha I could get my comment above to post and finally it did but only with my name…..trying again with my user name…lol

10. VillaAwayinDiv3 September 23, 2018 at 12:56 pm .

Couldnt……….Hopefully it has remembered me now..