Uefa to dump FFP? Game changer, if so.

This is a new one on me, but Birmingham Live are reporting that Uefa are about to drop FFP and replace it with another scheme, which will give clubs a lot more financial freedom.

Link below.

This is fantastic news for Aston Villa, because with the club having some of the wealthiest owners in the game, it will at least leave us free to not have to worry about what we spend so much.
Of course it also means some of the other bigger clubs will also be able to spend more freely, but it should still leave us with a fair advantage over most other clubs.
That’s if our owners are inclined to spend, of course, but there’s no reason to think they wouldn’t want to try and push on.

There is a cautionary side to this news that concerns me somewhat though.
While I’ve never been keen on FFP because it disadvantages some clubs like ours, so I’ve also no doubt whatsoever that it has also at least slowed the spending of some clubs that couldn’t afford it.
Well, I say that, but clubs like Bury and Macclesfield have still gone bump, haven’t they?
I’m not exactly sure what caused their woes, but no doubt whichever way you cut it, they spent way more than they could afford.
Hmm, okay, let’s say I hope it stopped some clubs overspending.

Nothing’s been explained yet and there’s plenty of room for us to have been misled and Eufa end up just tweaking things, but in our case if they do massively loosen their hold on our purse-strings, this is great news.

What price was Aguero again?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Hitchens60 March 25, 2021 at 7:15 am .

Never been a fan of FFP which always seemed counter intuitive to me and massively favoured teams like the ‘Sky 6’ anyway. Recognising that fundamentally it’s a failure of cash flow (liquidity) that causes business failure (I know – over simplification) it always struck me as odd that clubs falling foul of FFP were penalised in such a way that it added to their liquidity problems!

If I recall correctly one of the reasons FFP was introduced was to prevent ‘wealthy’ owners from directly contributing to the failure of clubs – Portsmouth being a prime example – but it didn’t prevent owners like Dr. T. from pretty much busting Villa for exactly the same reason.

I doubt it’s passing will be mourned by many

Bill Pearson.. March 25, 2021 at 7:44 am .

Nor me Hitch did more damage than helping clubs, I wonder what dastardly idea they have for clubs because UEFA tend to favour wealthy clubs and sod the little struggling clubs. We will no doubt learn soon and be astonished on what they do.

Hitchens60 March 25, 2021 at 3:23 pm .

Wasn’t Beckenbaeur instrumental in bringing FFP in? I always thought it was directed mainly against EPL clubs because at that time we were dominating Europe. Interesting then that it’s now German clubs doing the same thing – so it probably worked!

Or am I just a massive cynic? 🙂

Holte66 March 25, 2021 at 9:58 pm .

Congratulations to Ollie. Great to see him and Mings work their way up to the highest level from the lower leagues.

Sidforever March 26, 2021 at 7:14 am .

Badger the potential end of FFP is to be welcomed. The most straightforward way football can safeguard owner investment is to insist on investment being share capital. No director loans allowed. Just like our owners keep increasing their investment on our club through ordinary shares.

It means taking our own club. Mr Learner has been reported as receiving £30 due to loans he made the club. If it had been share capital he would have received nothing due to his poor mismanagement of our club. This approach would act as a wake up call to owners.

The only ones who could avoid this is where clubs are owned by rich states e.g Man City.

I don’t expect our owners to go mad on extra investment but it will give them that opportunity to invest as they see fit.

Bum Bum March 27, 2021 at 9:27 am .

FFP. A rule originally written with the best intentions. But as we know, the road the hell is paved with good intentions. No good deed goes unpunished etc, etc…
    That’s enough philosophy for a Saturday morning.
    For me the only good and significant change would be for the Sky 6 to bugger off and form their own super league ASAP. They can play each other every week, just like Rangers and Celtic. Boring, boring, boring.

Adam March 29, 2021 at 1:17 pm .

I understand your thinking and I was also in favour, but then I was thinking would I want us to be competing in a league where we would be competing at the top with the likes of West Ham, Everton and Leeds? Not really. It doesn’t really excite me. There wouldn’t be the same feeling of euphoria for winning the league as there is now, nor would it attract anywhere near the money it does now meaning we would lose out big time. I personally look forward to those massive games against the best to hopefully see us get one over on them. Without the big 6, the Premier League will feel like a slightly upgraded Championship.

Adam March 29, 2021 at 1:57 pm .

In other news, Carney Chukwuemeka scored for the England u18’s this afternoon. I love watching him play, so similar to Grealish in the way he glides with the ball. I honestly think he could play in the first team now. Tall and strong much rather see him play than Barkley. Aaron Ramsey was captain and Louie Barry also played. Great core of youth talent at our disposal now. Hope we get to blood them in this season. Could save us lots of money instead of wasting millions on Barkley etc. Futures Bright that’s for sure.