Villa 0 – Swansea 3: A shambles. What the hell has happened to us?

It’s well and truly “wheels have fallen off” now, isn’t it?

I listened to the first half on WM while driving home and then the second half on AVTV.
AVTV weren’t so critical, as you’d expect, but WM were pretty scathing and basically said we were awful.
The Mail and various other online articles back this up.

Suffice to say, it wasn’t good.

We made six changes and I doubt anyone would really have argued much against them before the game.
Yes, some players were played out of position, but I think this was more about Dean Smith getting a look at who could step up.
And it proved disappointing all round, from what I heard. Indeed, the only player who carried himself well was John McGinn, who sounded like the only player that cared.

The most disappointing part for me (apart from Kalinic seemingly dropping a clanger so early) was Callum O’Hare.
I’ve wanted to see him get a chance, but WM didn’t pull any punches in hinting that he was a boy playing a man’s game, with the way he was muscled off the ball so easily.
The boos from the fans when he was substituted suggest he should have stayed on, but I suspect the reality is that he was probably having a shocker. Certainly, from what I was hearing, either he didn’t have a clue what the manager expected of him or Smith simply wasn’t getting his message across properly.
Either way, I’d suggest it was the better solution to hook him rather than let him have a whole game being ineffective.

Also disappointing is the fact that absolutely no one stepped up.
Hogan missed chances and Lansbury tried, but it was all huff and puff with absolutely no quality to be found in the side.

After a great start under Dean Smith, we’ve moved onto a very, very poor run of results and any hopes of promotion seem to be going out of the window rapidly.
If Abraham does actually go, you have to wonder where the goals will come from, as I hinted recently.

I suspect this will be a massive eye-opener for the manager and given that I really don’t think he’ll have much money to spend in this window, I also suspect he’ll be very worried.

Interesting, albeit concerning times.
It seems the squad needs quite a bit of a overhaul, but Smith won’t be able to do much.

We all knew that the “feelgood” factor was too good to last, didn’t we?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
  1. DSVilla January 7, 2019 at 8:45 pm .

Villa’s U23 side beating Man Utd 4-1 at the moment

2. Bill Pearson January 7, 2019 at 8:51 pm .

Keep it going Hitch, like you’ve said time is not on our side, got a bit of news Villa under 23s are thrashing Man utd 23s 4-1 . Bring on the kids.

3. DSVilla January 7, 2019 at 8:52 pm .

5-1. Nice to beat them at any level.

4. Bill Pearson January 7, 2019 at 8:53 pm .

Beat me to it DS.

5. Bum Bum January 7, 2019 at 9:14 pm .

Are you aware that as the fascination with gin is subsiding, brewers are using their distilleries to create bespoke rum? Should be an interesting couple of years for rum, sod the football!!!

1. Hitchens60 January 7, 2019 at 9:31 pm .

Bum Bum – Four Square Rum in Barbados make fabulous bespoke rums – not sure what you can get in the UK but worth a little Google. As well as their own Four Square brand they market under R&L Seale and Doorly’s

Their 2006 is rare and sells for £300 a bottle. Was lucky enough to enjoy a few tots whilst away – stands up with the best malt whisky’s.

If you can get their 2005, well worth it.

Good hunting

1. DSVilla January 7, 2019 at 11:16 pm .

Duppy’s Share and Rumbullion are nice

1. Hitchens60 January 8, 2019 at 12:23 pm .

Try Bumbu – made in Barbados – lots of caramel and banana – yum! Also Four Square spiced rum – keeps winning world’s best spiced rum – like drinking Christmas pudding.

6. Hitchens60 January 8, 2019 at 7:15 am .

Jordan Lydon being recalled from loan with Oldham. This is a lad who was highly rated and on the verge of the first team squad until a couple of bad injuries pushed back his development.

Smith wants him around to decide whether or not to give him a new contract.

All round it seems a sensible move.

7. Hitchens60 January 8, 2019 at 10:12 am .

Gary Rowett sacked by Stoke!

8. Badger123 January 8, 2019 at 11:57 am .

I’m not surprised Hitch.

Have we really loaned a player with an ongoing foot injury?

1. Hitchens60 January 8, 2019 at 12:16 pm .

Apparently so!

But here’s a positive piece of news – Hitchens60 goes positive with a piece from the Guardian saying Abraham has turned down a loan move to Wolves preferring to stay at Villa.

According to the paper, he would be open to a permanent move to a Prem Club in January but another loan move us unappealing. I read Chelsea not interested in selling.

Hope they’re right

1. Badger123 January 8, 2019 at 12:31 pm .

That makes sense.
        Would he really want to up sticks for just a few months, so soon after his move to us?
        Although tbf, that was about the only reason I thought he might actually go to Wolves (not having to move).

9. Hitchens60 January 8, 2019 at 12:27 pm .

Abraham staying now being widely reported in media including Sky Sports – so it must be right LOL

10. Bill Pearson January 8, 2019 at 2:20 pm .

Brilliant news that Hitch, I wonder though why he never went to training?thinking about it he might have been given the time to sort himself out, good news.