Villa 2 – 0 Everton; Get the f*ck in there! 3 points!

Well, I’m happy to say I called this wrong and we won, simple.

Everton are classed as a middle to top tier side, but offered very little, overall.
So where does that leave us?

Wesley proved to be a consistent thorn in Everton’s side and scored a cracker after a lovely through ball by Jota.

Wesley did extremely well and directly faced up to a bit of “treatment” .
The lad has balls way bigger than mine and proved himself tonight.

The pressure on him to score was massive and he came up with the goods, simple.
He’s a massive star in the making and reminds me of Benteke.

But he also needs to chill out a little.
I can’t put my finger on anything he did wrong, but it’s just a feeling.
He’s a natural and we just have to supply him.

This was a strange game though, as I always look at the midfield and it seemed non-existent on our part.

Did Grealish, McGinn and whoever, actually play?
It didn’t seem like it, as the game mostly by-passed them until we needed to defend later on.

Which is where my MOTM has to be a wide player.

I thought Jota was excellent.
He ran his balls off, passed to Wesley for the goal and tracked back later on, when I thought we were under the cosh.

As much as I thought Wesley deserves the accolades, Jota gets the MOTM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Bill Pearson August 23, 2019 at 10:36 pm .

Get it right Badger 2- 0

Paul Jordinson August 23, 2019 at 10:37 pm .

Badger please get the score right 2-0 to the villa.

Pat 57 August 23, 2019 at 10:44 pm .

Well I’d give every man on the field tonight the award personally but I agree that Jota was immense.

We were a team. You can see that there’s still some gaps here and there but when we got it together we were good to watch. Honestly think we can only get better.

I have to say that the 12th man was awesome tonight. Even watching it on TV the atmosphere came across. A great night!

Sidforever August 23, 2019 at 11:09 pm .

It was a team performance. Every single player put in a shift.

We are now a team with some good players.

Heaton is a match saver
    Engels match saver
    Mings match saver
    McGinn match winner
    Grealish match winner
    Wesley match winner
    All others contribute and can turn into savers and winners.

Well done Dean Smith. No own goals tonight meant the opposition had to break us down. Something Everton did not do, Bournemouth also did not do and Spurs (a top 3 side) could do after our gift.

We will be alright this season. There will be some great results and some shockers. I really think this is the start of our rejuvenation. Next stop bigger Villa Park and regular European action.

Muzzvill August 23, 2019 at 11:24 pm .

Wesley man of the match the bloke is a tank waz a little worried after first 2 games but having watched him this eve massive potential there Benteky Mark 2 only better 👀if that’s lossible

Big Fat Ron August 23, 2019 at 11:37 pm .

Just got back from the game. What an atmosphere! Absolutely magnificent and no doubt it got the boys over the line.

Here are my observations having watched the match from row C of the middle of the upper Trinity:
    Heaton didn’t have a save to make BUT Everton missed 3 clear open chances.
    Guilbert was superb.
    Taylor was faultless defensively but the one time he got the chance to put a decent ball in, he ballooned it out for a goal kick.
    Mings and Engels were colossal. Mings is motm for me, hands down.
    Jota was brilliant. Showed plenty of flashes of PL quality and the all important assist
    McGinn is worth more than 50 mil. Everything he did was faultless and classy. In total control and is always a step ahead in his though process.
    Grealish was ok but needs to shoot quicker.
    Trez battled throughout but nothing happened for him creatively
    Wesley was so isolated at times and he did get deliberately roughed up throughout. He needs players closer too him. Delighted he got his goal.

I’m sure the gaffer and his staff have plenty to work on, especially the chances Everton created, but it was always going to be our night. Well done the mascot who confidently called it at 2-0 pre match!

UTV

Big Fat Ron August 23, 2019 at 11:48 pm .

Forgot to mention Luiz. He did his job brilliantly. Combative and determined throughout. Maybe he went under the radar when watching on TV, but he was a tremendous shield for the defence.

Originallondonlion August 23, 2019 at 11:57 pm .

VP sounded phenomenal on the Radio!. I did call this one right after the doom n gloom of last Saturday. It will do all the new players a power of good to have been part of that, and increase their confidence.

I will make a bold prediction after the late goal also. BBC R5 commentators described Villa’s last substitution as being “intended to double up at full-back and see the game out”. Under the past half dozen managers thast would have been correct, and with a fair chance of us inviting the pressure and conceding. If we can get used to the idea that Fergietime is when we go up the other end and bag another goal it will herald the biggest change in our mental state. No less than a winning mentality.

Pat 57 August 24, 2019 at 5:44 am .

Still sinking in that we not only got our first points but played quite well against a team expected to be aiming for the top six.

After the game Dean talked about the ‘togetherness’ of the team and the fans.That ‘togetherness’ will go a long way to ensuring we’ll stay in this division. Well done the twelfth man.

So Palace next up and am I being overly optimistic in thinking that we can (and even should) come away with something? You can still see the joins here and there but I think we’ve improved massively since the Spurs game and Dean is getting quite close to his best eleven.

BTW love the differing opinions about the man of the match, it just shows how well they all played.

COYL